NT/OT

crossnote

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Why do you suppose there is so much doctrinal teaching in the NT (e.g. Rom 1-11, Gal 1-5, Eph 1-4, Heb 1-10 etc. etc.) almost reminding one of systematic theology in contrast to the OT which is mainly historical, poetical and Prophetic?

Why do you suppose there is so much doctrinal teaching in the NT (e.g. Rom 1-11, Gal 1-5, Eph 1-4, Heb 1-10 etc. etc.) almost reminding one of systematic theology in contrast to the OT which is mainly historical, poetical and Prophetic?
I would suggest the main key is that without parables Christ the anointing teacher (Holy Spirit) spoke not. In that way (mixing faith) we can rightly divide the historical temporal from the hidden spiritual understanding.

2 Corinthians 4:18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

Therefore parables teach us how to walk by faith the unseen as shown in Hebrews 4 mixing faith the eternal with that seen the temporal, the historical .Giving us the signified understandings called golden reed of faith in Revelation.

Revelation 21:15 And he that talked with me had a golden reed to measure the city, and the gates thereof, and the wall thereof.

Gates and wall represent those born again using the golden measure of faith . not the litreal inches yards fet e.t.c. Again using the temporal seen to give us the hidden manna the language of parables.

Because the New Covenant has come upon us and explains more fully God's Kingdom (the now) to His people, which was outlined for us by the prophets of old, and which we needed to understand fully from the Word of God (reminds me of the Berean verse in Acts 17:11, searching the scriptures daily to see if what Paul was saying is true).

"Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true."

It took me about 1 year to work out a basic systematic theology as a new Christian from Scripture, because Scripture interprets Scripture and thus becomes expository, so this automatically takes you into a systematic theology quite naturally.

I actually read systematic theology books after that in order to learn how to best explain what I knew, because our elders have this all worked out communicatively.. which I think is pretty cool.

Helps to explain better, I think. But then I was somehow naturally drawn to systematic theology - so I could just be weird :rolleyes:.

But I do honestly think the Word just leads us into that direction, as you also seem to see.

Last edited:

The NT seems to be more concise making it is easier to teach from, but the OT often provides the details and the backup experiences to the NT teachings. We need both to have a clearer picture of the whole context of God's word.

I still haven't got into systematic theology just yet.

Because the New Covenant has come upon us and explains more fully God's Kingdom (the now) to His people, which was outlined for us by the prophets of old, and which we needed to understand fully from the Word of God (reminds me of the Berean verse in Acts 17:11, searching the scriptures daily to see if what Paul was saying is true).

"Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true."

It took me about 1 year to work out a basic systematic theology as a new Christian from Scripture, because Scripture interprets Scripture and thus becomes expository, so this automatically takes you into a systematic theology quite naturally.

I actually read systematic theology books after that in order to learn how to best explain what I knew, because our elders have this all worked out communicatively.. which I think is pretty cool.

Helps to explain better, I think. But then I was somehow naturally drawn to systematic theology - so I could just be weird :rolleyes:.

But I do honestly think the Word just leads us into that direction, as you also seem to see.

Just curious what does . . . because our elders have this all worked out communicatively.. mean?

You have a great blessing in the way you do offer a understanding, cystal clear. . I would say weird but not according to the new born again nature the new nature. . Our fingerprints

2 Corinthians 4:13 We having the same spirit of faith, according as it is written, I believed, and therefore have I spoken; we also believe, and therefore speak;

I would suggest the main key is that without parables Christ the anointing teacher (Holy Spirit) spoke not. In that way (mixing faith) we can rightly divide the historical temporal from the hidden spiritual understanding.

2 Corinthians 4:18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

Therefore parables teach us how to walk by faith the unseen as shown in Hebrews 4 mixing faith the eternal with that seen the temporal, the historical .Giving us the signified understandings called golden reed of faith in Revelation.

Revelation 21:15 And he that talked with me had a golden reed to measure the city, and the gates thereof, and the wall thereof.

Gates and wall represent those born again using the golden measure of faith . not the litreal inches yards fet e.t.c. Again using the temporal seen to give us the hidden manna the language of parables.
Yet our Faith is based on what was seen by eyewitnesses not on parables, similies or metaphors.

The NT seems to be more concise making it is easier to teach from, but the OT often provides the details and the backup experiences to the NT teachings. We need both to have a clearer picture of the whole context of God's word.

I still haven't got into systematic theology just yet.
Systematic Theology= trying to arrange eternal wisdom into a finite logical package.
(IOW, it is helpful but has it's limitations.)

Just curious what does . . . because our elders have this all worked out communicatively.. mean?

