Quaker-type meetings

Where is the brotherly edification in this style?
Respectfully, wouldn't it be comparable to us sitting in
front of our computers and not typing a word or posting at
all? What Scripture reinforces this method of gathering?
No, it would be more like coming into the presence of a great and powerful Person and, instead of constant chattering, asking for favors and expressing our own opinions, giving that Person the chance to speak and guide. I am not saying that we should not pray to God, only that we should spend at least as much time listening to Him and being guided and taught by His Spirit within. This teaching and guidance may come from illumination on specific Biblical verses, inner conviction (which may or may not be an inner voice) or through a word given through another member of the meeting. For Scriptural justification for this method, 1Cor. 14:26-33 seems to imply something like this.

Nazarene Servant

Account Closed
No, it would be more like coming into the presence of a great and powerful Person and, instead of constant chattering, asking for favors and expressing our own opinions, giving that Person the chance to speak and guide. I am not saying that we should not pray to God, only that we should spend at least as much time listening to Him and being guided and taught by His Spirit within. This teaching and guidance may come from illumination on specific Biblical verses, inner conviction (which may or may not be an inner voice) or through a word given through another member of the meeting. For Scriptural justification for this method, 1Cor. 14:26-33 seems to imply something like this.
Intriguing. We each have our method of worshipping Jesus
and I do not perceive that my way is any better than yours.
Thank you for the response and perhaps I will have an
opportunity to fellowship with some Quaker believers one
day.

The he tells me that they believe in the religious belief that truth is continuously revealed to individuals directly from God. He says that Quakers are taught that Christ comes to teach the people himself. Friends often focus on trying to hear God. Because of this, Quakers reject the idea of priests, believing in the priesthood of all believers.
I think the Reformers called them Swarmers. Today...Christian mystics. No thanks, God's Word (Scriptures) and His Spirit is a wholesome twosome and should not be separated in their working.

Quakers do keep the Bible at their meetings. Anybody can refer to the scriptures, it's on the table.
The thing is to shut up for a while and let Him speak and minister to us instead of parroting Him.

If you can't do that for at least a minute or two I am wondering how anyone can get actually get a word in in normal conversation with you. We all know the person who presumes to speak for everyone when they don't, or is always the first to speak but doesn't listen to anyone else. I think it's beyond rude to not have a little silence before speaking.

The other thing is women are actually used to not speaking in church so it's no big deal, but I suppose it's the men who always want to say something....?!

Quakers do keep the Bible at their meetings. Anybody can refer to the scriptures, it's on the table.
The thing is to shut up for a while and let Him speak and minister to us instead of parroting Him.

If you can't do that for at least a minute or two I am wondering how anyone can get actually get a word in in normal conversation with you. We all know the person who presumes to speak for everyone when they don't, or is always the first to speak but doesn't listen to anyone else. I think it's beyond rude to not have a little silence before speaking.
Hmm, i guess Jesus and the Apostles were not Quakers, where often they were 'parroting' (as you say) the Prophets saying "It is written'; besides Jesus has placed teachers amongst the members of the Church...

1 Corinthians 12:28 CSB
[28] And God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, next miracles, then gifts of healing, helping, leading, various kinds of tongues.

Ephesians 4:11 CSB
[11] And he himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and teachers,

Last edited:
The other thing is women are actually used to not speaking in church so it's no big deal, but I suppose it's the men who always want to say something....?!
Not really. Jesus picked the Apostles...all men, they did not choose the position.

John 15:16 CSB
[16] You did not choose me, but I chose you. I appointed you to go and produce fruit and that your fruit should remain, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he will give you.

But you are not an apostle....(apostles were only those 12 that Jesus appointed)

And also, the Bible is scripture, meaning it's written down in WRITING for people to read, it's not like God recorded it on a spoken word album back in the day.

Do you fail to understand? When people do not read for themselves, they remain in ignorance.

You can hear stuff, but often it's in one ear and out the other. If you fail to write things down, it gets lost.

The other thing was, the prophets were always somewhere QUIET where they could hear God. It might have been in the middle of the night, when people were sleeping, or out in the desert where nobody else was around. Was God speaking to the prophets as they were out in the market place yabbering away, or playing music, or eating meals?

Nope. Then what did the prophets do. They wrote down the words of God. Otherwise, how would anybody know that God had spoken to them.
Jesus read the Bible, he quoted tonnes of scripture from Deuteronomy. He knew it front and back. When did he learn this? By reading. Because he could say 'it is written' rather than 'it is remembered' or 'just cos I say so'.

Quaker method is to have silence to hear from God first. It's really NO BIG DEAL. Quakers don't take vows of silence and never speak. They just don't interrupt God and actually make time to hear from Him. Also there are Quakers who are teachers and pastors, so, don't know where you are getting your misinformation from.

