Philadelphia = Brotherly Love

The Lord will send His messengers to the churches in order to gather more “laborers” for the great harvest.

Luke 10:1-3 KJV
(1) After these things the Lord appointed other seventy also, and sent them two and two before his face into every city and place, whither he himself would come.
(2) Therefore said he unto them, The harvest truly is great, but the labourers are few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth labourers into his harvest.
(3) Go your ways: behold, I send you forth as lambs among wolves.

His messengers shall appear to be “strangers” at first....but let brotherly love continue at all times...

Hebrews 13:1-2 KJV
(1) Let brotherly love continue.
(2) Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

…for it will be in the Lord’s name that they will come in. They will be coming in His authority…with His name written upon their foreheads.

Jesus will have sent that messenger to the churches. Let he that hears say “come”…that is, receive them with brotherly love.

Revelation 22:16-17 KJV
(16) I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.
(17) And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

The church in Philadelphia (brotherly love) kept His Word and had not denied His authority (name). They kept the Word…the Saying: to have love for one another….even to the stranger that was sent to them to speak. Jesus set an “open door” before them….that is, an open mouth that spoke the Word of Truth. They did not berate what the messenger had to say….they had “little strength”. That is, they meekly listened and did not rise up in wrath and contention towards the knowledge of the Truth spoken by the open mouth. Blessed are th poor in "spirit"...that is, poor in "breath"....for they behaved meekly without harsh words.

Revelation 3:7-8 KJV
(7) And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth;
(8) I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name.

A door was opened before them….a door of utterance that spoke the mystery of Christ. They responded with brotherly love.

Colossians 4:2-8 KJV
(2) Continue in prayer, and watch in the same with thanksgiving;
(3) Withal praying also for us, that God would open unto us a door of utterance, to speak the mystery of Christ, for which I am also in bonds:
(4) That I may make it manifest, as I ought to speak.
(5) Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time.

The church in Philadelphia had “little strength”. They did not rise up and speak in the full force of wrath…for the wrath of man does not work the righteousness of God. Their speech was always with grace….seasoned with salt…that is, they were peaceful.

(6) Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

They received the messenger of the Lord. Tychicus was a beloved brother and messenger….a fellowservant in the Lord.

(7) All my state shall Tychicus declare unto you, who is a beloved brother, and a faithful minister and fellowservant in the Lord:

The messengers will come to know our estate. How will men receive what they have to say in the Lord’s name? in what condition will we show our hearts to be in?

(8) Whom I have sent unto you for the same purpose, that he might know your estate, and comfort your hearts;

He that receives them, receives Him and the One who sent Him.

Matthew 10:40-42 KJV
(40) He that receiveth you receiveth me, and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.
(41) He that receiveth a prophet in the name of a prophet shall receive a prophet's reward; and he that receiveth a righteous man in the name of a righteous man shall receive a righteous man's reward.

Will we recognize His coming? Will we give “meat” in due season to those who come in His name? Will we receive them in brotherly love that are sent by Him? Will we entertain the “strangers”?

Matthew 24:44-51 KJV
(44) Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.
(45) Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season?

Blessed is that servant who will be giving meat in due season to the strangers. For they will not be forgetful to let brotherly love continue.

(46) Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing.
(47) Verily I say unto you, That he shall make him ruler over all his goods.

But others will be forgetful…thinking that the Lord delays His coming and shall begin to beat upon those fellowservants who are sent by Him to them. They will join together with others who will behave the in the same way.

(48) But and if that evil servant shall say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming;
(49) And shall begin to smite his fellowservants, and to eat and drink with the drunken;
(50) The lord of that servant shall come in a day when he looketh not for him, and in an hour that he is not aware of,
(51) And shall cut him asunder, and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Abraham gave “meat” in due season when the 3 men… “messengers”….appeared. He entertained strangers. He let brotherly love continue.

Genesis 18:1-7 KJV
(1) And the LORD appeared unto him in the plains of Mamre: and he sat in the tent door in the heat of the day;
(2) And he lift up his eyes and looked, and, lo, three men stood by him: and when he saw them, he ran to meet them from the tent door, and bowed himself toward the ground,

Abraham invited them to stay. Let him that hears say “come”.

(3) And said, My Lord, if now I have found favour in thy sight, pass not away, I pray thee, from thy servant:
(4) Let a little water, I pray you, be fetched, and wash your feet, and rest yourselves under the tree:
(5) And I will fetch a morsel of bread, and comfort ye your hearts; after that ye shall pass on: for therefore are ye come to your servant. And they said, So do, as thou hast said.
(6) And Abraham hastened into the tent unto Sarah, and said, Make ready quickly three measures of fine meal, knead it, and make cakes upon the hearth.

Abraham was found giving meat in due season.

(7) And Abraham ran unto the herd, and fetcht a calf tender and good, and gave it unto a young man; and he hasted to dress it.

But the Pharisees did not do the works of Abraham…for they were not inviting unto Jesus. They did not entertain His words of life and spirit. Instead, they obeyed indignation and wrath….seeking to kill Him who had told them the Truth which He had heard of God. This will all be repeated again and those who will forget the past, will repeat the same mistakes of the examples that were written unto us for a warning.

John 8:38-41 KJV
(38) I speak that which I have seen with my Father: and ye do that which ye have seen with your father.
(39) They answered and said unto him, Abraham is our father. Jesus saith unto them, If ye were Abraham's children, ye would do the works of Abraham.
(40) But now ye seek to kill me, a man that hath told you the truth, which I have heard of God: this did not Abraham.
(41) Ye do the deeds of your father. Then said they to him, We be not born of fornication; we have one Father, even God.

