Question About England

bobinfaith

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Dear brothers and sisters;

Why do the country names Great Britain, The United Kingdom and England get used interchangeably? I'm sure Google or AI Overview will have an explanation. But when I ask this to English, Scottish and Welsh (who are a large community in the SF Bay Area) will also give me a variety of definitions.

I've shared at CFS my experience of living in England in 1964 when my Dad was stationed there in the Air Force. He was a navigator at Alconbury Air Force Base in Huntingdon. I experienced attending two private English schools instead of an American school on the military base. I also developed fond memories living there.

As a second grader I remember we prayed during the morning at the private school and this blessed me as a 7 year old. When I turned 9 years old my late Mom did the Christian prayer of acceptance with me when we were transferred to Rhein Main Air Force Base in Germany. I was saved in June 1966.

Back to the topic. I've heard from my community and wasn't quite satisfied with the answers so that's on me. But I felt led to ask direct to my fellow members here. I truly believe the participation of prayers at the English school led me to accept Christ.

One memory I have of England, the United Kingdom or Britain, I never cared for custard which they served at lunch. lol!

Whether you hail from England or elsewhere, I'd love to hear from you.

God bless everyone and their families.

Hi bobinfaith!

I'm in England! whoohooo!

I love this place the people are great! what a mix we have ( we are a very multicultural place!)

My local pub I visit at the weekends is run by a Hindu man who is lovely, and we have Asians and English that visit. All friendly people. I live near Birmingham and it's a big city. We don't have any Americans around here though, but I have seen them regularly in London.
Having just returned back from London a few weeks ago for the match, I can say I love it more than ever, it's such a busy place but the vibe is welcoming. I went into Westminster cathedral for Praise and worship and the Organist was incredible. The little children sang wonderful hymns.

IMG_0780.jpeg

Well we never brought it home, but the atmosphere was good! Speak more about my country soon! Hope others join in 🙏

Hi Via;

Yes, I'm reminded of the historic buildings and cool weather in your photo.

What match were you referring to, football?

So for the record you're in England. Where we lived was Huntingdon and Hartford, England.

Oh, and I remember my parents watched the BBC on the telly.
lol!

Back