Problems with Electronic Communication

bobinfaith

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Hello brothers and sisters;

I have a confession.

One of my biggest pet peeves has been bothering me for decades. Back in 1988 when I first learned and used email, or (public mail) at work using the old Mac SE it was supposed to help with communication between inter-office departments. I supported the communication theory with my first cell phone (1992 Motorola flip phone) and later witnessed cell phone texting in another country.

As cell phones and electronic pads advanced, most email became
slow mail and the lesser method for communication. Unfortunately, advanced electronics waned in timely communication as well.

So, when I send an email, cell or iPad text it's not a surprise that I won't get a reply in reasonable time. Others will simply not read their incoming until days later.
But those times when I'm productively communicating and need to meet a time schedule leaves me wondering;

It's ironic that these same folks are constantly side by side with their device as if it replaced human beings. Wasn't the whole point of email and texting invented to increase communication? Why for some people it seems to be a bother? One panel on a TV show insisted on being texted first and asking permission before calling! YIKES!

I've heard the same ol' excuses, I've been busy, I forgot to check my messages, or my electronic was charging. I could understand if someone only had a landline with a rotary dial and had to wait til they got home. lol!

For years I've exercised patience with this issue of mine. It's not personal and most of the time I'll just move on with other cares, or perhaps it is personal, thus my long time pet peeve.

I noticed this especially amongst young adults (40 years and younger,) and it's about the same with middle aged and it's not that much different with ministry, especially most Pastors.

Any thoughts,
brothers and sisters? I'd like to get your perspective on electronic communication in these times.

God bless
you all.

I have found that placing a VOICE call, rather than texting or email, gets results mush faster than email or texting in most cases. The problem is that some persons, growing up in the smart phone era, have no idea how to talk with someone on a phone.

`

So, when I send an email, cell or iPad text it's not a surprise that I won't get a reply in reasonable time. Others will simply not read their incoming until days later.
Many email inboxes are overwhelmed with spam or other bulk solicitations. As such it's not uncommon for people to have literally thousands of unread emails. Outside of a professional setting, unless someone is actively expecting your email, don't assume they will read it. Case in point: I sent my mom an electronic gift card and she never saw it. That's money wasted right there.
It's ironic that these same folks are constantly side by side with their device as if it replaced human beings. Wasn't the whole point of email and texting invented to increase communication?
Email is fairly old fashioned at this point. Most email is corporate in nature. For personal communication between individuals, text messaging via phone or apps is much more common
Why for some people it seems to be a bother? One panel on a TV show insisted on being texted first and asking permission before calling! YIKES!
I agree with this. I much prefer to receive a text message asking to speak before receiving a call.

age of electronics has its pros and cons . but in the long run it will be the down fall
Many email inboxes are overwhelmed with spam or other bulk solicitations. As such it's not uncommon for people to have literally thousands of unread emails. Outside of a professional setting, unless someone is actively expecting your email, don't assume they will read it. Case in point: I sent my mom an electronic gift card and she never saw it. That's money wasted right there. Email is fairly old fashioned at this point. Most email is corporate in nature. For personal communication between individuals, text messaging via phone or apps is much more common I agree with this. I much prefer to receive a text message asking to speak before receiving a call.

Good morning, forgiven and LearningToLetGo;

These are my thoughts of experience and not a professional expertise.

To respond to forgiven's post the downfall has long existed. America has always led the world in releasing new gadgets imperfected in the buying market, causing customers to spend time seeking customer or tech support. With today's "upgraded and advanced" releases, customer and tech support continues to increase.

By the time the product is improved another version comes out,
imperfected, and the cycle starts all over again.
I still remember the days of horrendous cell phone drops and slow internet or wifi that froze.

The provider still gets their money. Sigh, it's been a way of life.

I agree with
LearningToLetGo that our email inboxes get overwhelmed with garbage. I manage each morning to go through and delete what I don't want and keep less than 10 in my inbox. A discipline I learned from my accounting days.

Of course text messaging is faster but I only use that for quick messages. I minimize using emojis and would rather value the time by texting a complete sentence. I experienced that most recipients appreciate that. I also can't text a long correspondence with anyone and this is where email has it's use for me since it's better than mailing a letter.

I feel America's culture now includes
people's space. It's the nature of our times. I understand people value their privacy so if someone wants to be texted first asking to call then that's what I'll do. For me, I've always looked at my cell like my front door. It's always open if someone wants to call me.

I have found that placing a VOICE call, rather than texting or email, gets results mush faster than email or texting in most cases. The problem is that some persons, growing up in the smart phone era, have no idea how to talk with someone on a phone.
`

Hello Pastor Gary;

lol!
When I speak with my 20 year old nephew who is a great nephew, he keeps his conversation to 3 or 4 words in a sentence. But when we're driving to Church, for example, it is a 35 minute drive and he will open up more in a conversation with me or his Aunt (my wife) and this has encouraged him to strike a topic and discuss.

Between many younger adults and the internet, it has developed more alone time for researching and reading on our own instead of co production and open dialogue.

Back