Restaurant Names

I was reading the paper today and It had a supplement that was all about the top 50 restaurants in my town and honestly I think I'd only ever been to one of them.
They all had names like Prego, Depot, Ciba, Vinnies, which sounds vaguely Italian and not actually describing or giving any clue as to what kind of cuisine to expect.

If I were naming a restaurant it would definitely indicate what kind of food or atmosphere you can find there.

Like The Hungry Horse, or Kai Time, or Eatta-Lotta-Foods.
Or Mr Lobster, Treasure Kitchen, Yummy Tummies

I once had a dishwashing job at a catering kitchen called Loaves and Fishes.

? What about you..what are your favourite restaurant names.

I haven't seen a Bobs Big Boy in a very long time. Here in Ogden, Utah we have a place called idk BBQ. I think I would name one... It doesn't matter, whatever you want is ok. That way mine is the 1st one mentioned when someone asks. LOL.

Hello Dave;

I only remember enjoying going to Bob's but I did a search and they still have only under 70 locations operating, most of them in Southern California.

Eatta -Lotta
I would go in there just to see how much I could eat.lol

Most of the restaurants near me are named fairly boring names. But something fun and eye catching would pique my attention and I would go if others were also in.

If I don’t see people eating in a resteraunt I don’t go in as I like looking at the food and the people eating to see if they are enjoying it.

Up here in the upper left corner of the USA we have a lot of diversity in restaurants. But sticking to distinctly local American style restaurants here are two with appropriate names.

CE36F918-8D6F-44CC-8884-70BD35F7D7C1.jpeg
At the low end of atmosphere and decorum is the family owned Cave Man Kitchen. It is kind of a dump, but boy do they have great wood smoked chicken. The use local woods like alder and maple to slow smoke their offerings in large wood fired ovens. They also will custom smoke anything you want to bring in like whole turkeys, salmon, local game or even whole pigs. Their slogan is: You choke em’ and we’ll smoke em’.
You can eat at the wooden pick nick tables outdoors, but we always get take out here.

CB950EAF-B196-4784-B00F-02C591AE397F.jpeg
Speaking of take out, at the other end of the spectrum we have the Space Needle Restaurant. This is a favorite spot to take out-of-town guests for a memorable experience. It is a slowing revolving restaurant 600 feet up with a 360 degree view of the Olympic mountains, the Seattle waterfront, downtown and Mt. Rainier. The food’s not bad, but you come here more for the Space Needle view than the cuisine. We only go here when we have guests.
CFC08994-5013-4B2D-959B-6ECA0DFF0E9C.jpeg
View to the southwest from inside the Space Needle.

When my wife and I moved here to western Maryland a few years ago, we had to adjust to having fewer restaurants than we were used to in the Fredericksburg and Northern Virginia areas were we were previously living.

Locally, we have MacDonald's, Burger King, Dairy Queen and Arby's for drive through.

We have a man made lake (Deep Creek) with a some hospitality oriented establishments. Today, my wife and I went to the lake to Uno's, which serves deep dish pizza and a variety of other entrees including the teriyaki salmon we had today.

When we feel like 'fine dinning' we go to Dutches at Silvertree, which is a restaurant at a lodge on the lake (pricey). We like the jumbo shrimp there.

If we want to drive a little farther we can go to Penn-Alps or travel to LaVale and go to Cracker Barrrell

I like Hell's Pizza, though some people object to the name. I just say how else is the pizza cooked? It goes into the fiery furnace!

At least it's not microwaved, if they did that it would be called Nuked Pizza. Or Soggy's.

I would go in there just to see how much I could eat.lol

Most of the restaurants near me are named fairly boring names. But something fun and eye catching would pique my attention and I would go if others were also in.

If I don’t see people eating in a resteraunt I don’t go in as I like looking at the food and the people eating to see if they are enjoying it.
What about the Enjoy Inn

I'm good at making up names.

