Observation Deck

Observation Deck

OBSERVATION DECK

I arrived at the airport two and half hours early. I was there to surprise the special man in my life. He had no idea I was picking him up. Now mind you, I am a gal from the countryside and here I found myself in the hustle and bustle of a city airport.

It was late Sunday evening. There was lots of activity going on within the terminal. I found my way to the observation deck. The airport provided a comfortable waiting area.

I found a seat in the rocking chair by the huge glass windows. It was foggy and drizzling outside. I settled into the chair with a steaming cup of coffee and my bible. The first hour passed by quickly. My eyes were getting tired from reading and plus I had just driven two hours to get there.

My mind made the decision to observe what was going on around me. A few of the airport workers were having a late dinner. Families gathered in small huddles to either say goodbye or hello to their loved ones. My eyes turned toward the window. A loud roaring noise came first and then I saw a plane come into sight. Within minutes another plane would come of the clouds to make its landing. It was unbelievable how precise the timing was of the flight patterns.

The monitor in front of me displayed all the flight numbers and what gate they would be landing at. My lucky flight number was 224 from Charlotte. The information line displayed the flight was enroute. He was getting closer. Soon the display switched and read In Range. My heart started skipping a few more beats. After about five minutes, the display showed Landing. Butterflies were starting to fly around in my stomach. The word Ground came into view. I knew he was home safe. Roaring noises could still be heard as more planes taxied in. In big bold letters, the word ARRIVED flashed.

An unexpected moment was about to happen. My knees were weak with excitement! The butterflies were on a mission within! I stood there waiting to see his grin. People kept walking through the terminal. Where is he? Will he see me? After what seemed like an eternity, he came walking through security. Our eyes met and the warmth flowed across the room. A big kiss and hug hello followed. What an awesome feeling to wait and surprise one I cared so much for. An even more awesome feeling is the love and feelings he shares with me. This person appreciates me. He loves me.

As I sit here this morning and reflect, I thought about all of you and your planes in life. Where is your plane headed? Has it taken off in flight yet? Is it lost in the clouds? Are you enroute? Are you in range? Do you find yourself coming down to the ground? Better yet, have you arrived at your destination in life yet?

Surviving an alcoholic relationship brings many flight patterns into our life. When in denial, we keep circling and circling and getting nowhere and are in a hold pattern. As the fog lifts, our path becomes a little clearer. The plane starts to set a clearer path. Turbulence will set in. Boundaries will need to be set to bring your plane back on path.
Personal Goals will need to be developed. As you work on the process of reinventing yourself, your personal plan of life will come into range. You will be able to enjoy the ride. As each day is a new start and each small step is taken, you will be closer to being grounded.

Your destination of freedom will be closer. I can hear the speakers announcing now,
“Personal flight number SELF1 has now arrived. Passengers will be arriving at the Gate of Life”.

The vision is still in my mind. He and I walking across the parking lot hand in hand with such peace felt within. It took a long time for my plane to land. I met with many struggles and turbulences. I did not give up. I made the choice to land my plane of life in the right direction. You can have the same. It is all up to you. You just have to make the choice to board the runway.

Happy Landing!

August 21, 2006
Faithwoman

Back