Our Two “I’s”

Believers function by two natures: I the old man and I the new, but “live” and “walk” only after one (Gal 5:25), because nobody can have two masters (Mat 6:24). It’s not merely in the desire to sin, but also in the willingness to sin that confirms the “dominion” of sin (Ro 6:14) in the “natural man”! Believers, in the presence of desiring sin via the old nature, will not to sin via the new; and believers are what they are after the new nature, not the old, because though it is in us—we are not in it, “but in the Spirit” (Ro 8:9).

This answers to Paul’s “I’s” in the Seventh of Romans: “it is no longer I (after the new man) who do it, but sin (I in the old man) that dwells in me”; “if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me” (vs 17, 20). It’s the new man—the “I myself” (Ro 7:25)—that we are after, and by which God always considers us, it being the “nature” by which we are “partakers of the divine nature” of Christ (2Pe 1:4).

“Whosoever is born of God does not commit sin; for His seed remains in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God” (1Jn 3:9). The “seed” within the believer is the “new man” or new nature from Christ, which is where we do not sin, and is the “no longer I who do it” (Ro 7:17, 20). Where we sin is in the old nature, which is the “sin that dwells in me”; of which we are free concerning its guilt and dominion, and from which God completely separates our souls. Regardless of discouraging and disappointing times, and from where they came (which are only faith-strengthening exercises), I am never in that which I “serve after the flesh,” but always in that which “with the mind I myself serve” (Ro 7:25).

Hello Netchaplain;

This a good parallel between the two I's and two masters. In Matthew 6:24, 24 “No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.

Is Jesus specifically referring to "God and money" as serving two masters, or an example of serving God and other things? I feel either way, the two I's could also represent serving God (new man obedience) and desiring self sin (old man desire to sin.)

In Romans 7 Paul's articulation of the I''s can be a little difficult to understand. The more I read Romans 7:15-20, I feel Paul could have simplified what he was teaching, but who am I? lol! However, the theology of the two I's does help us understand.

God bless you and your family, Bob.

Hello Netchaplain;

This a good parallel between the two I's and two masters. In Matthew 6:24, 24 “No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.

Is Jesus specifically referring to "God and money" as serving two masters, or an example of serving God and other things? I feel either way, the two I's could also represent serving God (new man obedience) and desiring self sin (old man desire to sin.)

In Romans 7 Paul's articulation of the I''s can be a little difficult to understand. The more I read Romans 7:15-20, I feel Paul could have simplified what he was teaching, but who am I? lol! However, the theology of the two I's does help us understand.

God bless you and your family, Bob.
Yes, Romans 7:15-20 is enough to make one go crazy. To me, Paul is saying that, while we do not want it, we cannot help that we are sinful. Kind of like the old saying "Do as I say, not as I do."

Yes, Romans 7:15-20 is enough to make one go crazy. To me, Paul is saying that, while we do not want it, we cannot help that we are sinful. Kind of like the old saying "Do as I say, not as I do."
Hi and thanks for your reply and site labors in Christ! It's good to know that it's the sin nature that God uses the most to teach us His holy nature!

Back