On hearing God's voice

John 10:27-30 KJVS
My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
[28] And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
[29] My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.
[30] I and my Father are one.

Do you hear from God? Do you recognize that still small voice? If you are a born again Christian and have afterwards been baptized in His Holy Spirit then then you can hear from God.

But you say "how does He speak", in what ways"? God speaks with unlimited methods. Through a very small, still, gentle Inner voice with words is one way.

Also through circumstances, events, happenings. It is said that the prophet Isaiah was referring to God's voice through circumstances when he wrote;

Isaiah 8:11 KJVS
For the Lord spake thus to me with a strong hand, and instructed me that I should not walk in the way of this people, saying...

There are times of great stress and pressure when we cry out to God to speak to us, guide us and comfort us. These times make it difficult or nearly impossible to hear Him. We can be in such inner turmoil we can't easily hear. The Bible confirms that God avoids our storms;

1 Kings 19:11-12 KJVS
And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the Lord . And, behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the Lord ; but the Lord was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the Lord was not in the earthquake:
[12] And after the earthquake a fire; but the Lord was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice.

God can speak without speaking. So many times over the years I've been seeking Jesus intently for guidance and direction in some matter. Though I didn't hear a voice at all suddenly somehow by the spirit of God I knew exactly what to do. Or in some important matter that I'd been seeking His face about I had a joyful knowing that it was settled. That an outcome favorable to me was finished.

Quite often the Lord will give us an answer of peace through the living words of the Bible. The words of this book are not ordinary words of men but extraordinary words of the living God. Once I had been seeking Him for days needing an answer of peace about a job change. I had an opportunity to go to a job in another city and was struggling to make the decision. I wanted to know God's perfect will. After praying all weekend I went to work on Monday and sat at my desk. I don't remember hearing anything from Him but taking g my little new testament from my shirt pocket I turned to the book of Acts chapter 20. There in verse 22 I read;

Acts 20:22 KJVS
And now, behold, I go bound in the spirit unto Jerusalem, not knowing the things that shall befall me there:

I had my answer! God was sending me to the new job! I got up and went to give two weeks notice. I was off on a new set of adventures with Jesus!

And your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, "This is the way, walk in it," when you turn to the right or when you turn to the left.
Isaiah 30:21 ESV

We were once thinking of a mini-vacation. We had little money but wanted to go to Eureka Springs, Arkansas and see the passion play. We prayed about it and the Lord then gave me a scripture;

Joshua 17:15 KJVS
And Joshua answered them, If thou be a great people, then get thee up to the wood country , and cut down for thyself there in the land of the Perizzites and of the giants, if mount Ephraim be too narrow for thee.

A clear answer! Amazingly my sister called just then and asked if my wife and I wanted to go camp at Eureka Springs! Wonderful confirmation. It was all for a purpose because while there my wife and I helped lead a man to the Lord. We received a letter from him and he'd turned His life over to Jesus. A wonderful answer.

God will speak through the "putting out of a fleece" sometimes. Just as He did for Jonathan Saul's son. We must continually seek the face of God through prayer, worship and praise. Sometimes in the midst of praising Him He will answer us or deliver us. With the Lord there is no restriction on how His answer will come. It may come quickly or at the last minute.

Prayer combined with fasting is a powerful spiritual weapon and tool. There have been times in my past that after fasting and praying the Lord would give me a dream or vision showing me an important teaching or lesson. The scripture confirms this event.

Matthew 6:17-18 KJVS
But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face;
[18] That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly.

Acts 2:17 KJVS
And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

The primary thing, the always thing is to never ever stop praying and looking for Him and His answer to you. Just like Pharaoh the Lord will give you an answer of peace. The kingdom of God is not meat nor drink but is;

Righteousness
Peace
And joy.

The righteousness is given us by grace through our Lord Jesus Christ
The peace from the prince of peace is a answer that we are in agreement with God's will for us. (see Genesis 41:16) the joy of the Lord is our strength and is an answer from God and can be found in Ecclesiastes.

Ecclesiastes 5:20 KJVS
For he shall not much remember the days of his life; because God answereth him in the joy of his heart.

See? When you receive an answer from the Holy Spirit, Jesus, then you will have joy and peace anoint you like a wonderful oil. You will have heard from God as Jesus promised His sheep, and you will know His voice. The more you listen for Him the easier it is to recognize His voice.

John 10:4-5 KJVS
And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.
[5] And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.

