Pontius Pilate Inscription

The Pilate Inscription was discovered in 1961 at the city of Caesarea. The inscription is written in Latin. The first part of the name (i.e. Pontius) is damage, but the second half is very clear. I have provided blue arrows so that you can see each letter.
Screen Shot 2024-06-11 at 10.48.11 AM.png
The letters are P I L A T V S. The letters VS are a case ending. The letter V is equivalent to our letter "u."

Screen Shot 2024-06-11 at 11.15.31 AM.png
The letters Y and Z came into Classical Latin by way of the Greek alphabet. The Old Latin alphabet had neither letter.

Just for comparison both the Greek and the Latin are provided.
ΠΙΛΑΤΥΣ (Greek)
PILATVS (Latin)

Pontius_Pilate_Inscription.JPG

Hello Origen;

I appreciate your in depth interest in these findings. They are very interesting and I do have a question.

Why do we give so much credibility to the person who discovered the Pilate Inscription? What facts did he bring to prove Pilate's name and what purpose would it be displayed (in a cave?)

Yesterday on the History Channel they did a documentary of a cartographer named Ilhan Durupinar who discovered part of Noah's Ark near Mount Ararat in Turkey.

It is believable, this finding, but for the most part it seems we give much credit to theories instead of actual facts and findings.

What's your thought on this?

Why do we give so much credibility to the person who discovered the Pilate Inscription?
This find was made by bona fide archaeologists with verifiable credentials (i.e. Italian archaeologist Maria Teresa Fortuna Canivet during a campaign led by Dr. Antonio Frova).

With the study of archaeology provenance (i.e. the place of origin and earliest known history of something) and peer review is crucial. And we have all this for the Pilate Inscription. I know of no scholar who rejects this find.

What facts did he bring to prove Pilate's name and what purpose would it be displayed (in a cave?)
It was not found int a cave. It was part of fragment of a dedicatory inscription most likely to a temple or shrine. It was found in the third year of a dig.

There is more writing on the stone. This is from the Israel Museum.

... building in honor of] Tiberius
... Pon]tius Pilate
... Praef]ect of Judea

Yesterday on the History Channel they did a documentary of a cartographer named Ilhan Durupinar who discovered part of Noah's Ark near Mount Ararat in Turkey.
I believe nothing that come off of the Fantasy Channel. They are not interested in sound scholarship only sensationalism and ratings.

It is believable, this finding, but for the most part it seems we give much credit to theories instead of actual facts and findings.
I read about this site years ago. All they have to do to establish the authenticity of their work is to provide the evidence and methodology for peer review to scholars, archaeologist and geologist etc.

What's your thought on this?
I doubt they will ever summit their work for peer review. I see no good reason to believe what they claim.

You might check out with article from way back in 1992 by Andrew A. Snelling a geologist.

Last edited:
Back