Revelation. Vision 2. Christ Opening the Judgment Scroll.

Christ Opening the Scroll. (Rev. 6)

When Christ takes the scroll, only He is worthy to open and read what is written. This is symbolic of Him receiving the authority over the earth and bringing the judgments that had been sealed up by God.

` Is this not laid up in store with Me, sealed up....?Vengeance is Mine, and recompense;` (Deut. 34 & 35)

These judgments are upon the rebellious nations of the earth who operate under the control and power of Satan. They consider that they control their own affairs and that they are the sole arbiter of their destiny. But Satan and the nations however, do not have the final say. There is a higher authority controlling the world systems and shaping the nations according to His Divine Will.

The Father had told His Son, that He would gather the nations to His Son for judgment.

Sit at my right hand till I make your enemies your footstool.` (Ps. 110: 1)

The prophet Zechariah saw this happening in a vision of four horses with chariots that went forth throughout the earth. God said that these are the 4 spirits of heaven that are sent forth to bring the nations to judgement.

`These are the four spirits of heaven, who go out from their station before the Lord of all the earth.`(Zech. 6: 5)

God explains that these four spirits of the heavens, which go forth from the Lord, operate in the realm of the predominant ruling powers of the world. These ruling powers, great confederacies seek to control and dominate others.

These are the great federations that we see represented coming forth as the scroll is opened. The four spirits of heaven, symbolised by the horses, have brought the nations to the Lord`s `feet,` for judgment.

`Now.... when the Lamb opened ...the seals...Behold, a white horse,....a red horse,....a black horse,.... & a pale horse...` (Rev. 6: 1 – 8)

And upon these `horses,` are men, who represent the predominant ruling powers of the world in the last days.

So who are they and how have they been ruling?

The Federations being brought to Judgment.

As the Lord removes the seals on the scroll we see the four different confederacies that are vying for world domination. Each are under a `strong delusion,` because they would not receive the truth.

British Empire - Conquering.

`Now I saw when the Lamb opened one of the seals, and I heard one of the four living creatures saying with a voice like thunder, “Come and see,” And I looked and behold a white horse. He who sat on it had a bow; and crown was given to him, and he went out conquering and to conquer.`(Rev. 6 :1 & 2)

The British Empire was the first Great power in recent times. It has a Monarch, symbolised by the `crown,` and went forth conquering and to conquer. Eventually it had control of over a quarter of the world. Even though it has now become a Commonwealth of nations it is still a pre-dominant power of the world.

The prophet Daniel also was given a vision of this super power. He saw it as a `beast,` a lion with eagles wings. Daniel was told that the beast was a kingdom in the time when judgments would come upon the world.

The symbol of the `Lion` matches Britain`s emblem, while the `Eagle` is for America, which eventually separated, (broke off) from the Lion Federation. Today these powers still work together. (Dan. 7: 4)

The Soviet Union - War.

`When He opened the second seal, I heard the second living creature saying, ”Come and see,” and another horse, fiery red, went out. And it was granted to the one who sat on it to take peace from the earth, and that people should kill one another; and there was given to him a great sword.` (Rev. 6: 3 & 4)

The next great Federation that came to power was the Soviet Union, after WW1. This confederacy has `a great sword,` `that people should kill one another.` It took in nation after nation behind the `iron curtain,` and killed over 40 million in its gulags, work camps.

Then towards the end of last century this great power broke up into Independent nations around Russia. However they are still under the Communist rule and have the same philosophy.

The Prophet Daniel was shown this great power as a ferocious bear devouring others. Then the prophet Ezekiel saw it as a great Federation of nations following the leader, Russia. (Dan. 7: 5, Ez. 38: 1 - 7)

They will try and annihilate Israel, God`s people, however God will step in and wipe out most of their armies. (Ex. 39: 1 - 6)

The European UnionMarket Economy.

`When He opened the third seal, I heard the third living creature say, “Come and see,” And I looked, and behold, a black horse, and he who sat on it had a pair of scales in his hand. And I heard a voice in the midst of the four living creatures saying, “A quart of wheat for a denarius, and three quarts of barley for a denarius; and hurt not the oil and wine.”`(Rev. 6: 5 & 6)

This Great Union of nations arose after WW 2. At first Europe was decimated, however the allies helped it to rebuild by getting them to give free access across their borders. Over time this came to be the European Union with its own currency and government.

The prophet Daniel saw this great Federation as it began with four `heads,` leaders, (Germany, Italy, France and Benelux, (Belgium, Netherlands and Luxemborg.)

Their philosophy of `free trade,` or `market economy,` spread throughout the world as countries gave free access to businesses to trade freely. This seemed good, however eventually the multi-nationals took over and small and medium business declined.

The symbol of the scales refers to a market economy. This indicates a measurement of goods and produce. The `denarius` is equivalent to a day`s pay, revealing the great hardship of that time. You would not receive much for working all day, barely enough to live on.

This is even now seen across the world.

IslamTerror.

