Nugget of Nudge

The most confirming evidence in my life that “the Spirit of God bears witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God” (Rom 8:16), is seeing the ever-present desire in me to please God. If this is not always what means the most to you, it’s most likely you have yet to be reborn, for in every believer, “God works in you to will and do His good pleasure” (Phl 2:13).

Though with our new nature (new man) we “will” to please God more than all things, the desire of our old nature (old man) is yet ever attempting self-opposition, which the Spirit’s opposition manifests (Gal 4:17). As I continue to “walk circumspectly” (Eph 5:15), I find myself often occupied with awareness of my old man, which observation seems sensible, it being the closest opposition of three (self, Satan and society); and I’m beginning to believe that the other two, especially the Devil, can only approach through the old nature, for the new nature which is after Christ (Col 3:10) is impeccable (1Jhn 3:9).

I find that the more active I become with fellowship and service in God, the more I am shown an increased understanding of the depth in the decadency of my sin nature (old man). It’s not that it becomes more degenerate, but rather more of the capacity of its decadency is increasingly revealed to me, for it’s as bad as it will ever be and cannot get any worse.

“Putting off the old man” (Col 3:9; Eph 4:22) during opposition for me means reminding myself to “cast” the “care” of it on the Lord (1Pe 5:7) by realizing He’s just using it to continue to teach me to exercise my faith in knowing that He uses it, and “all things,” to my advantage (Rom 8:28); which is “according to the purpose of Him who works all things after the counsel of His own will” (Eph 1:11). The greater the “patient endurance” (Heb 6:15), the greater the glorification of God!

Resting Above (Eph 2:6)
NC

Hello Netchaplain;

Can you please distinguish between "our works" and "His works?" Does this question make sense?

God understands that just because we read the Bible we are to walk away feeling as long as "we do the work" He will bless us.
God wants our love, hearts, dependence, trust and faith. This pleases God.

He will "do the work" even when we don't feel like being obedient to Him. This also means God empowers us to do what pleases Him. Perhaps the most humbling is when we confess to God we are weak, in our disobedience to Him. God will help and carry us in our weaknesses.

But there are lessons. We must be committed to reading His Word, daily, so He can teach us to distinguish between "our work" and "His work."

Philippians 2:13, 13 for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.

God bless you, Netchaplain and your family.

Hello Netchaplain;

Can you please distinguish between "our works" and "His works?" Does this question make sense?

God understands that just because we read the Bible we are to walk away feeling as long as "we do the work" He will bless us.
God wants our love, hearts, dependence, trust and faith. This pleases God.

He will "do the work" even when we don't feel like being obedient to Him. This also means God empowers us to do what pleases Him. Perhaps the most humbling is when we confess to God we are weak, in our disobedience to Him. God will help and carry us in our weaknesses.

But there are lessons. We must be committed to reading His Word, daily, so He can teach us to distinguish between "our work" and "His work."

Philippians 2:13, 13 for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.

God bless you, Netchaplain and your family.
Hi Brother! Always enjoy our fellowship, which is in one another via the Spirit; and it's greatly encouraging to know it's now and forever!

To me, "our works" are manifested in two ways: those deriving from the old nature, which are after the first man Adam; and those from the new nature after the second Man, or last Adam (1Cor 15:45, 47). Thus Christ's works are done by Himself through using us to walk in them and share them with others, and all this of course is by the Spirit in us (the signature I use at the bottom of my posts explains it).

I agree with the rest of your reply here and find it good instruction!

Back