Panhandling Everywhere

Here's what I think about when I see all the healthy people panhandling under overpasses, on street corners, parking lot entrances, etc., all of whom are ignoring the "HIRING NOW" signs all over the place. When I took my wife to Chili's the other day, the place was mostly empty, and we had to wait for seating because they didn't have enough servers. If panhandlers put as much effort into serving customers in good restaurants, they might make as much from good tips as sitting out in the heat and cold, waiting for a public to enrich them, a public that is becoming increasingly tired of them being deadbeats not wanting to work for what they get.

When I lived in Abingdon, Virginia there was a couple who were panhandling at an intersection for about a week, the police started asking questions and the couple opened their duffel bag. According to the news report they had over $50,000 in the bag. The police and sheriff depts. told them to leave while they can and never return. When I am approached by these people I tell them where I have seen help wanted or now hiring signs. God said if a man won't work, don't feed him. I am a firm believer in helping others, but, when someone is refusing to work... I apply the word.

We don't really have them in nz, we used to have window washers though. They would stand in the middle of the intersection and as you stopped at the lights try to wash your windscreen in return for cash even if you didn't want them washed or had to go cos the lights changed.

I just thought that was a silly way to do it, when they could just maybe do it in carparks while you shopped or something. That way they wouldn't put anyone in danger and also do a better job for your whole car.

I don't mind buskers or if someone wants to sell something, like chocolate, or flowers etc. Lord knows if I was down on my luck I would do something, anything other than beg a random stranger for money. Well, except maybe prostitution.

I've been unemployed and I'm thankful I have been able to get the benefit/dole while I was job seeking. It was not much but it was enough to get by. Being poor is not fun but it is stupid to be poor and spending all your money on drugs.

I think its a good thing to have staff wanted or hiring now signs up and you can just walk in and ask for a job and get one.

This never used to happen starting from the 90s when jobs became scarce and you had to go through 100s of applications, time consuming interviews and rejection letters/emails and never get one.

Reminds me of that movie “trading places” when Eddie Murphy was doing the same thing.

But on a serious note; some people hate their jobs and prefer to scam the system. I think automated jobs have taken over some roles aswell. What do we do with all these unemployed people? I do think people like earning their keep it’s just that here in the U.K. it actually pays better to be unemployed. I heard one lady say she’s poor because she has a job!!!
So our system is backward and our economy is lacking.

No idea how to sort this out.

Reminds me of that movie “trading places” when Eddie Murphy was doing the same thing.

But on a serious note; some people hate their jobs and prefer to scam the system. I think automated jobs have taken over some roles aswell. What do we do with all these unemployed people? I do think people like earning their keep it’s just that here in the U.K. it actually pays better to be unemployed. I heard one lady say she’s poor because she has a job!!!

Actually, they can make far more per hour panhandling than at a $13/hr job, and it's tax free. I doubt those 87,000 new agents are going to shake down panhandlers for the taxes they owe.

MM

When ( if) we go digital, and moneyless then what?

Some of the panhandlers, with all the tax free money they have, will carry card machines...and THEN they will owe taxes. That's all there is to a cashless society. It's all about taxes, although they will spin it as being 'safe' from theft, which is a lie.

MM

read and train for something better - or be creative..sing for your supper. You can employ yourself if you put your mind to whatever you can do and find a skill to cultivate. Some people don't think they have many options but theres lots of things you can do for free. Or do volunteer work and help others.

I agree though its disheartening when there's no employment and you start to think you are useless and a burden. :-(

I think instead of complaining about the economy do something about it, even if it's just a cottage industry to begin with, and then train others. Give people hope instead of a hard time.

As for the drugs, things can get so bad that people will take drugs to get their mind of feeling useless. But it's a downward spiral from there as it literally stupifies people that they cannot function.

We don't really have them in nz, we used to have window washers though. They would stand in the middle of the intersection and as you stopped at the lights try to wash your windscreen in return for cash even if you didn't want them washed or had to go cos the lights changed.

I just thought that was a silly way to do it, when they could just maybe do it in carparks while you shopped or something. That way they wouldn't put anyone in danger and also do a better job for your whole car.

I don't mind buskers or if someone wants to sell something, like chocolate, or flowers etc. Lord knows if I was down on my luck I would do something, anything other than beg a random stranger for money. Well, except maybe prostitution.

I've been unemployed and I'm thankful I have been able to get the benefit/dole while I was job seeking. It was not much but it was enough to get by. Being poor is not fun but it is stupid to be poor and spending all your money on drugs.
A while back, the county passed an ordinance that requires "street vendors" to have a license to do this. I've heard that these licenses can be as much as $500.00.

Aside from the "flower people," all the other people asking for money in my area do appear to have some type of mental issue.

If is very seldom that I actually carry money with me. I use my ATM card for almost all transactions. What little money I do keep is in my glove compartment for me to give it to some of the people I come across asking. It's all $1 bills.

We put together what is called "care packages" that have a bottle of water, tooth brush, tooth paste, a protein snack bar, some candies and a Gospel tract. We prefer to give those out rather than money they can use to buy liquor and/or drugs. We don't have any desire to be enablers.

MM

Here's what I think about when I see all the healthy people panhandling under overpasses, on street corners, parking lot entrances, etc., all of whom are ignoring the "HIRING NOW" signs all over the place. When I took my wife to Chili's the other day, the place was mostly empty, and we had to wait for seating because they didn't have enough servers. If panhandlers put as much effort into serving customers in good restaurants, they might make as much from good tips as sitting out in the heat and cold, waiting for a public to enrich them, a public that is becoming increasingly tired of them being deadbeats not wanting to work for what they get.

Several years ago, pre-COVID, there was this old, bearded man who would ask for money at the exit from the Turnpike where I get off. It's a log red light, so I had several occasions to talk to him while waiting for the green. He was a pleasant person, and I got the impression he was younger than he looked. When COVID started, I did not see him for almost a year. After COVID, he came back, but in a wheelchair. Then, one day, I saw him riding a bicycle. That was the last time I gave him any money. He is also not there anymore.

A while back, the county passed an ordinance that requires "street vendors" to have a license to do this. I've heard that these licenses can be as much as $500.00.

Aside from the "flower people," all the other people asking for money in my area do appear to have some type of mental issue.
everyone has a mental issue. Even people who own homes have mental issues.

What are you going to do about it?

So here in the Wales this is what happens to our young people who come out of care.. ( most have mental issues and are vulnerable)

Basic income is now being giving to young people that come out of care, something like 16000 a month after tax for 2 years. Finland dumped their scheme because it didn't work and are now back to encouraging them to take up work and training.

why do governments who have seen another country fail think they can do it too ?

beyond me. but its costing us 20 million☹️

Back