`When He opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth living creature saying, “Come and see,” And I looked, and behold, a pale horse.
And the name of him who sat on it was Death, and Hades followed with him. And power was given to them over a fourth of the earth, to kill with sword, with hunger, with death, and by the beasts of the earth.`(Rev. 6: 7 & 8)

This fourth confederacy, Islam, will be the most terrifying force the world has ever seen. It will use the sword, cause famine, bring plagues & the beasts of the earth to kill a quarter of the world`s population - billions of people.

The prophet Daniel saw this Federation as a `terrifying beast,` as exceedingly strong, devouring and breaking in pieces, and trampling down the other Federations. It shall devour the whole earth but shall be judged by God and its dominion taken away. (Dan. 7: 7, 23 - 26)

When the Lord releases these powerful spirits (symbolised by the 4 horsemen) it is the time of judgement upon mankind that has not received the truth of God but believe the lie. We see the predominant confederacies come together to form a global government. People who do not want to belong to this evil beastly system, but are trusting God, will be martyred.

When the final Great Federation comes to power in the Middle of the tribulation it will demand allegiance to it. Many will follow, thinking this is the way to peace, however many others will not obey but turn to God. Some of these will be martyred.

5. Martyrs – Under the Altar.

`When He opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain for the word of God and for the testimony which they held. And they cried with a loud voice, saying, “How long, O Lord, holy and true, until you judge and avenge our blood on those who dwell on the earth?”

And a white robe was given to each of them; and it was said to them that they should rest a while longer, until both the number of their fellow servants and their brethren who would be killed as they had been, was completed.”``(Rev. 6: 9)

These martyrs are `under the altar,` referring to the ultimate protection of God. Man may kill the body but God protects the soul. They are given a `white robe,` which is righteousness in Christ Jesus, and then they have to wait for all those who would still be martyred.

6. The Great Earthquake – Shaking Heaven & Earth.

`I looked when He opened the sixth seal, and behold, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth made of hair, and the moon became like blood. And the stars of heaven fell to the earth, as a fig tree drops its late figs when it is shaken by a mighty wind. Then the sky receded as a scroll when it is rolled up, and every mountain and island was moved out of its place. And the Kings of the earth, the great men, the rich men, the commanders, the mighty men, every slave and every free man, hid themselves in the caves and in the rocks of the mountains, (Rev. 6: 12 – 15)

The final cataclysmic judgments shake the heavens and earth to such an extent that even great leaders and mighty men are hiding, fearful of God`s wrath being poured out.

`and said to the mountains and rocks, “Fall on us and hide us from the face of Him who sits on the throne and from the wrath of the Lamb! For the great day of His wrath has come and who is able to stand?”` (Rev. 6: 16 & 17)

7. The Seventh Seal – Silence in Heaven.

Judgement is completed, Satan is dealt with and Christ is King over all the nations of earth.

`The kingdoms of this world have become the kingdoms of our Lord and of His Christ, and He shall reign forever and ever!`(Rev. 11: 15)

The 7 Seals of the Scroll mark three key points in the tribulation period

Beginning, Middle and End.

This helps us to place all the other details that are to come in chronological order.

Christ Sealing His Priests in Israel. (Rev. 7)

We have just looked at the overview of the tribulation, but before any judgments begin, the Lord Jesus has some important tasks. He sends four angels to hold back the winds of the earth. This would make for a very eerie stillness, a calm before the storm of judgments.

` After these things I saw 4 angels standing at the four corners of the earth, holding the 4 winds of the earth that the wind should not blow on the earth, on the sea, or on any tree. `(Rev. 7: 1)

144,000 Priests of Israel.

Then another angel is given the task of `sealing,` the priests of God in Israel.

`Then I saw another angel ascending from the east having the seal of the living God. And he cried with a loud voice to the four angels to whom it was granted to harm the earth and sea, saying, “Do not harm the earth, the sea, or the trees till we have sealed the servants of our God on their foreheads.”`(Rev. 7: 2 & 3)

These are 12,000 from each of the tribes of Israel, the priests that God said would rule. This was part of God`s covenant with Israel.

`you shall be to Me a kingdom (rule) of priests and a holy nation.` (Ex. 19: 6)

The `sealing,` represents the anointing of the Holy Spirit enabling these people to go forth and tell others of the coming millennium kingdom. This kingdom was promised to Israel, as part of God`s Covenant and what they looked forward to.

Jesus said, `this gospel (good news) of the kingdom (promised to Israel) will be preached in all the world as a witness to all nations, and then the end (of the age) will come.` (Matt. 24: 14)

God has not forgotten His people Israel or cast them aside, but held them in discipline till the time for God`s Covenant purpose for them to be outworked.

`has God cast away His people? Certainly not!.....` (Rom. 11: 1)

God still has His purpose for the Nation of Israel but it has been held in check until God`s appointed time. As we study further in Revelation we will see this great Covenant purpose of God unfold.

`And I heard the number of those who were sealed, 144,000 of all the tribes of the children of Israel were sealed:.......` (Rev. 7: 4 - 8)

Christ Delivering the Great Multitude. (Rev. 7: 9 – 17)

God`s hand of mercy is still stretched out even amid His judgments. We are shown that a great multitude turn to God during the great tribulation. They are from every nation, tribe and tongue. So great a number that it says `no one could number.` How wonderful is God`s great mercy!

