Patience when talking with my atheist parents

I wasn’t sure if this was the right part of the forum for this, so if it has to be moved elsewhere, that’s fine.

I am praying for patience when talking to my atheist parents. I have been raised in an atheistic family and came to Christ in my late 20s (am 34 now).

I eventually realized that there is little sense in talking to my parents about this because of their hostile attitude, so now, I rarely bring it up. But they do. Especially my dad. And sometimes it takes enormous patience, especially when he goes on to insult like, ”Only idiots believe in God,” and things like that.

Prayers and encouragments would be most appreciated.

I wasn’t sure if this was the right part of the forum for this, so if it has to be moved elsewhere, that’s fine.

I am praying for patience when talking to my atheist parents. I have been raised in an atheistic family and came to Christ in my late 20s (am 34 now).

I eventually realized that there is little sense in talking to my parents about this because of their hostile attitude, so now, I rarely bring it up. But they do. Especially my dad. And sometimes it takes enormous patience, especially when he goes on to insult like, ”Only idiots believe in God,” and things like that.

You might say
Yes dad you might be right but it sure makes me feel good and love you anyway.

I’m sorry that you are going through this:
It must be hard, and I will be praying for you for patience and understanding and the wisdom to know what to do.

See, it helps if you have godly friends as they can help you when in need better as they have a shared outlook.

Hopefully you have a church you are attending with a church pastor that can help.
And the people here who are qualified to help( pastors) but they seem not to have seen this thread,
Hopefully one will at least reply here soon as I am not qualified as such

praying ...

Unfortunately, Jesus said our own family members will be hostile towards us because of faith. I have that same problem. My family go to church every now and then but they are still hostile towards me and criticise my faith., even my nan does, and she is a church deacon.
We can except hatred by following the Lord, he said it himself, its one way we know that the bible is true and that Jesus existed. His words come to pass this day, just as he talked about what it would be like at the end of days, and that is true also.
Remain strong brother and pray for your family, that is what i do. The devil hates you more than the rest because you have power to encourage God to save them through your prayer and your spiritual offerings.

Thank you for all the answers.

2404 Hmm. Well, I would be lying if I said it made me feel good. I mean, I’m just as depressed as when I was an atheist.

Perhaps I’m doing something wrong. I don’t know.

Hi,

When I was very small (up until about 1st grade) my mother took me to church while my Dad stayed home.

Much later when I became serious about spiritual things and accepted Christ that I thought my Father was not a believer. He was a physicist, and developed missiles, mostly for the US Navy. I thought he was too immersed in propulsion and guidance, to spend much energy thinking about God.

But when we had a couple of talks, it became clear that he had a life changing experience in his college years but did not feel welcomed by God's people. He said they wanted him to forcefully accept faith in ways that diminished his understanding of God's creation.

Although I wouldn't call him a tower of faith, I do believe I will see him again in the kingdom.

Some of his co-workers, though we're big scoffers. But later in life several had changes of heart and became church members

The point is that each us drawn in unique ways and sometimes faith waits God's time.

My advice is to be an example of God's love. Gently let him know who you serve. You cannot force this, but you can be a positive example.

Your dad misquoted the Bible, it actually says 'only a fool says there is no God'...but in any case just ignore his mistake because my mum is the same and would say all sorts of insulting things even though she has not read ONE word of the Bible ever. I once challenged her how can she talk about things she knows nothing about, if she actually read the Bible THEN she can talk about God so that kind of made her go quiet and not dare to say insulting things (in my presence anyway). Besides, I think atheists secretly envy our faith because they don't have it, and since they don't understand it, will mock what they don't understand as a way to feel better about themselves.

It's the old 'I know better than God' arrogance of humans that is just slightly crazy.

Just keep praying for an open heart and patience, sometimes when people contemplate their mortality they might think about such things but as we know one can never force the issue.

2404 Hmm. Well, I would be lying if I said it made me feel good. I mean, I’m just as depressed as when I was an atheist.

I don't think you are doing anything wrong, I expect you are doing as much as anyone of us can do. We can do the mechanics but the Lord has to work the dynamics. Just stay with the Word for He is faithful.
The 'feeling good' isn't necessarily confined to your earthly senses, for they are not your governor, for in time they will fail but that which does not perish is where your comfort is, then come what may - all is well - now doesn't that feel good?

There can be various reasons for 'not feeling it'.

Some of the greatest believers go through periods of doubt or a feeling of dryness. This may be because the Lord is developing a deeper trust in Him. By continuing to worship and pray through these periods, we learn that our feelings are not the basis of our relationship.

Other times we have problems taking our sight away from our problems in life and focus on The Lord in spite of circumstances. This can also take perseverance to set ones sight on what the Lord would have one do rather than what one wants the Lord to do for them. If you hear references to JFK's inauguration speech, know that he took inspiration from this Christian adage.

In general, sometimes feeling good or joyful is a choice. It can be a difficult choice, particularly if you have been affected by life's challenges more than striving to build your joy by the power of the Lord.

Back