Questionable science

I bought this Klutz Rock, Gem and Geode maker lab kit the other day. It comes with 31 different rocks and gems and I personally think it's pretty cool to have a collection and find out more about God's treasures he's put in the earth.

However, even the book that comes with it can't seem to get away from the questionable science when it claims, on page 27 in Experiment #5 Home-grown Geode

Geodes are sort of like Earth's hidden treasure. When you crack open one of these rocks, you'll find layers and layers of sparkly crystals! It takes millions of years for a geode to form. Geodes can be all kinds of colors, from purple amethyst (see page 10) to pale pink.

haha millions of years, yet this home grown geode (it gives instructions on how to make it, using the crystal powder and plaster of paris and mould that comes in the kit) can be made and grown in just a week!

I'm like, just drop the 'millions of years' thing science writers, you ain't fooling anybody. If I can make one in a week, then surely it didn't take MILLIONS of years to form in the earth.

Well, I started making my geode yesterday. I am telling you it's not going to take a million years to form.

There's already crystals forming in the bottom of the jar..

My second lot of crystals have now been poured into the geode. The plaster of paris only took half an hour to set.
By the end of the week I will have a sparkly geode that looks just like the ones they claim took millions of years to form!

I bought this Klutz Rock, Gem and Geode maker lab kit the other day. It comes with 31 different rocks and gems and I personally think it's pretty cool to have a collection and find out more about God's treasures he's put in the earth.

However, even the book that comes with it can't seem to get away from the questionable science when it claims, on page 27 in Experiment #5 Home-grown Geode

Geodes are sort of like Earth's hidden treasure. When you crack open one of these rocks, you'll find layers and layers of sparkly crystals! It takes millions of years for a geode to form. Geodes can be all kinds of colors, from purple amethyst (see page 10) to pale pink.

haha millions of years, yet this home grown geode (it gives instructions on how to make it, using the crystal powder and plaster of paris and mould that comes in the kit) can be made and grown in just a week!

I'm like, just drop the 'millions of years' thing science writers, you ain't fooling anybody. If I can make one in a week, then surely it didn't take MILLIONS of years to form in the earth.

If you are trying to suggest that you can make a crystal in one week in a jar when it took normal earth evolution millions of years to do.... and because of that the earth is not millions of years old, that is not just not going to fly.

People have been doing that kind of thing in science labs for many, many years and modern science has been able to do all kinds of things that would normally take years to do.

Example:
OIL. It takes millions of years for dirt, decomposition of plants and animal remains (Fossils) pressed to temperature and tectonic pressure and formed as a hydrocarbon mixture to make OIL.

Synthetic oil is made from natural gas, via a gas-to-liquids (GTL) process, in hours instead of millions of years.

Is it possible that you are creating a replica and not the real thing? I just watched a YouTube of a lady and her daughter playing with this and, by the end of the week, it did not work out very well.

Good luck and take pictures.

Rtm

Oh it's real. The way crystals are formed is the exact same. I haven't really speeded anything up.
It doesn't take a million years to make a cake either. It's just all the ingredients are now there.

external-content.duckduckgo.jpg
Looks kinda like this except mine is not as crystally, more rounder crystally I don't know if its because when I did it the water evaporated faster. Maybe it depends on the temperature. I've put it in the garden as a feature.

If you are trying to suggest that you can make a crystal in one week in a jar when it took normal earth evolution millions of years to do.... and because of that the earth is not millions of years old, that is not just not going to fly.

People have been doing that kind of thing in science labs for many, many years and modern science has been able to do all kinds of things that would normally take years to do.

Example:
OIL. It takes millions of years for dirt, decomposition of plants and animal remains (Fossils) pressed to temperature and tectonic pressure and formed as a hydrocarbon mixture to make OIL.

Synthetic oil is made from natural gas, via a gas-to-liquids (GTL) process, in hours instead of millions of years.
What in scripture leads you to believe that the earth is not young? I have seen tree trunks going through what is supposedly millions of years worth of layering. Do you also believe in the evolution of humans?

What in scripture leads you to believe that the earth is not young? I have seen tree trunks going through what is supposedly millions of years worth of layering. Do you also believe in the evolution of humans?

