Plants in your churchyard?

I am planting up the churchyard this week.

I have a list of plants I want to plant. I am putting in trees first, since nows the time to plant trees. I want us to have lots of fruit.

My list - for fruits

Olives x 3
Feijoas
Fig
Pomegranate
Citrus
Apples
Pear

For flowers and honey

Manuka
Lavender
Rosemary
Gaura
Hebes
Bottlebrush
Bird of paradise
Lily

To attract birds
Kowhai
Mountain flax

Please pray Im able to plant all these and in the right spots.
What is in your churchyard and what plants have been a blessing to your congregation?

That is a wonderful idea... and I just know you'll be sharing the photos with us later :)
As for our church, the main thing we have are several red rose bushes at the entrance. There are other old plantings of other things that are growing along the edge of the wooded area, but those just grow on their own now.

How wonderful! I had to google some of your potential plants as I didn't know what they were. How lucky you are to live in a climate that will host these beautiful trees and plants. I'll be praying for you (and all your planting)

Many blessings

It sounds amazing :D some of this plants sounds unfamiliar to me, but it makes me even more exited.

In my case, in this year my father planted some gooseberries and sweet cherries, I also bought lavender, mint, oregano and basil. Praise the Lord for all of this plants!

And of course I will pray for you & your plants.

It sounds amazing :D some of this plants sounds unfamiliar to me, but it makes me even more exited.

In my case, in this year my father planted some gooseberries and sweet cherries, I also bought lavender, mint, oregano and basil. Praise the Lord for all of this plants!

And of course I will pray for you & your plants.

Hello Evelyn, you have given me INSPIRATION lol. It's years since I've eaten gooseberries. They seem to have gone out of fashion in the UK. But when I was a kid we used to eat them all the time. I'm now trying to get my hands on some to plant in my garden. I think they'll grow really well.

Am praying for your herbs. Your house seems like a good place to go for dinner:)

Hello Evelyn, you have given me INSPIRATION lol. It's years since I've eaten gooseberries. They seem to have gone out of fashion in the UK. But when I was a kid we used to eat them all the time. I'm now trying to get my hands on some to plant in my garden. I think they'll grow really well.

Am praying for your herbs. Your house seems like a good place to go for dinner:)

Nice to read that I gave u inspiration :D
I recommended u red type, they're sweeter then white but still with this sharp, sour aftertaste (love it). And here in Poland it is also not very popular fruit, wonder why.

Thank you for praying :)
God bless.

I recommended u red type, they're sweeter then white but still with this sharp, sour aftertaste (love it). And here in Poland it is also not very popular fruit, wonder why.

God bless.

God bless.

I have request to plant a protea and a bird of pardise for flowers.

Currently am wrangling with the authorities to see if we can plant the roadside. If we plant it, we can maintain it, but its very unfair to have all these rules over what cant be planted and then be told we have to maintain it and not even be given the tools and equipment to maintain it. I dont want to be forever mowing lawns and church members dont either. But its too small to graze sheep who would gladly eat the grass for us.

The problem is its a corner site so you have two sides to maintain. Most sites you just have one road frontage.

God bless.

You are most welcome. BUT, I went to a local garden centre today in search of gooseberries. Nothing. Raspberries yes. White currants yes. Blackcurrents yes. Not a gooseberry plant anywhere. Anyhow, as I was humphing and grumbling about (because I couldn't find what I wanted), I came upon rolls of fake grass. Crazy, yes. But my little town garden is very kitch at the moment. I have 2 large plastic flamingos in the flower bed, so the fake grass was perfect. It looks fabulous. Now I have a mini fake lawn and am getting ready to throw a party. And all because I went in search of gooseberries.

So thank YOU.

PS I am still on the gooseberry quest.

Many blessings and laughs

Annie x

Basically the rules seem to be, we cant plant anything that grows over 30cm.

Have you considered fake grass - see above! Only kidding. It seems ridiculous to me that such rules exist. But seriously, what about a camomile lawn? It has white and yellow flowers and really doesn't require the maintenance that a regular lawn does. And it smells fabulous.

Many blessings

Annie x

Have you considered fake grass - see above! Only kidding. It seems ridiculous to me that such rules exist. But seriously, what about a camomile lawn? It has white and yellow flowers and really doesn't require the maintenance that a regular lawn does. And it smells fabulous.

Many blessings

Annie x
Ive got one at home, a small chamomile lawn one but this roadside is quite a large area.
Am going to concentrate on what I can do for now. Am hoping to find a compost bin for our church.

Will be praying for you and your roadside area. I wanted immediate effect in one of my flower beds, and planted lobelia and geraniums. I don't know if this would work in your part of the world, but, snails and slugs hate geraniums, which is excellent, and lobelia come in many colours and give a pretty much instant hit of colour and prettiness to a low area. Again, low maintenance, but they only last for the summer. But thinking about it, you're on the opposite side of the world to me, so i'm thinking this might me your coolest time? Anyhow, please let me know what plan you come up with, I'd be really interested to hear.

PS I had a BBQ in my garden yesterday, and it became quite frenzied, as I was concerned that any flying sparks of charcoal etc would land on my super-fake plastic lawn. Much to everyone else's amusement. This is clearly a major down-side to fake grass:D

PPS How big is the area? You could just box in a small area for compost, using old wood or bricks. Or literally just make a pile of compost round the back somewhere. After all, it's only rotten vegetation.

Many blessings and prayers

Annie xxx

I contacted the authorities and they said groundcover flowers are ok.

I have not seen peanut grass here....it reminds me of red clover (but yellow). Clover is quite good cos you dont really need to mow it.

What gets planted on roadsides here, apart from grass, tend to be...

Carex
Agapanthus
Coprosma
The odd tough shrub like Nandina, breath of heaven, hebe

Am thinking of ideas for groundcover flowers, and they must be perennials -

gazanias
Osteospermum daisy
Spanish shawl
Thyme

Its heading into winter now, so I was thinking to get trees and shrubs in if we are to have any. Thanks for prayers! Need some inspiration,last sunday I was at a different church for a baptism. I looked around for flowers but there were none, and they had a raised garden bed, but it just had lawn in it. So disappointing!

The odd tough shrub like Nandina, breath of heaven, hebe

Be careful of nandina.... research it. It can quickly/easily become invasive, and the experts say that birds will eat the berries, even though they are toxic.
There are some on our property, & I would love to be rid of them. They get quite large and spread out.
I'm hoping to plant some camellias.... they bloom pretty, are evergreen, low/no maintenance, and if you want tea, just go out and pick some leaves..lol

What is your hardiness zone/low temps?

We have camellias already on the church property. They are one plant that does well in my zone. However it does have one problem of petal blight and only a tough variety called setsugekka is immune to it.

Our zone equates to zone 9.

Hmm didnt know that about nandinas, although there are different kinds, the one that usually is planted here is a small one called 'firepower' and it gets bright red leaves in winter, so it looks kind of like moses 'burning bush'.

Back