Pastor Dies Attempting 40 Day Jesus Fast

I thought he went to the wilderness, not the desert. The wilderness is just a wild area and you could forage for food.
Wilderness and desert are often translated with the same Greek word (erēmos),
Maybe I should have asked, "Where would He get water in a barren wilderness?"
In any case Jesus’ fast consisted of food as water is never mentioned.

Last edited:
This is sad. It's also an example of why not understanding the Bible correctly can be very dangerous. This man attempted to fast from food and water for 40 days. Umm Jesus had water, He just ate no food. It's sad the man died though.

A Mozambican pastor has died after attempting to fast for 40 days, hoping to complete the same fast Jesus did in the Bible.

The BBC reported that Francisco Barajah, the founder of the Santa Trindade Evangelical Church, had gone 25 days without food or water at his death. As a result, he had lost so much weight he could not stand up. Relatives and members of his congregation urged him to go to the hospital, and he was later evacuated to a hospital in Beira. When he arrived, doctors deemed him in critical condition.

The post Pastor In Mozambique Dies After Trying To Complete 40-Day Fast That Jesus Was Said To Do In The Bible appeared first on Blavity.

The 39-year-old was diagnosed with acute anemia and failure of his digestive organs. Doctors tried to rehydrate him with serums, hoping it would help transition the pastor to liquid foods. But they were too late. He died Wednesday.

Barajah’s brother confirmed the pastor fasted but disagreed with the diagnosis.

“The truth is that my brother suffered from low blood pressure,” he said.

According to Insider, it’s unclear how long Barajah would have lasted without food or water. The longest time a human has gone without either is 18 days — an Australian teenager holds the world record after he was put in a holding cell and was forgotten by police in 1979.

Multiple reports of people losing their lives while attempting to emulate Christ’s 40-day fast have occurred. As the BBC noted, in 2015, a Zimbabwean man died after 30 days, and in 2006, a British coroner found a woman after 20 days of a similar fast in London.

Barajah was a valued member of his community. In addition to his work in the church, he was a French teacher in Messica, a town close to the Zimbabwe border.
It seems his desire to include abstaining from water was the real issue. Into this category, I place the individuals who engage in flagellation and those who carry a literal cross and those who walk on their feet or even their knees over broken glass.

This is sad. It's also an example of why not understanding the Bible correctly can be very dangerous. This man attempted to fast from food and water for 40 days. Umm Jesus had water, He just ate no food. It's sad the man died though.

A Mozambican pastor has died after attempting to fast for 40 days, hoping to complete the same fast Jesus did in the Bible.

The BBC reported that Francisco Barajah, the founder of the Santa Trindade Evangelical Church, had gone 25 days without food or water at his death. As a result, he had lost so much weight he could not stand up. Relatives and members of his congregation urged him to go to the hospital, and he was later evacuated to a hospital in Beira. When he arrived, doctors deemed him in critical condition.

The post Pastor In Mozambique Dies After Trying To Complete 40-Day Fast That Jesus Was Said To Do In The Bible appeared first on Blavity.

The 39-year-old was diagnosed with acute anemia and failure of his digestive organs. Doctors tried to rehydrate him with serums, hoping it would help transition the pastor to liquid foods. But they were too late. He died Wednesday.

Barajah’s brother confirmed the pastor fasted but disagreed with the diagnosis.

“The truth is that my brother suffered from low blood pressure,” he said.

According to Insider, it’s unclear how long Barajah would have lasted without food or water. The longest time a human has gone without either is 18 days — an Australian teenager holds the world record after he was put in a holding cell and was forgotten by police in 1979.

Multiple reports of people losing their lives while attempting to emulate Christ’s 40-day fast have occurred. As the BBC noted, in 2015, a Zimbabwean man died after 30 days, and in 2006, a British coroner found a woman after 20 days of a similar fast in London.

Barajah was a valued member of his community. In addition to his work in the church, he was a French teacher in Messica, a town close to the Zimbabwe border.

This seems to be an example of the usual fare of misinformation because of so strong a tendency to not read the scriptures for what they say.

Matthew 4:2 And when He had fasted forty days and forty nights, afterward He was hungry.

