Quaker-type meetings

Simply that God still speaks. This in no way diminishes the Bible as the sole source of faith and morals, but it is comforting to hear from its Author!
How would you know it is the 'Author' one was hearing from, since there are many 'voices' speaking in people's ears.

How would you know it is the 'Author' one was hearing from, since there are many 'voices' speaking in people's ears.
If the result is a deeper love of Jesus, a better understanding and appreciation of the written Word and an increased desire to more closely follow Jesus. "By their fruits you shall know them" applies to experiences as well as to people.

If the result is a deeper love of Jesus, a better understanding and appreciation of the written Word and an increased desire to more closely follow Jesus. "By their fruits you shall know them" applies to experiences as well as to people.
I'm still trying to figure out why you responded to me in post 58 which was responding to my post 57 to Lanolin.

As far as hearing a clear and audible word from the Lord, yes, I have had them but I do not believe that internet forums is the place to share them, as anyone can be anything they want to be on the WWW and there are a lot of deceivers out there. Rightly placed Scripture is best for this media.

To date, the San Francisco Friends Meeting is still not open, despite the Red Code that allows open sanctuary worship.

Here is a small bit of information about SFFMQ whose membership is 140;

Our meeting for worship, which is at the core of Quaker practice, is focused on the response of the human spirit to the call of the Divine. Worship begins when the first worshippers settle into the silence in the main meeting room. Some people arrive before the appointed time and begin to worship, so please enter the worship room quietly. Worship ends when the Clerk of the meeting shakes the hand of another person seated nearby. At that signal, people generally shake hands and greet each other.

I still plan to attend their worship service, but from what little I have learned so far, it's term "meeting" appears to mean silent worship service.

Daffydd,
the SFFMQ doesn't give any description of the setting you describe. Regardless, when they open to the public, I'll visit and give my testimony here at CFS when that time comes.
Do you know whether this Meeting is liberal or conservative?
The conservatives stay closest to Fox and the early Quakers. Probably the best summary of Fox's position is found at quakerinfo.com/barbados.shtml. This is a letter written to the Governor of Barbados by Fox and some other Quakers in 1671 to counter some misinformation that had been circulated about their beliefs and practices.

May I humbly ask all who read these posts to search out Web pages concerning Quaker business meetings. I have already raised this subject in an earlier post, but the more I look into it, the more excited I become as I see these types of meetings as vital to the future, not only of Church business meetings, but also of commercial enterprises and, eventually, of governments of countries ("eventually" presumably being quite a way into the future!). Christian groups already existing in secular business and in political organizations (politicians Christian fellowships etc.), by conforming to the "Quaker" meeting ideal must surely become prophetic voices in their secular surroundings, as decisions are arrived at as to where Christians stand on certain controversial ethical issues and, more generally, are guided as to what true Christian positions are on a variety of issues.
The only stress that I would make that may differ a little from the traditional Quaker business meeting is that something more than a simple peaceful "spirit of the meeting" should be reached through the opening silence. Each member of the meeting must also be in a state of complete surrender to the inward presence of Christ ("the "Galatians 2:20" condition) and the meeting should best open with a prayer that Christ truly rules the meeting and reveals his perfect will to all its members.
Such groups, I believe, will become nuclei for Kingdom growth in Church, commercial and political spheres.
Please pray earnestly about this matter, for I believe it to be the future for both Church and society!
Blessings to all.