But you are not an apostle....(apostles were only those 12 that Jesus appointed)
First of all, it helps to quote the person you are addressing...and no, I am in no way an apostle. Did I ever say or intimate I was one? I only pointed out the fact that Jesus picked 12 men as Apostles.
And also, the Bible is scripture, meaning it's written down in WRITING for people to read, it's not like God recorded it on a spoken word album back in the day.
Yes, it is Scripture (God's inerrant Word) as in "It is written".
Do you fail to understand? When people do not read for themselves, they remain in ignorance.
Or when teachers fail to teach, rather than sit in silence.
You can hear stuff, but often it's in one ear and out the other. If you fail to write things down, it gets lost.
Much of the early Church were illiterate. They could not read or write. They relied on oral reading and teaching of God's Word.
The other thing was, the prophets were always somewhere QUIET where they could hear God. It might have been in the middle of the night, when people were sleeping, or out in the desert where nobody else was around. Was God speaking to the prophets as they were out in the market place yabbering away, or playing music, or eating meals?
God's Word came to the Prophets under many circumstances and situations. (both peaceful and harrowing times). They were not Desert Fathers.
Nope. Then what did the prophets do. They wrote down the words of God. Otherwise, how would anybody know that God had spoken to them.
Jesus read the Bible, he quoted tonnes of scripture from Deuteronomy. He knew it front and back. When did he learn this? By reading. Because he could say 'it is written' rather than 'it is remembered' or 'just cos I say so'.
Yes, and actually, when Jesus spoke it was as good as Scripture. (being God incarnate).
Quaker method is to have silence to hear from God first. It's really NO BIG DEAL. Quakers don't take vows of silence and never speak. They just don't interrupt God and actually make time to hear from Him. Also there are Quakers who are teachers and pastors, so, don't know where you are getting your misinformation from
God has already spoken. We have it in our Bibles. We are to teach and proclaim God's Word, not sit and wait 'until the spirit' speaks. (I deliberately did not capitalize 'spirit'). Nowhere in Scripture do I see we are to wait on God's Spirit to bring a word to the congregation. Rather...

1 Corinthians 14:26 (NASB) What is the outcome then, brethren? When you assemble, each one has a psalm, has a teaching, has a revelation, has a tongue, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification.

Matthew 28:19-20 (KJV) Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Acts 20:27 (KJV) For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God.

2 Timothy 2:2 (KJV) And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.

At the bottom of the page, this site is mentioned...daffydd.simplesite.com... is that you? If so, a shameless plug, lol.
Yes, that is my site, but it is not a "shameless plug" as I gain nothing from the sire being read. Many articles in academic journals (for instance) have references, by the author, to earlier works of the same author. These provide earlier information (rather than repeating it in the present article) and may also show the development of the author's position. I refer back to my earlier article for this purpose. In that article, I arrived at a very similar position to that of Fox (regarding "Quaker-style" meetings) but independent of Fox's writings. In the earlier article, I followed the teaching of Norman Grubb and arrived at this position. Grubb, however, did not go in this direction and it was only later that I discovered that Fox had. Both Fox and Grubb were on the same page with respect to the experience of union with Christ but they went in different directions as to how this is to be worked out in the wider environment. Grubb thought that Christians should concentrate on "spiritual" matters only (although in a late writing he did concede that God sometimes calls Christians to social or political ministries, although he makes it clear that he believes this to be the exception and not the rule) while Fox saw a wider role. This seems to have been determined by their differing eschatologies; rather ironic as neither said much specifically about this subject. But from what they did say, it is clear that Grubb was a futurist and believed that the Kingdom would not be manifest until Christ returned at some future time. Fox, by contrast, seems to have held a position not unlike that of John Noe and the Prophecy Reformation Institute - a form of semi-idealist Preterism. He believed that (in some sense) Christ returned in the First Century and is now present, knocking at the door of our spirits. Those who by God's grace hear his voice and open to him will experience spiritual re-birth and have Christ unite with their spirit. It is through these born-again and open people - Christ's corporate Body on earth - that he increasingly brings in the Kingdom.
I hope that both my articles makes this clear and it is for this reason that I also present my earlier article for prayer and meditation. If that is a "shameless plug", then I am guilty!
Blessings

First of all, it helps to quote the person you are addressing...and no, I am in no way an apostle. Did I ever say or intimate I was one? I only pointed out the fact that Jesus picked 12 men as Apostles.

Much of the early Church were illiterate. They could not read or write. They relied on oral reading and teaching of God's Word.

God's Word came to the Prophets under many circumstances and situations. (both peaceful and harrowing times). They were not Desert Fathers.

Yes, and actually, when Jesus spoke it was as good as Scripture. (being God incarnate).

God has already spoken. We have it in our Bibles. We are to teach and proclaim God's Word, not sit and wait 'until the spirit' speaks. (I deliberately did not capitalize 'spirit'). Nowhere in Scripture do I see we are to wait on God's Spirit to bring a word to the congregation. Rather...