Fasting, especially for long periods of time, does not involve the absence of water. Jesus still drank water that could be extracted from cacti and other plants in the wilderness. It also is not said in scripture that it never rained during those days in the wilderness. Those who live in suck climates are all aware of how to get water for survival.

So, when someone does what defies even common sense and reason the Lord has given to us all, then it's purely a work of the flesh, not of God, unless the Lord has promised such a one that He would provide miraculously for them. That "pastor" was not a man of understanding from what the article portrays.

Please do not admire him, nor imitate his antic.

MM

MM

Cacti? you can drink from cacti? Jesus wasn't in the american midwest desert for goodness sakes. He was in Israel in the wilderness!
I thought you got dew in the morning and there would have been wadis (rivers) there.

Cacti are a western hemisphere plant native to Americas. They had no cacti in the Middle East in Jesus time!

Last edited:
Cacti? you can drink from cacti? Jesus wasn't in the american midwest desert for goodness sakes. He was in Israel in the wilderness!
I thought you got dew in the morning and there would have been wadis (rivers) there.

Cacti are a western hemisphere plant native to Americas. They had no cacti in the Middle East in Jesus time!
No cactii in the ME?
I found this from Israel

It's not native, its been introduced!
Also prickly pears are taking over Australia too. lol Now they can't get rid of them.
Do you have documentation of when it was introduced?
The included documentation from the link shows it going back at least to the time of Pliny. (24-79 AD)

Last edited:
Do you have documentation of when it was introduced?
The included documentation from the link shows it going back at least to the time of Pliny. (24-79 AD)
well no I am not the curator of the Israel Botanic museum. Ask them!

The link you gave plainly stated THIS - so not sure where you are getting your information from!

Prickly pears were imported into Palestine in the 18th century for use as a natural agricultural fence surrounding animal enclosures by Bedouin. No Opuntia cacti were known anywhere in the Old World until after the introduction from America.

Ok I can see the owner has taken it down, but people where tapping date palms and getting gallons of water from the trees.
you can also get water from baobab trees, though they are not native to the middle east either.

In fact any tree will have water they indicate there IS water by the plain fact they are there, though their roots may be deep. In revelation, the tree of life sits aside the river.

In the garden of Eden, the land was watered by four heads (fountains) and between the tigris and the euphrates. Just because its a wilderness, does not mean it's a barren DESERT. Wilderness is just any wild area thats not generally inhabited by humans, probably because of the wild animals roaming around. I don't know were people are getting this idea that Jesus went somewhere that had no water. Anyway, it could have rained.

?!

River, stream, wadi, spring, trees, dew, rain..plenty of places to get water in the wilderness!

Jesus was resourceful, he was even told off for picking corn on the sabbath as he was passing through a field. He was good at fishing. He multiplied someones lunch and fed 5000 people. When you fast there may be plenty of food all around you but you just choose not to eat it.

The reason Jesus went to the wilderness was not because it was barren (why do people assume this?) . It was because there were no other people there - the spirit led Him there. Then Satan could easily pick on him. It was to test him. Thankfully, He passed and told the devil where to go.

well no I am not the curator of the Israel Botanic museum. Ask them!

The link you gave plainly stated THIS - so not sure where you are getting your information from!

Prickly pears were imported into Palestine in the 18th century for use as a natural agricultural fence surrounding animal enclosures by Bedouin. No Opuntia cacti were known anywhere in the Old World until after the introduction from America.
Keep reading just past the 2nd pic
"
Derivation of the botanical name:
Opuntia, Greek name used by Pliny for a different spiny plant which grew around the town of Opus in Greece.
indica, Indian.

Cactus (Latin) cardoon (Cynara cardunculus), Greek kaktos, κάκτος; Linnaeus in 1753 applied this name generically to a genus he called Cactus, which was later reassigned as a family, Cactaceae.
compressus, comprimo, to compress, squeeze together; compressed, flattened.
vulgaris, common.
The Hebrew name: sabra, צבר, tzabar, from spoken Arabic, Sabar-صبار, which means "patience", due to a minority of consumption in irrigation.

Back