No, it would be more like coming into the presence of a great and powerful Person and, instead of constant chattering, asking for favors and expressing our own opinions, giving that Person the chance to speak and guide. I am not saying that we should not pray to God, only that we should spend at least as much time listening to Him and being guided and taught by His Spirit within. This teaching and guidance may come from illumination on specific Biblical verses, inner conviction (which may or may not be an inner voice) or through a word given through another member of the meeting. For Scriptural justification for this method, 1Cor. 14:26-33 seems to imply something like this.
A few further thoughts on this. My opinion (to which I believe that God has guided me) is that the approach of Christ-centered Quaker-style meetings is the best way for Christians to "hear' the Will of God for any course of action. If Christians have Christ's presence within through the Holy Spirit, then if a gathering of Christians comes together as the corporate Body of Christ governed by the Mind of Christ, then it is certain that they will all come to the same decision IF THEY SPEND AT LEAST SOME TIME LISTENING FOR THE INNER "VOICE" OF GOD AND NOT SIMPLY TRYING TO GET THEIR OWN POINT ACROSS! To think otherwise implies that the Mind of Christ can be divided, and that is surely a blasphemous position to hold. A meeting of Christians is not truly a Christian meeting until all its members truly submit to Christ as Lord of the meeting. I believe that this way to conduct Christian meetings will usher in a great spiritual awakening that will unify Christians by making explicit the union that we have all been given as members of the Body of Christ and who have been given the Mind of Christ. If only we would function as such!!!
In the very loooong run, I also believe that this is how Christ will rule the world through His Body. In my opinion, the renewed stress on the Holy Spirit by the charismatic movement and evangelical mystics such as A. Tozer, Norman Grubb, Joyce Huggett, Watchman Nee etc. has helped to prepare the way for this next great reformation. We can start right now by opening the door, not only of our own lives but of our meetings, to the Christ who knocks. "I stand at the door and knock ..." (Rev. 3:20).

Simply that God still speaks. This in no way diminishes the Bible as the sole source of faith and morals, but it is comforting to hear from its Author!

If God still speaks, why do we need the Bible?
To test the spirits?

Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world.
(Heb 1:1-2)

1 John 4:1 (NASB) Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

Garee

Account Closed
To test the spirits?

Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world.

1 John 4:1 (NASB) Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

I would offer. Yes to try or test the spirits as to what “manner” or kind of spirit whether of men inspired from earth as doctrines of men as commandments or oral traditions; “I heard it through the grape vine. . or of God not seen

Ultimately inspiration direction is the determining factor to the proper wisdom hid as mysteries revealed to new creatures . We do not know Christ after the wisdom of this world

Man’s wisdom …..James 3:15 This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish.

The wisdom of man is shown making the wisdom of God to no effect by the; “I heard it through the grape vine”

Isaiah 29:16 Surely your turning of things upside down shall be esteemed as the potter's clay: for shall the work say of him that made it, He made me not? or shall the thing framed say of him that framed it, He had no understanding?

The unseen wisdom of God. . Deuteronomy 32:2 My doctrine shall drop as the rain; my speech shall distil as the dew, as the small rain upon the tender herb, and as the showers upon the grass:

Signified in the opening of Genesis 1:1-2

Genesis 1;1-2 King James Version (KJV) In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

Over and over uses both the early and the latter rain as a whole .Possibly the old testement and new The doctrines of God (sola scriptura)

James 5:7 Be patient therefore, brethren, unto the coming of the Lord. Behold, the husbandman waiteth for the precious fruit of the earth, and hath long patience for it, until he receive the early and latter rain.

No movement, no inspriation . . Movement turns the wisdom of God right side up. Christ "the spring of living water"

The doctrines of God that come down like rain again representing living water. . . the water of the living, abiding word. . its doctrines move in us to both will and empower us to work with him when we are yoked he makes the burden lighter . . We know that we have the perfect or complete . The early rain and the latter with a warning at the end (Revelation 22 )not to add or subtract from the whole sealed with 7 seals until the end of time .

That would mean I believe if any man after the last words spoken by John if any man that says I had a vision I saw Jesus here or there or I had a dream or an audible voice we are commanded to believe not. He warned us before the closing and the warning as the end not to add or subtract .

In every case when the Holy Spirit mentions a doctrine twice it is to emphasize the importance.

Mathew 24: 23-26 Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there;. For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall believe it not (1) shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.Behold, I have told you before. Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not.(2)

The possible outcome as our safeguard. . if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect. Making it impossible.
That would eliminate any person that says the lord said this or that knowing he is no longer brining any new revelation The Book of Revelation is the closing chapter .There are no laws missing by which we could know Him more intimately

To test the spirits?

AND IF we are hearing someone speak to us..........How do we know if it is God ---Satan---or Hitler???