Whosoever will receive the messengers that will come in His authority preaching Jesus in this coming time, receives Him. Will they know the time of His coming or will they think to themselves that the Lord “delays His coming”.

KJV
(40) He that receiveth you receiveth me, and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.
(41) He that receiveth a prophet in the name of a prophet shall receive a prophet's reward; and he that receiveth a righteous man in the name of a righteous man shall receive a righteous man's reward.

Whosoever shall give “drink”…a cup of cold water… unto these “little ones” as they will bethe messengers of God, shall in wise lose his reward.

(42) And whosoever shall give to drink unto one of these little ones a cup of cold water onlyin the name of a disciple, verily I say unto you, he shall in no wise lose his reward.

They will “thirst” for a welcoming reception. They will seek the son of peace when they will come preaching the Word of Truth.

KJV
(5) And into whatsoever house ye enter, first say, Peace be to this house.
(6) And if the son of peace be there, your peace shall rest upon it: if not, it shall turn to you again.

They will seek a friendly reception. Blessed are those who He will find giving “meat” in due season. Those who will give a cup of cold water so to speak to those disciples who are sent by Him shall in no wise lose their reward. These will remember to have brotherly love towards “strangers” who will come preaching the reign of God. They will recognize the authority that they will come in….the name of God.

(7) And in the same house remain, eating and drinking such things as they give: for the labourer is worthy of his hire. Go not from house to house.
(8) And into whatsoever city ye enter, and they receive you, eat such things as are set before you:
(9) And heal the sick that are therein, and say unto them, The kingdom of God is come nigh unto you.

Even though they may appear as “strangers” on the outside as the 2 disciples who did not recognize Jesus at first along the road to Emmaus, Jesus is there within them and in the words they speak. Blessed are those who the Lord will find giving “meat” in due season.

KJV
(27) And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.
(28) And they drew nigh unto the village, whither they went: and he made as though he would have gone further.
(29) But they constrained him, saying, Abide with us: for it is toward evening, and the day is far spent. And he went in to tarry with them.
(30) And it came to pass, as he sat at meat with them, he took bread, and blessed it, and brake, and gave to them.

Because they will love the brothers who will come to them, they will in no wise lose their reward.

KJV
(14) We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.

But some will not have a welcoming reception for the brothers…for they will not agree with what will be said.

(15) Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.

Instead of a cup of cold water, some will speak out with a heart full of wrath….full of sour wine. Instead of giving “meat” in due season, they will give them “gall”.

KJV
(21) They gave me also gall for my meat; and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.

As they reviled Him at the cross, some will also follow their pattern and will revile those whom He will send. They will treat His servants at they did Him. If they will despise His servants, they despise Him and His words of life and spirit.

Though His disciples will “thirst” for a friendly response, they will receive “vinegar”…sour wine….the wine of WRATH…from those who will not remember the Word of Christ to have love for one another. They will not keep His Word.

KJV
(28) After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst.

With a heart full of wrath, they will use their tongues to speak evil of “dignities”. They will put evil to His mouth in their contradiction...denying the Lord who bought them.

(29) Now there was set a vessel full of vinegar: and they filled a spunge with vinegar, and put it upon hyssop, and put it to his mouth.

After one has received the full knowledge of the Truth, there is no more sacrifice for continuous willful sins…continuous willful evil speaking in contention.

(30) When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.

They will walk after the flesh. They will despise His government over their own thoughts and ways. The kingdom…the reign…of God has come near to them and yet they will despise His dominion. They will not be afraid to speak evil of “dignities”….the brothers who will come to speak the Word of Truth to them.

KJV
(9) The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished:
(10) But chiefly them that walk after the flesh in the lust of uncleanness, and despise government. Presumptuous are they, selfwilled, they are not afraid to speak evil of dignities.

They will not entertain “strangers”….the messengers of God…but will instead rail upon them with evil accusations. They will beat upon His servants thinking that the Lord delays His coming. They will instead eat and drink with the drunken….with those who will misbehave in their pride and wrath and covetousness.

But the brothers who will be greater in power and might…the messengers of God…will not return evil for evil.

(11) Whereas angels, which are greater in power and might, bring not railing accusation against them before the Lord.
(12) But these, as natural brute beasts, made to be taken and destroyed, speak evil of the things that they understand not; and shall utterly perish in their own corruption;

The "natural brute beasts" will speak evil of the things that they understand not. Many will follow their pernicious ways as they will deny…contradict…the Lord who had bought them. They will worship the "beast"...glorifying man instead of giving God the glory and being thankful for His knowledge. They will not show love toward another as the way of Truth shall be evil spoken of by their ruinous ways.

KJV
(1) But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
(2) And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.
(3) And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.

We can not add “drunkenness to thirst” and expect to have “peace and safety.” One can not add evil speaking … being “drunk” on the wine of wrath….to those who will “thirst” for a welcome reception to the preaching of the words of life and spirit. Those who will thirst will not return evil for the evil (the vinegar…the sour wine) they will receive but will instead participate with Christ in His suffering upon the cross in the face of evil accusations.

KJV
(19) And it come to pass, when he heareth the words of this curse, that he bless himself in his heart, saying, I shall have peace, though I walk in the imagination of mine heart, to add drunkenness to thirst:
(20) The LORD will not spare him, but then the anger of the LORD and his jealousy shall smoke against that man, and all the curses that are written in this book shall lie upon him, and the LORD shall blot out his name from under heaven.

As He hears, He judges….for by our words in our response to the preaching of the Word of Truth that will heard of God shall we be justified and by our words shall we be condemned. Some will come forth and do good in their response and some will come forth to speak evil.

KJV
(35) A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.
(36) But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
(37) For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Back