You have a great blessing in the way you do offer a understanding, cystal clear. . I would say weird but not according to the new born again nature the new nature. . Our fingerprints

2 Corinthians 4:13 We having the same spirit of faith, according as it is written, I believed, and therefore have I spoken; we also believe, and therefore speak;

When I said that, I simply meant their wording on issues like Christology, Salvation etc etc and such is well versed and well thought out and offers a clear, concise understanding of what the Word of God is teaching us...

I have to explain Christianity to my son (he's not a Christian) and often my stepson and I sit and discuss God's word as well (though he was raised Christian he likes talking to me about it, and my experience with Christ etc) and as my grandchildren grow we will share Christ with them...(I have 5 grandchildren now)

It's often best, to communicate our faith effectively, and I do think a lot of Pastors spent a lot of time throughout history to word various doctrinal stances in a very effective manner.

Last edited:
Due to doctrine of Progressive revelation!

Yet our Faith is based on what was seen by eyewitnesses not on parables, similies or metaphors.

I would think the eye witness is a product of prophecy or parables the figuretive tongue the suffering of Christ before hand and the glory the things sseen that follow .

Parables teach us how to walk by faith . Mixing faith the eternal with what the eyes see the temporal then we have entered his rest. .

Cerimoinial laws are prophecy . The whole period of time there were kings in Israel is a parable .

Not the unseen work that works in mankind. .sign follow after . parables help us understand prophecy

Parables teach us how to walk by faith . Mixing faith the eternal with what the eyes see the temporal then we have entered his rest. .
Actually the Holy Spirit teaches us how to walk by faith. It comes through the eyes of the new birth. The natural man (man apart from the new birth) cannot receive that which belongs to faith....

1 Corinthians 2:12-14 (KJV) Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God. Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

1 John 2:27 (KJV) But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

I believe that's partially true, but don't you think progressive revelation was already happening from Genesis to Chronicles (Malachi in our Bible)? Progressive revelation went on steroids in the NT.

Yes but can you see why that was? God was literally walking with man, talking with him, sitting and teaching him - and they recorded it all.

There's a huge difference between the language of prophecy of old that signified events foretold but yet unseen to one who communicated that message to others, and God among us all, seen, Who patiently and clearly explained that language to us, and what it means to us as we enter into the New Covenant with God.

It's truly beautiful that we got to see this; it's why Jesus said:

"For truly, I say to you, many prophets and righteous people longed to see what you see, and did not see it, and to hear what you hear, and did not hear it." Matthew 13:18

Revelation exploded into reality, for all to see. :)

Yes but can you see why that was? God was literally walking with man, talking with him, sitting and teaching him - and they recorded it all.

There's a huge difference between the language of prophecy of old that signified events foretold but yet unseen to one who communicated that message to others, and God among us all, seen, Who patiently and clearly explained that language to us, and what it means to us as we enter into the New Covenant with God.

It's truly beautiful that we got to see this; it's why Jesus said:

"For truly, I say to you, many prophets and righteous people longed to see what you see, and did not see it, and to hear what you hear, and did not hear it." Matthew 13:18

Revelation exploded into reality, for all to see. :)
Good points and Scriptural backup, but I am sure you would still agree that there was a progression in revelation from the Fall until the babe in the manger.

Actually the Holy Spirit teaches us how to walk by faith. It comes through the eyes of the new birth. The natural man (man apart from the new birth) cannot receive that which belongs to faith....

1 Corinthians 2:12-14 (KJV) Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God. Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

1 John 2:27 (KJV) But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Yes. I would offer natural man cannot receive the signified understanding hid in parables. Spiritual words or words of faith. . . from faith the unseen understanding to faith . Also called face to face.. the understanding of faith .

The whole period of Kings in Israel the (abomination of desolation). It is understood as a parable or figure . The Holy Spirit using parables to teach us how to walk after the unseen understanding of God.

Without parables the signified tongue of God the Holy Spirit spoke not. I would think in lieu of that commandment or hermeneutic prescriptions needed to rightly divide the parables we should search the literal historical and perhaps find the anointed spiritual understanding or teaching.

Signifying using the temporal things seen mixing them with the unseen eternal.

The work of reformation restoring the government of God to before there were kings, the pagan foundation.

Hebrew 9: 8 The Holy Ghost this signifying, that the way into the holiest of all was not yet made manifest, while as the first tabernacle was yet standing: Which was a figure for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience; Which stood only in meats and drinks, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation.

1 Peter 1: 9-11 Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls. Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you: Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow.

Through the understanding of parables 1 Peter would seem to indicate parables (shadows) do teach us as the Holy Spirit works in us to both will and perform the power of his good pleasure . We look back by faith as it is written they looked ahead to the unseen gospel understanding. .

Back