Please don't judge me by the clothes I wear

Please don't judge me by the clothes I wear.

We live just 10 minutes by car from where our business premises were situated before we closed 23 years ago, yet were' still recognized and fairly well known to this day.

Whenever I'm out and about, inevitably with my wife, I like to wear clean smart casual comfortable clothes for my own, and only for my own personal benefit, well, perhaps for my wife's benefit also. I discovered dressing in this manner gives me a boost while making me feel better about myself and brightens up my mind.... it genuinely does.

We don't know how this came about, however, any ex-client spotting us will invariably stop us for a chat, which is extremely kind. Now, we find the following extraordinary, humorous even, their initial reaction and words are inevitably the same, they'll look me up and down with an incredulous look while declaring "I\we, heard you were very ill". Somehow, obviously, they've gained knowledge of my health issues. I never quiz them, never replying with words similar to "how on earth did you know about that" or words of that nature, so we're still unaware how they discovered this to be the case.
I do know why that's their first reaction. They have visions of all elderly (we don't feel elderly. btw) folk with health issues, walking around with despondency oozing from their demeanor.
Some elderly folk will obviously have far more serious health problems than mine which they find incredibly hard to cope with, so we must never (my wife and I) scorn or looked down upon. I've simply or should I say, spectacularly been blessed to eventually have the frame of mind God has afforded. I'm very very humbled by that and always respect those who are not as fortunate as me. (there but for the Grace of God......)

I've to rely on a walking stick whenever I'm out walking. I use the ordinary common or garden stick with a curved handle, however, one day I spotted a rather nice quality black walking stick with comfortable chrome handle for sale......I bought it. Using it is not borne out of pride, it simply makes me feel so much better within myself, more relaxed, and doesn't have the effect of continually making me feel like an old fogey as the old wooden walking stick could do at times. As with many many many folks my age, we simply do not feel our age, if it did, it would surely alter the course of the mind

Now, this is important to me, I refuse to walk around bearing drooped shoulders, woe is me look about me. Doing so would make me feel like my dear departed parents who yearned sympathy for everything they did in life.
Looking for sympathy is a trait I just cannot get my head around. In fact, my parents would portray themselves as much older than they actually were. I'm aware that in post-war years, 50-60 year-olds would have been considered old, but my father claimed, and I quote "both your mother and I are on our way out" when they both were in their mid 40's
They're both gone now, and though I was scared stiff of my father, (as was my elder brother, that's another story to tell) I'm not attempting to trash or disrespect his or my mother's memory.

I'm unsure who will understand, "I dress for my own benefit and nobody else"..... I actually genuinely do mean it)

To get to my actual point. Whenever an ex-client recognize me or us, they will point at me, look me up and down inspecting me, and with an astonished look on their face declare, "I heard you were very ill".
It's rather funny really, they're judging me simply by the clothes I wear and that is so extraordinary. So I always respond by saying to them "it takes a lot of hard work to look like this. :)

"Please don't judge me by the clothes I wear".

It's a lesson to learn and is similar to "You can't judge a book by its cover".
(I have to keep that in mind also)

So please, don't judge anyone by the clothes they wear.
You may just be waaaay off target.

Regards,
weewillie.

Hmm I worked in a library and we would judge books by opening them and seeing if any pages fell out. Or if they smelled funny, or were damp and growing mould. You can always give an old looking book a new cover but if the contents inside are unreadable it cant really be salvaged. But you can find replacement copies. Some older books are kept in remarkably good condition, but you can always tell which books are well loved as opposed to those that just sat on the shelf and were never read.

Please don't judge me by the clothes I wear.

We live just 10 minutes by car from where our business premises were situated before we closed 23 years ago, yet were' still recognized and fairly well known to this day.

Whenever I'm out and about, inevitably with my wife, I like to wear clean smart casual comfortable clothes for my own, and only for my own personal benefit, well, perhaps for my wife's benefit also. I discovered dressing in this manner gives me a boost while making me feel better about myself and brightens up my mind.... it genuinely does.

We don't know how this came about, however, any ex-client spotting us will invariably stop us for a chat, which is extremely kind. Now, we find the following extraordinary, humorous even, their initial reaction and words are inevitably the same, they'll look me up and down with an incredulous look while declaring "I\we, heard you were very ill". Somehow, obviously, they've gained knowledge of my health issues. I never quiz them, never replying with words similar to "how on earth did you know about that" or words of that nature, so we're still unaware how they discovered this to be the case.
I do know why that's their first reaction. They have visions of all elderly (we don't feel elderly. btw) folk with health issues, walking around with despondency oozing from their demeanor.
Some elderly folk will obviously have far more serious health problems than mine which they find incredibly hard to cope with, so we must never (my wife and I) scorn or looked down upon. I've simply or should I say, spectacularly been blessed to eventually have the frame of mind God has afforded. I'm very very humbled by that and always respect those who are not as fortunate as me. (there but for the Grace of God......)

I've to rely on a walking stick whenever I'm out walking. I use the ordinary common or garden stick with a curved handle, however, one day I spotted a rather nice quality black walking stick with comfortable chrome handle for sale......I bought it. Using it is not borne out of pride, it simply makes me feel so much better within myself, more relaxed, and doesn't have the effect of continually making me feel like an old fogey as the old wooden walking stick could do at times. As with many many many folks my age, we simply do not feel our age, if it did, it would surely alter the course of the mind

Now, this is important to me, I refuse to walk around bearing drooped shoulders, woe is me look about me. Doing so would make me feel like my dear departed parents who yearned sympathy for everything they did in life.
Looking for sympathy is a trait I just cannot get my head around. In fact, my parents would portray themselves as much older than they actually were. I'm aware that in post-war years, 50-60 year-olds would have been considered old, but my father claimed, and I quote "both your mother and I are on our way out" when they both were in their mid 40's
They're both gone now, and though I was scared stiff of my father, (as was my elder brother, that's another story to tell) I'm not attempting to trash or disrespect his or my mother's memory.