I would offer. Yes to try or test the spirits as to what “manner” or kind of spirit whether of men inspired from earth as doctrines of men as commandments or oral traditions; “I heard it through the grape vine. . or of God not seen

Ultimately inspiration direction is the determining factor to the proper wisdom hid as mysteries revealed to new creatures . We do not know Christ after the wisdom of this world

Man’s wisdom …..James 3:15 This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish.

The wisdom of man is shown making the wisdom of God to no effect by the; “I heard it through the grape vine”

Isaiah 29:16 Surely your turning of things upside down shall be esteemed as the potter's clay: for shall the work say of him that made it, He made me not? or shall the thing framed say of him that framed it, He had no understanding?

The unseen wisdom of God. . Deuteronomy 32:2 My doctrine shall drop as the rain; my speech shall distil as the dew, as the small rain upon the tender herb, and as the showers upon the grass:

Signified in the opening of Genesis 1:1-2

Genesis 1;1-2 King James Version (KJV) In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

Over and over uses both the early and the latter rain as a whole .Possibly the old testement and new The doctrines of God (sola scriptura)

James 5:7 Be patient therefore, brethren, unto the coming of the Lord. Behold, the husbandman waiteth for the precious fruit of the earth, and hath long patience for it, until he receive the early and latter rain.

No movement, no inspriation . . Movement turns the wisdom of God right side up. Christ "the spring of living water"

The doctrines of God that come down like rain again representing living water. . . the water of the living, abiding word. . its doctrines move in us to both will and empower us to work with him when we are yoked he makes the burden lighter . . We know that we have the perfect or complete . The early rain and the latter with a warning at the end (Revelation 22 )not to add or subtract from the whole sealed with 7 seals until the end of time .

That would mean I believe if any man after the last words spoken by John if any man that says I had a vision I saw Jesus here or there or I had a dream or an audible voice we are commanded to believe not. He warned us before the closing and the warning as the end not to add or subtract .

In every case when the Holy Spirit mentions a doctrine twice it is to emphasize the importance.

Mathew 24: 23-26 Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there;. For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall believe it not (1) shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.Behold, I have told you before. Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not.(2)

The possible outcome as our safeguard. . if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect. Making it impossible.
That would eliminate any person that says the lord said this or that knowing he is no longer brining any new revelation The Book of Revelation is the closing chapter .There are no laws missing by which we could know Him more intimately

crossnote said:
To test the spirits?

You answered with..........
"I would offer. Yes to try or test the spirits as to what “manner” or kind of spirit whether of men inspired from earth as doctrines of men as commandments or oral traditions; “I heard it through the grape vine. . or of God not seen".

Now.....how do you then explain your PRETERIST position which is completely non-Biblical?

And NO! I am not picking on you. I am only posting your exact words because you then in the same post said............
"That would mean I believe if any man after the last words spoken by John if any man that says I had a vision I saw Jesus here or there or I had a dream or an audible voice we are commanded to believe not. He warned us before the closing and the warning as the end not to add or subtract. .

The PRETERIST theology you promote where the events in the Revelation took place in 70 AD, and Jesus came and there was no resurrection of saints and the 1000 year rule of Christ has come and gone is totally a man made false theology.

SO my question is again......Why are you believing and promoting what has been added BY MEN which IS NOT FOUND IN THE BIBLE?????????

Garee

Account Closed
crossnote said:
To test the spirits?

You answered with..........
"I would offer. Yes to try or test the spirits as to what “manner” or kind of spirit whether of men inspired from earth as doctrines of men as commandments or oral traditions; “I heard it through the grape vine. . or of God not seen".

Now.....how do you then explain your PRETERIST position which is completely non-Biblical?

And NO! I am not picking on you. I am only posting your exact words because you then in the same post said............
"That would mean I believe if any man after the last words spoken by John if any man that says I had a vision I saw Jesus here or there or I had a dream or an audible voice we are commanded to believe not. He warned us before the closing and the warning as the end not to add or subtract. .

The PRETERIST theology you promote where the events in the Revelation took place in 70 AD, and Jesus came and there was no resurrection of saints and the 1000 year rule of Christ has come and gone is totally a man made false theology.

