Obedience to God

Just as a man and woman in marriage are to cleave to one another (be joined together as if glued). In a sense a man and wife share a common spirit as well.

Our relationship with Christ is also pictured as a bride with her groom.

cp

Actually the translation you used had me looking at the scripture again in a new light as I reread it in the KJV. It always fascinates me how God brings us kernels of understanding and continues to link his word together in a fuller and fuller picture.

cp

Actually the translation you used had me looking at the scripture again in a new light as I reread it in the KJV. It always fascinates me how God brings us kernels of understanding and continues to link his word together in a fuller and fuller picture.

cp
Actually, I did not grow up with the KJV of the bible. And I'm guessing that the majority of people
in this day and age use one of the more modern translations. So when I post something,
it should be said in a way people everyone can understand.

I fully agree. Each of us should have a primary study bible using whatever translation makes sense to them. With so many translations available today it has become necessary for good communication sake to note the translation.

Is there a particular translation that you are finding more common today?

cp

Actually, I did not grow up with the KJV of the bible. And I'm guessing that the majority of people
in this day and age use one of the more modern translations. So when I post something,
it should be said in a way people everyone can understand.
I use the NASB for that very reason. No one says "thee" and "thou" in the general population. The NASB is translated from the original manuscripts, as was the KJV, but in modern words without loss of meaning. God is timeless but He doesn't require that we read His Word in an outdated format. Old English is not sacred, God's Word is.

I fully agree. Each of us should have a primary study bible using whatever translation makes sense to them. With so many translations available today it has become necessary for good communication sake to note the translation.

Is there a particular translation that you are finding more common today?

cp
I have a bible program called "WordSearch 11" It has many different translations.
I use:

1. Amplified
  2. Bible in Basic English
  3. English Standard
  4. NET Bible
  5. New American Standard Bible
  6. New Century Version
  7. New International Version
  8. New King James Version
  9. The Living Bible
  10. New Living Translation

Furthermore, if a particular language format were the requirement in order to read the Bible we should all be reading it in Greek, Hebrew, and Latin. We would have to know those three languages.

Anyway, the NASB reads, "But the one who joins himself to the Lord is one spirit
with Him" (I Corinthians 6:17). I praise God that He has taken me out of the depths of the flesh, a vain wonderer, and grafted me into His Eternal Holiness.

Fortunately, none of this detracts form understanding the Bible especially when we compare several translations.

This translation of 1 Cor 6:17 has given me a new perspective on a verse I've read many times.

cp

But if you give yourself to the Lord,
you and Christ are joined together as one person
.”
1 Corinthians 6:17

True faith is verified in your obedience to God.
[John MacArthur]

Naturally, God Speaks
View attachment 5231

I have a bible program called "WordSearch 11" It has many different translations.
I use:

1. Amplified
  2. Bible in Basic English
  3. English Standard
  4. NET Bible
  5. New American Standard Bible
  6. New Century Version
  7. New International Version
  8. New King James Version
  9. The Living Bible
  10. New Living Translation

Hello Bob;

Thank you for sharing. My wife and I had a conversation about this just last night! Paul was teaching this passage regarding an immorality issue but he offers us hope in being united as one in Christ.

On an interesting side note, you listed 10 versions of God's Word. We will be surprised at how many other translations around the world were vetted and denied by the publishers for good reason. What you list are acceptable translations.

When one reads the KJV, ESV, NASB, etc..many have responded to the Great Commission and introduced Christ to new believers. Years ago my first Bible was the Amplified and was given to me by a brother. It took me 8 years to finish (go figure why they call it the Amplified?) but I felt comfortable reading and was able to grasp my new understanding of the Bible. From there we witnessed to those who gave their life to Jesus.

God bless you, Bob and your family.

Back