I'm unsure who will understand, "I dress for my own benefit and nobody else"..... I actually genuinely do mean it)

To get to my actual point. Whenever an ex-client recognize me or us, they will point at me, look me up and down inspecting me, and with an astonished look on their face declare, "I heard you were very ill".
It's rather funny really, they're judging me simply by the clothes I wear and that is so extraordinary. So I always respond by saying to them "it takes a lot of hard work to look like this. :)

"Please don't judge me by the clothes I wear".

It's a lesson to learn and is similar to "You can't judge a book by its cover".
(I have to keep that in mind also)

So please, don't judge anyone by the clothes they wear.
You may just be waaaay off target.

Regards,
weewillie.
My mother in-law, who is Spanish, went through their civil war, and after, it was really tough. However, her mother made sure the kids were clean and properly dressed. The government didn't see them suffering so they didn't get the welfare they needed. People do judge, all day, all the time. To overcome that is to have a right mind, correct thinking, about who we are in Christ and what He's done for us. The "dress for success" isn't just for jobs, but for that right thinking. Just as Jesus said,

Matthew 6:17-18 (KJV)
But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face; That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly.

Such a hard experience to endure, Abdicate. It's so amazing how many mothers going through harsh conditions are determined to ensure the children are kept clean and tidy. Those mothers are due great respect. It's just a pity the government inspectors caused more hardship by their judgment of adopting a negative manner. For me, it's a great experience which I take as a huge compliment. I never expected such reactions, never thought about it, but it continues to be a great pick-me-up. If my intention was\is for vanity....... I'd fall flat on my face.

Thank you for taking time out to reply.

Regards weewillie.

Hmm I worked in a library and we would judge books by opening them and seeing if any pages fell out. Or if they smelled funny, or were damp and growing mould. You can always give an old looking book a new cover but if the contents inside are unreadable it cant really be salvaged. But you can find replacement copies. Some older books are kept in remarkably good condition, but you can always tell which books are well loved as opposed to those that just sat on the shelf and were never read.

Hi, Lanolin. your name rings a bell, but I can't think why yet. lol.

:) I do understand your comments, however, I'm trying to decide whether your reply, in my case, is positive or negative. I'll take it as a positive, and if I'm wrong I'll take it full on the chin while trying to benefit from it.

You post in some excellent words of wisdom which I, and many others members are sure to benefit. So, lots of power to your elbow (wonder where that phrase originated, must look it up some time)

Many regards, and thank you also for taking time out to reply to me.

weewillie.

Just want to encourage you, not discourage you. I hope that comes across in all my posts to fellow saints.

God wants to give you a garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness.(see Isaiah 61)

People would think Im strange for choosing not to wear black all the time like seems to be the fashion these days. I chucked out about 4 bags of black clothes when I became a christian. I think this riled a few people and they were judging me simply cos I said I did this. i did not get why they got so aggro about this action. I wasnt saying God wants everyone to dress in colours, or that wearing black was bad..?!
But Im like no God wants me to wear colours as I'm not a widow. Beside I have black hair already lol. I cant really change my hair colour unless I dye it, but it will just grow back black. Doesn't mean I have to wear black clothes too. I think clothing manufacuters and designers made lots of clothes in black because many just have no imagination, or it doesnt show the dirt. You would go into a shop and its like it can be any colour as long as its black.

Besides am much happier wearing colour, so why should I be a sad sack looking like I just left a funeral when nobody has died?

Just want to encourage you, not discourage you. I hope that comes across in all my posts to fellow saints.

God wants to give you a garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness.(see Isaiah 61)

People would think I'm strange for choosing not to wear black all the time like seems to be the fashion these days. I chucked out about 4 bags of black clothes when I became a christian. I think this riled a few people and they were judging me simply cos I said I did this. i did not get why they got so aggro about this action. I wasn't saying God wants everyone to dress in colours, or that wearing black was bad..?!
But Im like no God wants me to wear colours as I'm not a widow. Beside I have black hair already lol. I cant really change my hair colour unless I dye it, but it will just grow back black. Doesn't mean I have to wear black clothes too. I think clothing manufacuters and designers made lots of clothes in black because many just have no imagination, or it doesnt show the dirt. You would go into a shop and its like it can be any colour as long as its black.

Besides am much happier wearing colour so why should I be a sad sack looking like I just left a funeral when nobody has died?

Ohh, no, no, no. Lanolin, discouragement never even pricked my thoughts, all your replies I've read are positive >>> par excellence.

My thoughts were, "Well now, weewillie....Here's a wee bit of correction for you. However, I did say, "I'll choose positive"(y)

So, 10+10 4 U, for all your posts I've read. :)

And yes, I fully understand and go along with your principle regarding the clothes we wear, absolutely.
There is no reason why we should not wear coloured clothes if and when we so wish, even in winter. I mean, why should seasons dictate the colour of the clothes we wear.
I don't go overboard with a desire of standing out like a circus clown in his colourful dress code. (I'd look like a silly wee clown if I did)
If I went around feeling vain and\or puffed up with pride due to the clothes I wear, my demeanour would be detected immediately, and I really would look like a clown.

If I dress with the correct intention, so be it.

My dear wife also adopted the same policy, she feels the benefit of not dressing in dull\drab looking clothes also. There's a few of us out there of the same mind, their mannerism exudes cheerfulness.

Best wishes.

Shalom.
weewillie.

Last edited:
Back