On reading

Laura Ingall Wilder's sister Mary in Little House on the Prairie books I remember became blind.
I did see the Miracle Worker movie.

Also I think there was a movie starring Audrey Hepburn where she played a blind person. I can't recall the name.

Mr Rochester in Jane Eyre
Marilla in Anne of Green Gables.
Wasn't there a blind hymn writer - Fanny ???
Isaac also was a bit blind as he couldn't tell the difference between his twin sons in his old age.

Though vision impairment (and hearing loss) tends to be common amongst older people, it's harder for the young to be afflicted.

Harvard is the #1 most popular school attended by members of the US congress. In other words, it's the school with the most influence over the US government.
oh ok.
Is it like Eton and then Oxford university in England. There's a rivalry between Oxford and Cambridge, though am not sure what exactly the differences are.

Here I don't think it matters what school you go to, though Kings is supposed to be the best for leaders here. I was head hunted for Kings but I took the other job instead. Well anyway its too late now. I just couldn't face the hour long commute. But I probably would have been ok there though you never really know these things.

Here I don't think it matters what school you go to, though Kings is supposed to be the best for leaders here.
If all you want is knowledge then most any school will do. After all, most of your knowledge will be self-learned if that's your focus. As for university, the rich and powerful go to university to network. It's the modern equivalent of marrying your daughters to the rival kings. It's all about who you know.

hmm I went to university to read books in their library.
We were mostly all poor students. I don't think I ever met any student who was rich.

The rich ones tended to go down to study at Otago as their parents could afford to send/fly them down but they still stayed in grotty student flats.

Thanks for recommendations

I read two more books about blind people - having guide dogs, canes and braille helps as does mobility training. Also talking books.

There are a more tactile books you can now buy, especially for toddlers where they can touch the pictures, but braille books are great, though probably expensive to produce. At the public library there is large print books too.

I am hoping my eyesight doesn't get any worse (I have myopia) but I always wear glasses because I like seeing things clearly. I know some people hate wearing them or pretend they don't need them...but I don't care what others think I'm wearing mine! You can get nice frames they don't have to be ugly.

Sometimes I think dyslexic readers just need coloured lenses for reading rather than the publishers try and print everything on yellow paper as some do. Maybe one day I'll learn braille.

I love reading out loud though and think I'd like to volunteer doing that for a blind person. But maybe see what happens with this job first.

Back