1 Corinthians 14:26 (NASB) What is the outcome then, brethren? When you assemble, each one has a psalm, has a teaching, has a revelation, has a tongue, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification.

Matthew 28:19-20 (KJV) Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Acts 20:27 (KJV) For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God.

2 Timothy 2:2 (KJV) And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.
You are kidding me! Maybe because you fail to read what is written!

Most of the early church were not illiterate! They were jewish, they read the Torah every single day! They had it all their lives.
Yes apostles were men, but YOU are not one. Doesn't mean women weren't part of the church as well and were also disciples.

Teachers do teach but the meeting is for WORSHIP not teaching.

You don't seem to understand the difference between Worship and teaching. Sorry. Quakers have a meeting for WORSHIP that is what it is called.

Teaching is for other times.

You are kidding me! Maybe because you fail to read what is written!

Most of the early church were not illiterate! They were jewish, they read the Torah every single day! They had it all their lives.
Yes apostles were men, but YOU are not one. Doesn't mean women weren't part of the church as well and were also disciples.

Teachers do teach but the meeting is for WORSHIP not teaching.

You don't seem to understand the difference between Worship and teaching. Sorry. Quakers have a meeting for WORSHIP that is what it is called.

Teaching is for other times.
Meeting for worship means to worship God.

Not worship the teacher lol. Some people just have nooo idea! SMH.
Where did I say the early Church was illiterate? -Red Herring.
Where did I say I was an Apostle?

Is the Meeting ONLY for worship?
Do they have any meetings for teaching?
Where did I say anything about 'worshipping the teacher'? Hold them in respect? Yes! Worship them? No!

Colossians 1:28 (KJV) Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:

Colossians 3:16 (KJV) Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. (Sounds like both should be done)

Timothy and Titus were tapped by Paul to Pastor some troubled Churches and were given instructions...

1 Timothy 1:3 (KJV) As I besought thee to abide still at Ephesus, when I went into Macedonia, that thou mightest charge some that they teach no other doctrine, (I assume in Church)

1 Timothy 3:2 (KJV) A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach; (where would he teach?)

2 Timothy 2:2 (KJV) And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also. (again, where?)

2 Timothy 2:24 (KJV) And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,

Titus 1:9 (KJV) Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.

I would like to share with you something that happened to me many years ago during a silent meeting. With a small group, we sat in silent waiting on God for about 30 minutes. At that time, I was somewhat concerned about an international crisis. Although I cannot recall whether I specifically brought this before God during the meeting, it was still on my mind. Suddenly, in the silence, I heard the Lord speak to me "Don't worry, I have overcome the world". Of course, I already knew this as similar words are recorded in the Bible and I believe what the Bible says. However, the words recorded were spoken by Jesus to people who lived 2,000 years ago (although, of course, also to us in a secondary sense). But what I heard was spoken specifically to ME! The words were very personal. The difference is a little like the President telling the people in a televised national speech that he will look after them as against him telling you this face to face in a one-to-one meeting.
The international crisis was solved a day or two later but the precious words remain with me.

I would like to share with you something that happened to me many years ago during a silent meeting. With a small group, we sat in silent waiting on God for about 30 minutes. At that time, I was somewhat concerned about an international crisis. Although I cannot recall whether I specifically brought this before God during the meeting, it was still on my mind. Suddenly, in the silence, I heard the Lord speak to me "Don't worry, I have overcome the world". Of course, I already knew this as similar words are recorded in the Bible and I believe what the Bible says. However, the words recorded were spoken by Jesus to people who lived 2,000 years ago (although, of course, also to us in a secondary sense). But what I heard was spoken specifically to ME! The words were very personal. The difference is a little like the President telling the people in a televised national speech that he will look after them as against him telling you this face to face in a one-to-one meeting.
The international crisis was solved a day or two later but the precious words remain with me.
I'm not sure of your point or what you are hinting at ❓ ❓ ❓

bobinfaith

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
To date, the San Francisco Friends Meeting is still not open, despite the Red Code that allows open sanctuary worship.

Here is a small bit of information about SFFMQ whose membership is 140;

Our meeting for worship, which is at the core of Quaker practice, is focused on the response of the human spirit to the call of the Divine. Worship begins when the first worshippers settle into the silence in the main meeting room. Some people arrive before the appointed time and begin to worship, so please enter the worship room quietly. Worship ends when the Clerk of the meeting shakes the hand of another person seated nearby. At that signal, people generally shake hands and greet each other.

I still plan to attend their worship service, but from what little I have learned so far, it's term "meeting" appears to mean silent worship service.

Daffydd,
the SFFMQ doesn't give any description of the setting you describe. Regardless, when they open to the public, I'll visit and give my testimony here at CFS when that time comes.