SO my question is again......Why are you believing and promoting what has been added BY MEN which IS NOT FOUND IN THE BIBLE?????????

Hi thanks for the reply..

I am waiting for you to show just what it is that I added? Another interpretation different than yours?

I am from the Amil camp. . the camp that was there during both reformations 1st and 15th .

I have not studied the PRETERIST position. The time of reformation was 33 AD , No sign was given that could indicate 70 AD. Jesus said it is a evil faithless generation,natural born unreedemed mankind that seeks after a sign Christians seek after the words of faith (prophecy)

Sign are for moving unbelivers prophecy moves those who believe.

The stones lost their ability to deceive mankind when Jesus walked out in Mathew 23 He declared it desolate or empty is desolate not would become 37 years later.

I think the Bible is really important for believers, to study and learn from though some seem to think they don't need the Bible.

From what I observe with Quakers is that originally they were very grounded in the Bible, as back in the 1700s or whenever they started it was like the ONLY book that was widely published and in people's homes. But I do think if some people just think a Quaker meeting is just a bunch of people sitting round being silent without believing in anything they might be mistaken. lol.

bobinfaith

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Do you know whether this Meeting is liberal or conservative?
The conservatives stay closest to Fox and the early Quakers. Probably the best summary of Fox's position is found at quakerinfo.com/barbados.shtml. This is a letter written to the Governor of Barbados by Fox and some other Quakers in 1671 to counter some misinformation that had been circulated about their beliefs and practices.

A few further thoughts on this. My opinion (to which I believe that God has guided me) is that the approach of Christ-centered Quaker-style meetings is the best way for Christians to "hear' the Will of God for any course of action. If Christians have Christ's presence within through the Holy Spirit, then if a gathering of Christians comes together as the corporate Body of Christ governed by the Mind of Christ, then it is certain that they will all come to the same decision IF THEY SPEND AT LEAST SOME TIME LISTENING FOR THE INNER "VOICE" OF GOD AND NOT SIMPLY TRYING TO GET THEIR OWN POINT ACROSS! To think otherwise implies that the Mind of Christ can be divided, and that is surely a blasphemous position to hold. A meeting of Christians is not truly a Christian meeting until all its members truly submit to Christ as Lord of the meeting. I believe that this way to conduct Christian meetings will usher in a great spiritual awakening that will unify Christians by making explicit the union that we have all been given as members of the Body of Christ and who have been given the Mind of Christ. If only we would function as such!!!
In the very loooong run, I also believe that this is how Christ will rule the world through His Body. In my opinion, the renewed stress on the Holy Spirit by the charismatic movement and evangelical mystics such as A. Tozer, Norman Grubb, Joyce Huggett, Watchman Nee etc. has helped to prepare the way for this next great reformation. We can start right now by opening the door, not only of our own lives but of our meetings, to the Christ who knocks. "I stand at the door and knock ..." (Rev. 3:20).

Hello Daffydd;

I didn't know there is a variance to the Quaker doctrine whether it is liberal or conservative. Your statement of the approach of Christ-centered Quaker-style meetings is the best way for Christians to "hear' the Will of God for any course of action.

I don't agree with your statement but I do respect your love and burning zeal for the Quakers.

There is a member from Friends Journal who shared this regarding the Meetings,

"Quakers, while we tend to be believers, don’t actually require belief in God. What we do require—if anything—is to ardently seek to do the right thing. Our goal is right action, even when we disagree over what right action is in a given circumstance."

San Francisco's membership is only 140 Quakers, it is still not opened despite the opening of worship services as of March 24, 2021. Once they open the door I'll be attending the meeting and ask my questions to the Clerk following to the meeting.

God bless you, Daffydd, and your family.

From reading your thoughts and opinions we can all see that your heart is right with God. I would however have to question the thought you said of....
"My opinion (to which I believe that God has guided me) is that the approach of Christ-centered Quaker-style meetings is the best way for Christians to "hear' the Will of God for any course of action."

Personally I believe that the best and ONLY way to hear God and know His will is through His written Word.

The Scriptures make life choices explicitly clear, and our decision on those matters should be no-brainers. We, IMPO do not have to sit and pray and pray in any kind of meeting to listen for what we think God is saying.

