Reaching out to ESL speakers

I had noticed that with a lot of people, maybe because they don't encounter people from another culture very often, they don't quite understand the social difficulties they face.

If you've ever grown up in a family where English is not your first langauge, or members are from another country and had to translate how things work around here to your parents...have immigrated, or been a refugee, things are going to be very foreign, the culture may be the complete opposite of what you are used to, also all the things you knew how to do in your old home country just won't work in your adopted one.

I've had some very rude and ignorant people make assumptions about people from other cultures - 'other' meaning they may speak a different language that you don't understand. Christians sadly do this as well, put people down for speaking in tongues they may not understand, don't translate, and don't make an effort to make people feel welcome.

I am going to be brave and challenge you all to think about how you interact with people who are not like yourself. That don't look like you, and don't speak like you. Are you kind, hospitable and gracious or do you regard 'them' as an enemy?

I had noticed that with a lot of people, maybe because they don't encounter people from another culture very often, they don't quite understand the social difficulties they face. I've had some very rude and ignorant people make assumptions about people from other cultures - 'other' meaning they may speak a different language that you don't understand. Christians sadly do this as well, put people down for speaking in tongues they may not understand, don't translate, and don't make an effort to make people feel welcome. I am going to be brave and challenge you all to think about how you interact with people who are not like yourself. That don't look like you, and don't speak like you. Are you kind, hospitable and gracious or do you regard 'them' as an enemy?

Hello Lanolin;

When I was 22 my grandparents took my brother and me to another country as a Christmas gift. My grandparents and Dad advised us to let go of America for 5 weeks and observe, respect and adapt to the culture, customs and people we were visiting. It was one of the best advice of my life.

I have always been sensitive of other people's feelings, especially cultures and enemies. I've made some awful mistakes because of my mouth, immaturity or lack of understanding, but its because of these flaws that I tried to learn from them and improve my interaction with people.

Yes, Christians sadly do this as well. What are other ways we can interact and minimize these barriers with cultures?

Thanks, Lanolin.

Well Paul gave advice in 1 Corinthians 9:20

And basically you become a servant to those who are hosting you..yes if they are welcoming they will treat you as a guest, but you can do your bit by offering to helping in whatever way you can. Don't ever take it for granted that you can just impose the way you live on another culture. If everyone drives on the left don't be a fool and insist everyone now ought to drive on the right just because they did in your home country. (I have actually heard this ridiculous notion bandied about).

Think about how when people emigrate to another country they then want to join the workforce and often do the hardest jobs to serve the host country. What did Jesus do, well he offered to wash his disciples feet, why because even though he could have ruled over everyone and ask them to treat him like a King, but he did not, he humbled himself.
Jesus also would speak the language of the people at the time...which was Greek and Latin. Even though he had his own dialect, and knew Hebrew.

Food customs are also something people need to get past. When people invite you to a meal, its always polite just to taste a bit even if you aren't familiar with it. They have gone to all the trouble of preparing it and cooking it for you after all. You might learn a new recipe or even how to create a new dish. Bring something of your own to share, if not food, maybe a song, or something from your own culture. Invite people to bring theirs and share.

When people emigrate to your country do you make the effort to show them around and navigate places they haven't been to before? Do you talk to them and invite them to things, and help them out when they get stuck and need to ask for help? Or do you just tell people who look different to you to go home? Some people actually want to make a new home and life for themselves. They have left their homelands because of war etc and want a new life and there is no turning back.
The reverse is true for those immigrants, its actually rude to start complaining to the natives that you don't like the country, because the natives it is their only home whether they like it or not, but if you are just a guest or traveller you CAN always just go home.

Well Paul gave advice in 1 Corinthians 9:20

And basically you become a servant to those who are hosting you..yes if they are welcoming they will treat you as a guest, but you can do your bit by offering to helping in whatever way you can. Don't ever take it for granted that you can just impose the way you live on another culture. If everyone drives on the left don't be a fool and insist everyone now ought to drive on the right just because they did in your home country. (I have actually heard this ridiculous notion bandied about).

Think about how when people emigrate to another country they then want to join the workforce and often do the hardest jobs to serve the host country. What did Jesus do, well he offered to wash his disciples feet, why because even though he could have ruled over everyone and ask them to treat him like a King, but he did not, he humbled himself.
Jesus also would speak the language of the people at the time...which was Greek and Latin. Even though he had his own dialect, and knew Hebrew.

Food customs are also something people need to get past. When people invite you to a meal, its always polite just to taste a bit even if you aren't familiar with it. They have gone to all the trouble of preparing it and cooking it for you after all. You might learn a new recipe or even how to create a new dish. Bring something of your own to share, if not food, maybe a song, or something from your own culture. Invite people to bring theirs and share.

When people emigrate to your country do you make the effort to show them around and navigate places they haven't been to before? Do you talk to them and invite them to things, and help them out when they get stuck and need to ask for help? Or do you just tell people who look different to you to go home? Some people actually want to make a new home and life for themselves. They have left their homelands because of war etc and want a new life and there is no turning back.
The reverse is true for those immigrants, its actually rude to start complaining to the natives that you don't like the country, because the natives it is their only home whether they like it or not, but if you are just a guest or traveller you CAN always just go home.

Good day Lanolin, I have been meaning to ask you this. When you post these types of comments, are they motivated by something that has happened to you, or are they just random thoughts?

rtm3039

This is reality RTM for many many many people I can't believe you have never encountered stuff like this before.

They are not random thoughts God wants us to look after each other even if they are not from your own biological family. Remember Jesus was a light to the Gentiles he didn't say 'I'm just going to save my own people'.

This is reality RTM for many many many people I can't believe you have never encountered stuff like this before.

They are not random thoughts God wants us to look after each other even if they are not from your own biological family. Remember Jesus was a light to the Gentiles he didn't say 'I'm just going to save my own people'.
Sorry, it just never happened to me. I migrated to the US at around age 4. Really did not have much of an issue fitting in. As an adult, I spent around 18 years living in other countries, and never had an issue assimilating into different cultures. I'm Cuban, my wife is Hungarian, and we have kids that can claim German, North American, Puerto Rican, and Samoan origins, but none of us really care about all of that. I guess that if you spend your entire life exposed to different cultures, it really becomes transparent.

I live, and grew up, in Miami, Fl. We are a serious melting pot of South American, Caribbean, African, European, and Asian places. https://www.miamiandbeaches.com/pla...multicultural-miami/diverse-cultures-in-miami

Wait, I do recall having a crush on this little girl, Michele, when we were in elementary school. Her father did not like that, because I was not Jewish. Does that count?

I think Jewish and some English people tend to have a superiority complex over other cultures.
Also it is harder for older people to 'assimilate' and people do want to keep their own cultures because they are familiar with them (and the young to discover their roots too)
You might be lucky RTM, but many are not so lucky, and live in constant fear of being racially profiled. Living a charmed life doesn't mean you cannot empathise with those who aren't so lucky - in nz, its not a 'melting pot' so much, some of its still a crazy quilt. In schools people still divide off into different niches and theres still the thing about being stand offish to any immigrants encroaching on peoples territories.
Even if you are born in a country, many people will assume you don't belong if you don't look like them. Not sure why!

Back