Ocean

My favorite place to travel is on the west coast of Vancouver Island to Schooner Cove. There's a parking lot and then you have to walk down to the ocean along a long pathway of wooden stairs and walkways and ramps winding through an old growth forest. The closer you get to the ocean the louder the roar of the ocean and the gnarly-er the trees get from the sand and wind and salt. After about half an hour you finally get to the bottom and out into the open, and the roar of the ocean is wonderfully deafening. I feel so small when I'm there and reminded that God is infinitely bigger. I try to go there during storms and watch the wild weather and waves. When they still allowed camping there I would set up on a little cliff and then spend the day walking mile after mile along the sand listening to the ocean and praying, and then at night looking up at the stars and celebrating God for all His goodness.

I've visited Victoria several times, but never seen the rest of Vancouver Island. One of these days we hope to get up there again and perhaps explore the various roadways and see much more of the island.

Are there other parts of Vancouver Island that you recommend as a must see?

I found this picture online of Schooner Cove a beautiful place to walk and meditate for sure.

672cdc7583296defa6bcb344e9c50a2f.jpg

I've visited Victoria several times, but never seen the rest of Vancouver Island. One of these days we hope to get up there again and perhaps explore the various roadways and see much more of the island.

Are there other parts of Vancouver Island that you recommend as a must see?

I found this picture online of Schooner Cove a beautiful place to walk and meditate for sure.

672cdc7583296defa6bcb344e9c50a2f.jpg
That rocky area on the left turns into an island when the tide comes in. If you want to see the walk down from the parking lot to the ocean, there are videos in youtube where people have recorded the entire thing:)

The whole west coast of Vancouver Island is amazing.

Can you swim in the sea when it’s quiet?
Or is it too cold and rocky?

My favorite place to travel is on the west coast of Vancouver Island to Schooner Cove. There's a parking lot and then you have to walk down to the ocean along a long pathway of wooden stairs and walkways and ramps winding through an old growth forest. The closer you get to the ocean the louder the roar of the ocean and the gnarly-er the trees get from the sand and wind and salt. After about half an hour you finally get to the bottom and out into the open, and the roar of the ocean is wonderfully deafening. I feel so small when I'm there and reminded that God is infinitely bigger. I try to go there during storms and watch the wild weather and waves. When they still allowed camping there I would set up on a little cliff and then spend the day walking mile after mile along the sand listening to the ocean and praying, and then at night looking up at the stars and celebrating God for all His goodness.

Hello Via;

I'm going to bet it's too cold and probably rocky. This reminds me of the time we went to Vancouver and Victoria Island during May, it was incredibly beautiful but cold.

I also love the ocean sounds and the beach waves. There is a difference. Watching the ocean from a ship and sound mesmerizes me. When I'm at the beach I can sit for a period of time watching the waves and the sound.

They're both coming from God, makes me stand in awe, that these are nothing compared to how Mighty is He!

In the summer, the ocean off the BC coast is cold but quite swimmable (is that a word?) Some areas have a lot of tiny rocks but there are sandy areas. When the tide goes way out, there's a lot of wavy wet sand. And when the tide comes back in, it's that sand that you'd be walking on if you go in the water. But you have to beware the barnacles that'll attach to some of the rocky areas. Even in a large sandy area, there will be some rocks with the sharp barnacles.

It's too cold to swim from October til mid May. But the waves are attractive to the surfers, and they'll go out there even in the cold months with a wet suit. The west coast of Vancouver Island is a surfer paradise. I've never surfed and probably never will, and I've swam in the open ocean only a few times.

In the summer, the ocean off the BC coast is cold but quite swimmable (is that a word?) Some areas have a lot of tiny rocks but there are sandy areas. When the tide goes way out, there's a lot of wavy wet sand. And when the tide comes back in, it's that sand that you'd be walking on if you go in the water. But you have to beware the barnacles that'll attach to some of the rocky areas. Even in a large sandy area, there will be some rocks with the sharp barnacles.

It's too cold to swim from October til mid May. But the waves are attractive to the surfers, and they'll go out there even in the cold months with a wet suit. The west coast of Vancouver Island is a surfer paradise. I've never surfed and probably never will, and I've swam in the open ocean only a few times.

Yes, Autumn, swim able. lol!

Growing up in San Diego I body surfed by swimming out and then waiting for wave we would swim with the wave coming back in and let the wave carry us. It's fun but we had to be careful of currents.

Thats why they made both wet and dry suits~ jus' sayin' :)
Im too old and out of shape these days to try to willfully drown, or get slammed into whatever.
Theres a lot of rocks, reefs, shells, jelly fish, and sharks to find surfing enjoyable at this life juncture.

West coast waters are about equal to the north east as far as temps = cold cold and colder.
I will stay here in the south, where even now the average water temp in mid winter is around 50F/10C. I will go for a dip on hot days without a lot of wind.
In the summer its around 75F and above when hot. Our water here is beautiful; its a shade of greenish blue, and has been Caribbean blue before. It changes to that drab grayish again around the northern outer banks, and further to the south around Southpoint. The ocean doesnt change color again till down into the Florida keys.

Sis and I went out for a walk the other day in Piha which is a famous west coast beach in Auckland, up round the cliffs overlooking the sea and beach. The Tasman sea on this side is wild surf and the sands are black iron sands.
There's a lot of bull kelp in the water.

It was a perfect afternoon the sky was so blue and so was the sea. Looking on to the horizon is amazing to just gaze into the blue with nothing interrupting it. If we stayed we could see the sunset and then the stars as there are no lights the sky would be glorious.

It's not often I get out to the beach, it's really quite a treat to go and get away from everyone and be totally surrounded by nature.

Sis and I went out for a walk the other day in Piha which is a famous west coast beach in Auckland, up round the cliffs overlooking the sea and beach. The Tasman sea on this side is wild surf and the sands are black iron sands.
There's a lot of bull kelp in the water.

It was a perfect afternoon the sky was so blue and so was the sea. Looking on to the horizon is amazing to just gaze into the blue with nothing interrupting it. If we stayed we could see the sunset and then the stars as there are no lights the sky would be glorious.

It's not often I get out to the beach, it's really quite a treat to go and get away from everyone and be totally surrounded by nature.
God's artwork at its best! ❤️

Back