Chinese restaurants always have some combination of these words: Golden, Fortune, Lucky, Garden, Bamboo, Lotus,
If its seafood it will be Yacht, Harbour, Lobster,

Honestly I don't think there are any local NZ restaurants as our cuisine isn't really fancy enough served in restaurants, they would just be pie carts or takeaways. When people go out to eat, they want to eat anything but NZ food, they after the exotic. If we want NZ food we just stay home and eat lol

Although if you want a good roast dinner, the RSA is often passable. It will just be meat and potatoes, peas and carrots for the main and jelly and icecream for dessert though. RSA = Returned Services Association

We have the fast food places called Burger King and there is also another big fast food chain here called Dairy Queen.

There is also a local restaurant with Korean style food called Chicken Prince.

I don’t know if they are all related, maybe it’s a coincidence, but there does seem to be a lot of royalty in the restaurant business.

and this is the rest...I was like what.

Ahi
Azabu Ponsonby
Baduzzi
Bar Magda
Beau
Boxer
Bunga Raya
Cazador
Cibo
Cotto
Depot
East
Ebisu
Esther
Gao
Gochu
Hello Beasty
Hugo's Bistro
kingi
Lilian
Lillus
Madame George
MoVida
Ockhee
Ooh-Fa
Omni
Onslow
Paris Butter
Pici
Pocha
Poni
Prego
Satya Chai Lounge
Sid at the French Cafe
Sidart
Soul Bar & Bistro
The Blue Breeze Inn
The Engine Room
The Grove
The Lodge Bar

??????

We have Burger King too. And my aunty and uncle owned a takeaway called Burger Queen. No place with my name though!

Up here in the upper left corner of the USA we have a lot of diversity in restaurants. But sticking to distinctly local American style restaurants here are two with appropriate names.

View attachment 8210
At the low end of atmosphere and decorum is the family owned Cave Man Kitchen. It is kind of a dump, but boy do they have great wood smoked chicken. The use local woods like alder and maple to slow smoke their offerings in large wood fired ovens. They also will custom smoke anything you want to bring in like whole turkeys, salmon, local game or even whole pigs. Their slogan is: You choke em’ and we’ll smoke em’.
You can eat at the wooden pick nick tables outdoors, but we always get take out here.

View attachment 8211
Speaking of take out, at the other end of the spectrum we have the Space Needle Restaurant. This is a favorite spot to take out-of-town guests for a memorable experience. It is a slowing revolving restaurant 600 feet up with a 360 degree view of the Olympic mountains, the Seattle waterfront, downtown and Mt. Rainier. The food’s not bad, but you come here more for the Space Needle view than the cuisine. We only go here when we have guests.
View attachment 8212
View to the southwest from inside the Space Needle.

Hey, Lanolin;

Your parent's had a takeaway called Burger Queen? What is a takeaway?

Hey, blueskies;

Years ago we attended a marble show at Seatac Holiday Inn Express. I didn't even think about the Space Needle but would love to take my wife there for a dinner experience. Is it hard to get reservations?

I’m going to hazard a guess and say this is a British name. We had Morris minor cars here in the 70s I remember them😁
But In your eatery It sounds like a good name for a fish and chip shop.

Hello Via;

When we lived in England the fish and chips truck would come to the neighborhoods weekly. My dad would buy the family fish and chips wrapped in newspapers. 😎 👍

1668696680873.png1668696704827.png

Years ago we attended a marble show at Seatac Holiday Inn Express. I didn't even think about the Space Needle but would love to take my wife there for a dinner experience. Is it hard to get reservations?
Dear bobinfaith,
It’s been awhile since we’ve been there so I looked into it a bit

A year or so before covid they closed the existing restaurant for a complete renovation that was to include a glass floor and all new decor.
Then covid arrived, and in Seattle, if not every where, it decimated the restaurant business here.
Consequently, the plans apparently changed for the restaurant and it is now a bar/lounge for only 21 and over called “The Loupe Lounge”.
Sadly, I doubt we will be going back now that it is no longer family friendly restaurant.
:(

Back