Only A Friend Would Do That!

You hold the power of definition, as much as you've adjusted how you define certain things, based upon your life experiences. There's an entertainer in the world who built an entertainment empire, in the sense of his contribution to the community that he functions in, who receive his legacy with open arms. In recent years this "beloved" man has been charged with a "heinous amount" of sexual crimes. When I would see him on the news, the spirit showed me something very interesting. A noteworthy amount of times and on a regular basis, he would wear something strange during his photo ops. He would always wear a shirt that said "Hello Friend." He disarmed those whom he met by accosting them with his reputation and this invitational piece of armor. When his legacy began to collapse, one particular station where I live continued to play his sitcoms, but I refuse to watch it, and am offended that the network would continue to air his work. I had to ask myself why would they do that? The answer is: he's a friend of that particular community. When Jesus began his ministry He was around thousands of people, and He ultimately chose twelve disciples. Social intimacies change with advancement within bureaucracies. Now, not only are they disciples of Jesus, but they now also have a different relationship with the Romans and religious authorities. If I have an enemy, and my friend becomes friends with my enemy; do I still consider that person to be my friend? Now wait a minute, it doesn't stop here. Jesus then promotes the disciples to the office of Apostle. Before the crucifixion, the crowd told Caesar that if he let Jesus go, that he wasn't a Friend of Caesar! It reached the point in the Gospel of John where Jesus adds another title to His relationship with these men. He calls them Friends! There are men and women who are saints and have reached the degree where they are called friends. We always talk about free will, but when we refer to the twelve disciples, some of us act like they were accompanying Jesus against their own will. They received the call and chose to partake in His ministry: Only Friends Would Do That. The Gospel of John 15:15 reads "Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knows not what his lord does; but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you."

Interestng how facebook tries to call everyone you know 'friends' but they actually may not really be friends. You dont want to share your life with just anyone...

With entertainers, they can present themselves to be one thing on 'the worlds stage' and then be completely different off it. Its because they are performing, its a mask so to speak. Televison is all illusion just like theatre is. These people dont really know you, they are just acting and given lines to say. The audience is just passively observing them from a seat or sofa. Its not as if there is a real relationship there.

The thing with Jesus is he tore the veil that was between people and God away so He could dwell with us. In OT times many people thought God was not real in that we could have a relationship with Him, He was just God to be feared and obeyed and worshipped. The israelites sometimes acted like they begrudged God service. Some would rather be slaves in Egypt than be subject to a Holy God!

JEsus showed us He is our Father who has adopted us into His family. So He really knows us because who knows us better than the people closest to us i.e our family. Not the people on tv given lines to say!

Cturtle

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
A noteworthy amount of times and on a regular basis, he would wear something strange during his photo ops. He would always wear a shirt that said "Hello Friend." He disarmed those whom he met by accosting them with his reputation and this invitational piece of armor.
As i read this part of your post.. it reminded me of the devil. he tries to come into ones life as a friend or very subtle and tricky.. deception is his m.o. he is playing a part.. making wrong things very appealing. And he does it in such a way.. that it's not immediate, but a little question of is this really right, or a little of this or that won't hurt me.. how bad could this really be. It's a slow compromise.. until the person has fully taken the plunge into what has been offered.

We as believers need to train ourselves to be constantly on the watch for the smallest detours from the Word. For those small compromises can lead to big failures if not caught.

Jesus is Thee Way.. Thee Truth and Thee Life. As we make the choice to abide in an intimate relationship with Him (The One True Vine) we will be able to repent quickly even for being offended... And also pray and forgive those to whom have been taken captive by the enemy at his will, and don't realize they are in a prison of death. .. asking Father to grant unto them the gift of repentance so that they may rescue themselves from the snare of the enemy... just like He extended to us.. Glory to His Mighty Name

Cturtle

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
If I have an enemy, and my friend becomes friends with my enemy; do I still consider that person to be my friend?
Depends upon how much your friend. And if they are in a dangerous friendship with the enemy... they will need our intessory prayer, our support and our love so that they can be rescued by Father out of a friendship that may be detrimental to their health.