No Mavi I do not subscribe to the Evolution theory. NO born again believer can accept evolution.

The facts are that Trees provide a unique insight into the ancient past of our planet, and the Smithsonian in fact has a 16 million year old tree fossil.

The age of the earth has no bearing on the creation of life. An ancient earth does not equate with Darwinian evolution.

Mavi, most of us know that if we follow Bible genealogy we will see that Adam and Eve were made about 6,000 years ago. The Bible record, however, is silent regarding exactly how old is the earth.

Genesis 1:2...........
"And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters."

Hello Mavi Bee;

You ask a good question. Attempting to reconcile evolution to the Bible has been an ongoing debate since the early church, thus Questionable Science remains a supposition. There will never be a conclusion to this ongoing discussion.

Questionable science and evolution has always provided layers and layers of "impressive" information but at the end of the day it's interpretation cannot be force fact and it cannot prove the past.

What I believe in my faith is Creationism, God's blueprint of the heavens, universe, and every creation; God's Word backs up Truth from the beginning of the young earth, or 6000 years ago.

Example, if the old earth is considered to be millions of years old, including rocks and dirt, then that would have been the beginning of the heavens and the earth reference Genesis 1:1. Therefore, how do we account for Adam's life which was 930 years?

Evolution and questionable science will always attempt to take it's argument to reach God's agreement. I believe, instead, God's perfect Word will always reach human agreement.

I may have opened a can or worms in this topic, but it may align in the discussion. Like I said, this will always be an ongoing discussion and hopefully the debate will be respectful and amicable.

God bless you, Mavi Bee, and your family.

"Creation Science" is, and probably Always will be BAD SCIENCE, because it STARTS with conclusions (OEC, or YEC) and attempts to reinforce one or the other conclusion with "evidence" that can be interpreted/adjusted appropriately to "prove" one view or the other. That's not "Science" at all - just religious politics. PERSONALLY, I'm "OEC" ascribing to the "Gap Theory". If I'm wrong - Oh well. Not a Salvific issue.

"Creation Science" is, and probably Always will be BAD SCIENCE, because it STARTS with conclusions (OEC, or YEC) and attempts to reinforce one or the other conclusion with "evidence" that can be interpreted/adjusted appropriately to "prove" one view or the other. That's not "Science" at all - just religious politics. PERSONALLY, I'm "OEC" ascribing to the "Gap Theory". If I'm wrong - Oh well. Not a Salvific issue.
I believe it start with God’s Word as we all should…

Hebrews 11:3
[3] By faith we understand that the universe was created by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things that are visible.

(Assuming theistic evolution is true), I wonder where in the course of millions of years did God breathe into Adam the breath of life? Gen 2.7. Remember that was done before the creation of Eve. Gen 2.22

(Assuming theistic evolution is true), I wonder where in the course of millions of years did God breathe into Adam the breath of life? Gen 2.7. Remember that was done before the creation of Eve. Gen 2.22
God just waited a couple of million years as he was a slow coach at creation.
haha no.

People get hung up on millions years. If a volcano can be created in a day, then so can mountains be moved in a day. The flood took 40 days and 40 nights, and receded over a couple hundred days, not millions of years. That amount of displacement of water would have taken not long to move...but evolutionists claim everything was going in slooooooooooooow motion lol. They are obviously wrong, plus they weren't even there to prove it, they are only going on estimates and baseless calculations of percentages. You can't form a solid foundation on shifting sand like that.

It would be like me trying to guess how old you are based on the percentage of calcium in your bones.

Last edited:
God just waited a couple of million years as he was a slow coach at creation.
haha no.

People get hung up on millions years. If a volcano can be created in a day, then so can mountains be moved in a day. The flood took 40 days and 40 nights, and receded over a couple hundred days, not millions of years. That amount of displacement of water would have taken not long to move...but evolutionists claim everything was going in slooooooooooooow motion lol. They are obviously wrong, plus they weren't even there to prove it, they are only going on estimates and baseless calculations of percentages. You can't form a solid foundation on shifting sand like that.

It would be like me trying to guess how old you are based on the percentage of calcium in your bones.
Well said, at the end of the day God says what He means and means what He says.

Back