For example, should you take something that doesn’t belong to you (also known as stealing)? What’s God’s will for you in this choice?
God has already said that "Thou shalt not steal" in Ex. 20:15.

Should we have a sexual relationship outside of our marriage? What ios God's will for us in that choice????
God has already said that "Thou shalt not committ adultery in Ex. 20:12.

Not life is all about "Choices". I would submit that God has already SPOKEN to us and if we read His written Word we will know what the Will of God is.

That is NOT to say that believers should not meet and pray and seek out God in meetings!

When you get a bunch of people together in a meeting, eventually what you are going to hear is the thoughts of what is in a persons heart/mind and that is rarely the will of God.

From reading your thoughts and opinions we can all see that your heart is right with God. I would however have to question the thought you said of....
"My opinion (to which I believe that God has guided me) is that the approach of Christ-centered Quaker-style meetings is the best way for Christians to "hear' the Will of God for any course of action."

Personally I believe that the best and ONLY way to hear God and know His will is through His written Word.

The Scriptures make life choices explicitly clear, and our decision on those matters should be no-brainers. We, IMPO do not have to sit and pray and pray in any kind of meeting to listen for what we think God is saying.

For example, should you take something that doesn’t belong to you (also known as stealing)? What’s God’s will for you in this choice?
God has already said that "Thou shalt not steal" in Ex. 20:15.

Should we have a sexual relationship outside of our marriage? What ios God's will for us in that choice????
God has already said that "Thou shalt not committ adultery in Ex. 20:12.

Not life is all about "Choices". I would submit that God has already SPOKEN to us and if we read His written Word we will know what the Will of God is.

That is NOT to say that believers should not meet and pray and seek out God in meetings!

When you get a bunch of people together in a meeting, eventually what you are going to hear is the thoughts of what is in a persons heart/mind and that is rarely the will of God.
I basically agree with what you say, especially your last line! But that situation is EXACTLY the one which the sort of meeting process that I am talking about would avoid.
Take a hypothetical example. The Church of St. James by the Vinegar Factory has been given a very large donation of money, and the Church Council meets to decide what should be done with the donation. Mr. A favors using it to purchase a hall that has been for sale in the neighboring suburb and would be suitable for a new church plant. Mrs B, however, would prefer to use the money to purchase an old house close to the church to use as a drop-in center for youth. Miss C thinks that it should be used to enlarge the food bank. And so on ...
What most church councils would do is to copy the world's method and vote on the matter. They may say a quick prayer for guidance ,,, and then follow their own individual preferences anyway!
Now, the Bible says nothing about which alternative is the one that God desires. They are all "good", but one is, presumably, "best" i.e. corresponding with God's perfect will. Following the "Quaker-style" however, the Chairman of the council would call for a time of real (not just nominal) prayer, especially for God's will, not the members' own will, to be done. The members could search their Bibles for guidance from specific verses that may help and then the meeting would pass into silent meditation during which the will of God is earnestly sought. Mr. A finds that his suggestion begins to look less appealing. Likewise Miss C feels that her choice is not God's. Both start to sense that Mrs. B's proposal may be more in accord with what God wants in the present circumstances. Other members have similar shifts in thought. Eventually, everyone senses that God's will has become known (although each member is unaware of the others' thoughts). The Chairman calls for the conclusions of the individual members and each gives the same answer; the money is to be used for the purchase of a house to be used as a drop-in center.
I have been told about a (non-Quaker) church that regularly conducts its council meetings this way and that it is a real blessing. I believe that if this "method" becomes a regular one for churches, it will spread into other types of meetings as well (Quakers have been using it is commercial business since the days of Fox). A meeting of this nature ceases to be "a bunch of people" and becomes the corporate Body of Christ IF its members truly yield to Him as their Lord and inward Guide.

In contrast we have a biblical example in Acts 15. (Just a few selected verses)...

2 When therefore Paul and Barnabas had no small dissension and disputation with them, they determined that Paul and Barnabas, and certain other of them, should go up to Jerusalem unto the apostles and elders about this question.

