One heck of a penance John 21:20-24 NKJV

So, I've read this a few weeks ago and it's still swirling around my brain. My understanding of the passage is that Judas Iscariat has been, and will continue to walk the earth until Jesus returns.
Your thoughts?
20 Then Peter, turning around, saw the disciple whom Jesus loved following, who also had leaned on His breast at the supper, and said, “Lord, who is the one who betrays You?”
21 Peter, seeing him, said to Jesus, “But Lord, what about this man?”
22 Jesus said to him, “If I will that he remain till I come, what is that to you? You follow Me.”
23 Then this saying went out among the brethren that this disciple would not die. Yet Jesus did not say to him that he would not die, but, “If I will that he remain till I come, what is that to you?”
24 This is the disciple who testifies of these things, and wrote these things; and we know that his testimony is true.

My thoughts are that verse 23 makes it clear and the disciples understood that Jesus was _not_ saying what you are asking about.

23 Then went this saying abroad among the brethren, that that disciple should not die: yet Jesus said not unto him, He shall not die; but, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee?
John 21:23 (KJV)

The disciples were asking whether they should seek retribution on the betrayer but our Lord replied that this is should not be important to them.

So, I've read this a few weeks ago and it's still swirling around my brain. My understanding of the passage is that Judas Iscariat has been, and will continue to walk the earth until Jesus returns.
Your thoughts?
20 Then Peter, turning around, saw the disciple whom Jesus loved following, who also had leaned on His breast at the supper, and said, “Lord, who is the one who betrays You?”
22 Jesus said to him, “If I will that he remain till I come, what is that to you? You follow Me.”
23 Then this saying went out among the brethren that this disciple would not die. Yet Jesus did not say to him that he would not die, but, “If I will that he remain till I come, what is that to you?”
24 This is the disciple who testifies of these things, and wrote these things; and we know that his testimony is true.

The focus and context was at John......not Judas.

There was a common notion in that day that said John was not going to die. John wrote this to counteract that rumor/gossip.

Your thoughts?
You are mixing the verses. You are mixing the supper of Jesus with his disciples in the book of John, with the very ending of the book of John. Everyone read your bibles, and do not do what this person has done.

Back