Perpetual Forgiveness

Does God need to repeatedly forgive His children? What would such a need be, seeing He knows all we desire is to please Him; and this He assures (Phl 2:13). There is allowance for babes in Christ, who may yet have a habitual sin to give up, but He eventually brings all to the same knowledge, understanding and application concerning willful sins. If one does not eventually mature enough in Christ, it manifests yet to be reborn.

The sins of Christians eventually become more in the way of impulse, like wrath, jealousy, envy, selfish- pride, etc. which are sins that are not intentional, “presumptuous” (Num 15:30) or “willingly” (Heb 10:25). These spring up out of the moment and are not planned or intended. When believers sin unwillingly they confess, i.e. admit the wrong, or the Spirit will continue to convict until you confess, because now you belong to God, and He will not let you go your own way anymore. We confess, then thank God for His continued forgiveness.

It’s not that God has to go in and out of forgiveness, but it’s a need-only-once application during the initial confession of our salvation—from there on He will always be “faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1Jn 1:9). Otherwise this would mean He has to keep repeating His cleansing from our sins, which is not necessary; same principle as being forgiven “once for all (Heb 10:10). Let’s not forget that “by one offering He hath perfected forever them that are sanctified” (Heb 10:14).

Our sanctification has to do with no longer being part of the “carnal mind,” nor part of the “flesh” (Rom 8:7, 9). God only sees the believer in Him and His Son, never again after the “old man” (flesh).

The Lord’s Prayer was to the Jew under the Law, which was forgiving to be forgiven. Now, it’s always forgive, and love as He loved, which is different from love according to how you love yourself.

We are never out of His forgiveness, any more than we are ever out of His love in Christ!

God be blessed!

When John wrote that we "cannot sin" it is in reference to desiring after sin, sinning "willfully" (Heb 10:26) or "presumptuously" (Num 15:28, 30). The sins of one reborn are never intentional. What believer would ever want to purposely offend God? The whole point is that the "old man" can no longer cause us to desire to sin (Ro 6:14; 8:9). I believe God left the old man (sin nature) in us to continue to learn from it, by exercising our faith in His forgiveness.

Please give Gill a test-read on 1Jn 3:

A child of God, born of the spirit, is always a child of God, just as we are always a child of our earthly father. Nothing can change it.

(My opinion only, long essays remind me of spin doctors, although I believe John Gill is sound.
:giggle:
Amen, "is always a child of God"; and it will show by the life of the believer (Phl 2:13). Everything God does in Christ is eternal!

Thanks for your reply and God bless!!

Taking it a step further, a father can disinherit his wayward and disobedient children and thrust them out of his home. Alternatively, they can live with him eternally in his home of many mansions. Either way, they will always be his children, but we worship a just God who will always seek after his own, and the way is always open.
True, one can be out of fellowship with God but yet still in union with Him, as God's people Israel are temporarily (believers in God but not yet in Christ - Jn 14:1). But this can't be said of Christians, because He is always "working" in them to "desire and do of His good pleasure (Phl 2:13). If one professing to be in Christ and is a "babe" (1Co 3:1), and doesn't mature from God's "work," he has still yet to be reborn.

Back