7 And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe.

12 Then all the multitude kept silence, and gave audience to Barnabas and Paul, declaring what miracles and wonders God had wrought among the Gentiles by them.
13 And after they had held their peace, James answered, saying, Men and brethren, hearken unto me:

19 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God:

22 ¶ Then pleased it the apostles and elders, with the whole church, to send chosen men of their own company to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas; namely, Judas surnamed Barsabas, and Silas, chief men among the brethren:
23 And they wrote letters by them after this manner; The apostles and elders and brethren send greeting unto the brethren which are of the Gentiles in Antioch and Syria and Cilicia:

25 It seemed good unto us, being assembled with one accord, to send chosen men unto you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul,

32 And Judas and Silas, being prophets also themselves, exhorted the brethren with many words, and confirmed them.

(Act 15:2, 7, 12, 13, 19, 22, 23, 25, 32)

Last edited:
I basically agree with what you say, especially your last line! But that situation is EXACTLY the one which the sort of meeting process that I am talking about would avoid.
Take a hypothetical example. The Church of St. James by the Vinegar Factory has been given a very large donation of money, and the Church Council meets to decide what should be done with the donation. Mr. A favors using it to purchase a hall that has been for sale in the neighboring suburb and would be suitable for a new church plant. Mrs B, however, would prefer to use the money to purchase an old house close to the church to use as a drop-in center for youth. Miss C thinks that it should be used to enlarge the food bank. And so on ...
What most church councils would do is to copy the world's method and vote on the matter. They may say a quick prayer for guidance ,,, and then follow their own individual preferences anyway!
Now, the Bible says nothing about which alternative is the one that God desires. They are all "good", but one is, presumably, "best" i.e. corresponding with God's perfect will. Following the "Quaker-style" however, the Chairman of the council would call for a time of real (not just nominal) prayer, especially for God's will, not the members' own will, to be done. The members could search their Bibles for guidance from specific verses that may help and then the meeting would pass into silent meditation during which the will of God is earnestly sought. Mr. A finds that his suggestion begins to look less appealing. Likewise Miss C feels that her choice is not God's. Both start to sense that Mrs. B's proposal may be more in accord with what God wants in the present circumstances. Other members have similar shifts in thought. Eventually, everyone senses that God's will has become known (although each member is unaware of the others' thoughts). The Chairman calls for the conclusions of the individual members and each gives the same answer; the money is to be used for the purchase of a house to be used as a drop-in center.
I have been told about a (non-Quaker) church that regularly conducts its council meetings this way and that it is a real blessing. I believe that if this "method" becomes a regular one for churches, it will spread into other types of meetings as well (Quakers have been using it is commercial business since the days of Fox). A meeting of this nature ceases to be "a bunch of people" and becomes the corporate Body of Christ IF its members truly yield to Him as their Lord and inward Guide.

As A Southern Baptist, and having been in that very same example a couple of times......suggest that what was actually done by the church was to appoint a sub-committee of church members who who investigate the matter, make a recommendation and have the church then vote on what to do.

The Presbyterian style of Christian meetings then allows for discussion based on facts about a specific subject and allow the congregation to choose the best way to spend the money.

In most cases I have been involved in, the gift was enough to do what all the different member wanted to do when comprises were made by all.

In our case, instead of buying a 4 bedroom house for un-wed mothers, we bought a 3 bed room mobile home, then used the difference to then
update and re-supply our own food bank and then we were also able to pay the electric bills of all the members of the church for ONE month.

Wow they stopped disputing and listened to Peter.

It actually says 'Then all the multitude kept silence' ...And 'they held their peace'

A Quaker thing to do! Well actually something everyone should do.

There are all different types of Quakers, liberal, conservative, just as there are different types of Christians in denoms. I would venture in any given church you will come across unbelievers!

In Quaker meetings, if you have something to say, people stay silent and listen. It's just a matter of respect.

there's no 'vote' taken. I don't know what happens in all other churches but I do remember some of their AGMs being like club meetings where people say aye or yea and nay and there's lots of arguing and ballots and stuff, minutes are taken, and in general, the loudest people get the most say and their friends vote for them, and they get seconded and moved plus all this drama....