The Palm branches are symbolic of the Feast of Tabernacles, indicating that they will go upon the earth and be the `nations of the saved.` (Rev. 21: 24)

`Behold, a great multitude which no man could number of all nations, tribes, peoples, and tongues, standing before the throne & before the Lamb,
clothed with white robes, with palm branches in their hands,`(Rev. 7: 9)

Those in heaven give praise and worship to God and the Lamb upon the throne.

`And crying with a loud voice, saying, “Salvation belongs to our God who sits on the throne and to the Lamb!” And all the angels stood around the throne and the elders and the four living creatures, and fell down on their faces before the throne and worshipped God, saying,” Amen! Blessing and glory and wisdom and thanksgiving and honour and power and might, be to our God forever and ever. Amen.”(Rev. 7: 10 - 12)

We are shown that this great multitude came out of the great tribulation. They turned to God amid the judgments and trusted Him for salvation. They will serve God under His authority, on the new earth. (Rev. 21: 24)

`Then one of the elders answered, saying to me, “Who are these arrayed in white robes, and where did they come from?” And he said to me, “These are the ones who come out of the great tribulation and washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. Therefore they are before the throne of God, and serve Him day and night in His temple. And He who sits on the throne will dwell among them.” (Rev. 7: 13 - 15)

The great multitude have gone through terrible judgments but have cried out to God and repented. So, although they died of hunger, thirst, or heat, God in His great mercy heard their cry and saved them. They are given `white robes,` of righteousness in Christ.

`They shall neither hunger any more nor thirst anymore; the sun shall not strike them, nor any heat; for the Lamb who is in the midst of the throne will shepherd them and lead them to living fountains of waters. And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.` (Rev. 7: 16 & 17)

When the final Great Federation comes to power in the Middle of the tribulation it will demand allegiance to it. Many will follow, thinking this is the way to peace, however many others will not obey but turn to God. Some of these will be martyred.

5. Martyrs – Under the Altar.

`When He opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain for the word of God and for the testimony which they held. And they cried with a loud voice, saying, “How long, O Lord, holy and true, until you judge and avenge our blood on those who dwell on the earth?”

And a white robe was given to each of them; and it was said to them that they should rest a while longer, until both the number of their fellow servants and their brethren who would be killed as they had been, was completed.”``(Rev. 6: 9)

These martyrs are `under the altar,` referring to the ultimate protection of God. Man may kill the body but God protects the soul. They are given a `white robe,` which is righteousness in Christ Jesus, and then they have to wait for all those who would still be martyred.

6. The Great Earthquake – Shaking Heaven & Earth.

`I looked when He opened the sixth seal, and behold, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth made of hair, and the moon became like blood. And the stars of heaven fell to the earth, as a fig tree drops its late figs when it is shaken by a mighty wind. Then the sky receded as a scroll when it is rolled up, and every mountain and island was moved out of its place. And the Kings of the earth, the great men, the rich men, the commanders, the mighty men, every slave and every free man, hid themselves in the caves and in the rocks of the mountains, (Rev. 6: 12 – 15)

The final cataclysmic judgments shake the heavens and earth to such an extent that even great leaders and mighty men are hiding, fearful of God`s wrath being poured out.

`and said to the mountains and rocks, “Fall on us and hide us from the face of Him who sits on the throne and from the wrath of the Lamb! For the great day of His wrath has come and who is able to stand?”` (Rev. 6: 16 & 17)

7. The Seventh Seal – Silence in Heaven.

Judgement is completed, Satan is dealt with and Christ is King over all the nations of earth.

`The kingdoms of this world have become the kingdoms of our Lord and of His Christ, and He shall reign forever and ever!`(Rev. 11: 15)

The 7 Seals of the Scroll mark three key points in the tribulation period

Beginning, Middle and End.

This helps us to place all the other details that are to come in chronological order.
Hi Marilyn, Some great topics going on in this forum, so much to read 😊

When the 7th seal is opened and there is silence in Heaven could this be because Christ is speaking, so all the rest of Heaven is quiet. A scroll should be opened and read, my thoughts are this could be the book of them condemned to the lake of fire and perhaps that is what is being read out. Meanwhile, our names are written in the book of Life, praise God.

Hi Marilyn, Some great topics going on in this forum, so much to read 😊

When the 7th seal is opened and there is silence in Heaven could this be because Christ is speaking, so all the rest of Heaven is quiet. A scroll should be opened and read, my thoughts are this could be the book of them condemned to the lake of fire and perhaps that is what is being read out. Meanwhile, our names are written in the book of Life, praise God.
Hi Mavis,

yes there is so many good topics on this forum. And note, also well moderated.

I so agree that our names are written in the Book of Life. How wonderful.

It could be that the Lord is speaking, as you say, and my thought is that the Lord has left heaven as the 7th seal is the completion, (7 = completion) of the judgments of God in the trib. The Lord leaving heaven and coming with his angel army would be a sobering time. Thus the silence.

The scroll is the judgments for the rebellious during the tribulation, but not the final Great White Throne judgments at the end of the millennium.

Thank you for discussing here. Marilyn.

Back