John 10:27-30 KJVS
My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
[28] And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
[29] My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.
[30] I and my Father are one.

Do you hear from God? Do you recognize that still small voice? If you are a born again Christian and have afterwards been baptized in His Holy Spirit then then you can hear from God.

But you say "how does He speak", in what ways"? God speaks with unlimited methods. Through a very small, still, gentle Inner voice with words is one way.

Also through circumstances, events, happenings. It is said that the prophet Isaiah was referring to God's voice through circumstances when he wrote;

Isaiah 8:11 KJVS
For the Lord spake thus to me with a strong hand, and instructed me that I should not walk in the way of this people, saying...

There are times of great stress and pressure when we cry out to God to speak to us, guide us and comfort us. These times make it difficult or nearly impossible to hear Him. We can be in such inner turmoil we can't easily hear. The Bible confirms that God avoids our storms;

1 Kings 19:11-12 KJVS
And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the Lord . And, behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the Lord ; but the Lord was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the Lord was not in the earthquake:
[12] And after the earthquake a fire; but the Lord was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice.

God can speak without speaking. So many times over the years I've been seeking Jesus intently for guidance and direction in some matter. Though I didn't hear a voice at all suddenly somehow by the spirit of God I knew exactly what to do. Or in some important matter that I'd been seeking His face about I had a joyful knowing that it was settled. That an outcome favorable to me was finished.

Quite often the Lord will give us an answer of peace through the living words of the Bible. The words of this book are not ordinary words of men but extraordinary words of the living God. Once I had been seeking Him for days needing an answer of peace about a job change. I had an opportunity to go to a job in another city and was struggling to make the decision. I wanted to know God's perfect will. After praying all weekend I went to work on Monday and sat at my desk. I don't remember hearing anything from Him but taking g my little new testament from my shirt pocket I turned to the book of Acts chapter 20. There in verse 22 I read;

Acts 20:22 KJVS
And now, behold, I go bound in the spirit unto Jerusalem, not knowing the things that shall befall me there:

I had my answer! God was sending me to the new job! I got up and went to give two weeks notice. I was off on a new set of adventures with Jesus!

And your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, "This is the way, walk in it," when you turn to the right or when you turn to the left.
Isaiah 30:21 ESV

We were once thinking of a mini-vacation. We had little money but wanted to go to Eureka Springs, Arkansas and see the passion play. We prayed about it and the Lord then gave me a scripture;

Joshua 17:15 KJVS
And Joshua answered them, If thou be a great people, then get thee up to the wood country , and cut down for thyself there in the land of the Perizzites and of the giants, if mount Ephraim be too narrow for thee.

A clear answer! Amazingly my sister called just then and asked if my wife and I wanted to go camp at Eureka Springs! Wonderful confirmation. It was all for a purpose because while there my wife and I helped lead a man to the Lord. We received a letter from him and he'd turned His life over to Jesus. A wonderful answer.

God will speak through the "putting out of a fleece" sometimes. Just as He did for Jonathan Saul's son. We must continually seek the face of God through prayer, worship and praise. Sometimes in the midst of praising Him He will answer us or deliver us. With the Lord there is no restriction on how His answer will come. It may come quickly or at the last minute.

Prayer combined with fasting is a powerful spiritual weapon and tool. There have been times in my past that after fasting and praying the Lord would give me a dream or vision showing me an important teaching or lesson. The scripture confirms this event.

Matthew 6:17-18 KJVS
But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face;
[18] That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly.

Acts 2:17 KJVS
And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

The primary thing, the always thing is to never ever stop praying and looking for Him and His answer to you. Just like Pharaoh the Lord will give you an answer of peace. The kingdom of God is not meat nor drink but is;

Righteousness
Peace
And joy.

The righteousness is given us by grace through our Lord Jesus Christ
The peace from the prince of peace is a answer that we are in agreement with God's will for us. (see Genesis 41:16) the joy of the Lord is our strength and is an answer from God and can be found in Ecclesiastes.

Ecclesiastes 5:20 KJVS
For he shall not much remember the days of his life; because God answereth him in the joy of his heart.

See? When you receive an answer from the Holy Spirit, Jesus, then you will have joy and peace anoint you like a wonderful oil. You will have heard from God as Jesus promised His sheep, and you will know His voice. The more you listen for Him the easier it is to recognize His voice.

John 10:4-5 KJVS
And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.
[5] And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.

Awesome words of wisdom my friend. Thank you for blessing us with this thread!
God bless you and your family abundantly

Back