Random Thought About God

Is there anything that you can do that will force God to respond in a specific and predetermined way?

In other words, if you do X then God must do Y.

What are the ramifications of your response?

Short answer is No.

He already knows what we are about and what we are up to.

I would just hope He doesn’t hit the “smite” key on His keyboard for even imagining we might try to coerce Him into anything.

Is there anything that you can do that will force God to respond in a specific and predetermined way?

In other words, if you do X then God must do Y.

God isn't an organ grinder monkee who dances to whatever tune we humans play. There is nothing we can do to control God's behavior to make him conform to our will.

Is there anything that you can do that will force God to respond in a specific and predetermined way? In other words, if you do X then God must do Y.
There is nothing we can do that will guarantee a specific response from God. What are the ramifications of this?

Hello LearningToLetGo;

I'll answer in three ways based on my life experience with God.

When I have sinned it forced God to respond with consequences to my actions.

Example; I did something evil in secret more than once, and got caught by the people most important to me. They were shocked at my behavior and I had no choice but confess the truth of my wrong doing.

The ramification was the many times that I sampled the world, I needed to pray myself out of what I behaved my way into.

There was a specific time when I was forced to succeed in an emergency situation and asked God to respond specifically.

Example; My wife and I relocated to the SF Bay Area in 1988 and stayed with a family while we got settled. One August day in 1988 my wife and I got into a heated exchange with this family and they abruptly kicked us out. We were to blame. Suddenly we were homeless and weren't gainfully employed yet. That day our apartment that we applied for was approved without being employed. Two hours later I received a job offer.

The ramification was my self esteem being tied up in my empty gestures which exposed me.

God does not guarantee a specific response according to my "quick fix gratification" requests to Him.

The ramification was when I felt on the edge of the cliff, or got down on my knees behind closed doors, humbled and cried out to Him. It didn't get the response I wanted, but guided me through His Way. The lessons, humility and lowering of myself was heavy.

Love in Christ.
Bob

When I ask, "is there anything that you can do that will force God to respond in a specific and predetermined way?" I'm thinking naturally about salvation. Is there anything you can do that will force God to save you? Naturally the answer is no. As you rightfully noted, God does not respond to us. It is we who respond to him.

The Bible tells us that the only way to the Father is through the Son and I believe that, but even if we accept the Son that can't, in effect, force God to save us. There must be more to it than that. I'm trying to understand what's going on here.

There is nothing we can do that will guarantee a specific response from God.

What are the ramifications of this?
I must confess that my response to your previous question was a bit forceful and somewhat harsh. For that I apologize.

There are indeed actions we can take which will cause God to behave in a certain fashion.

If we come to him contritely repentant, he will forgive us.

If we ask God to save us based upon Christ's crosswork, God will save us.

If we follow God's will on a daily basis, God will direct our lives and lead us to precisely what he wishes to be done.

Again, I'm sorry for my previous curtness, and may God bless you and yours.

Back