Romans 5

Romans 5 NKJV Comments in blue

1.Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, >>Verse 1 is making a conclusion based on previous chapters, in essence summing up the thesis for the book of Romans so far. We have peace now with God, being justified- accepted, approved and qualified. What does not having peace with God mean? A quarrel? We can see in the Middle East what not having peace is like, even within just Islam itself. The news describes it as unrest, fighting, opposition, clashes, etc. Now even politics in America and elsewhere are following this type of chaotic behavior.

2.through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. >>Access to God's grace through Christ by this faith, the Spirit stressing how important faith is by referencing it so many times. We need to take note of it. And back to hope again, faith and hope seem tied together. Faith makes hope real.

3.And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; >> What other philosophy says to be encouraged by tribulations or trouble. Those who understand refining know how going through X can produce Y. Jesus uses many comparisons in His parables. One of the best is the seed and how it must die in the ground to become the plant it is intended to be. Oh, to know ahead of time what each of us are intended to be! Would it be easier to let go and become that?

4.and perseverance, character; and character, hope. >>If you have tribulations, then you must persevere. By persevering you build character. Character leads to hope for the future. But all of this is hinged on faith.

5.Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us. >>What does this mean, hope doesn't disappoint? The Holy Spirit pours out the love of God into our being making hope assured, so it cannot disappoint. Really this hope is more of a promise which is unspoken. This is maybe the best way to know if someone has the Spirit in them; that they have the love of God oozing from them.

6.For when we were still without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. >>Here we have evidence of the hope of Christ. This was promised and the hope was realized when He died for us. Without strength? What is this? This seems to be a lack of strength to save ourselves. Or maybe to battle the enemy. Thoughts?

7.For scarcely for a righteous man will one die; yet perhaps for a good man someone would even dare to die. >> Would you lay down your life for even a good man? Who would you take a bullet for?

8.But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. >>We were not good yet Christ still died for us. The love of God wanted us to be justified so we would live with Him.

9.Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him. >>This explains how we now have peace with God. Faith connects us to justification by His blood, the antidote for sin, and allows us to stand in the grace of God, i.e. salvation. Now we have no worry to have to endure the wrath of God upon sin. Many quote this verse to explain why we, the saved, will not go through the Tribulation.

10.For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life. >>Because of sin, we are enemies of God. We fight against Him. But now we are allowed to join His side of the battle. His death gives our sin death. His life gives us life, not to mention freedom from sin.

11.And not only that, but we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received the reconciliation. >> We have received it, so then rejoice in it.

12.Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned; >> This talks like sin is a disease. Death is directly linked to sin. Those who are a part of groups or movements which use death as a virtue or a way of taking out the other side in suicide pacts are directly tied to sin and its curse. If you don't respect life then death and sin is what you will be left with.

13.(For until the law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is no law.) >> There was a time when there was no law, but there were still consequences to sinning. The law wasn't there yet to show us what sin was. You would not be labled a "law breaker", yet wrong is still wrong.

14.Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those who had not sinned according to the likeness of the transgression of Adam, who is a type of Him who was to come. >> Even if you had not sinned a bad sin, so to speak, you still died. Because of one person's actions, i.e. sin, death would affect all people because sin would be in them, too. Adam is a type of Christ who was to come. Why? How? Well, from Adam sprung forth all humankind, life in a way came from him. One could look at him as a son of God since God directly created him. Also, dominion of the earth was given to him. And Adam was God's "first".

15.But the free gift is not like the offense. For if by the one man's offense many died, much more the grace of God and the gift by the grace of the one Man, Jesus Christ, abounded to many. >>Sin is an infection to be gotten rid of. But the gift abounds. It is the promise of newness.

16.And the gift is not like that which came through the one who sinned. For the judgment which came from one offense resulted in condemnation, but the free gift which came from many offenses resulted in justification. >>Do you want to be condemned and punished, or do you want a free gift? The choices are a stark difference. From the one who offended came many offenses, but from the many offenses came the one free gift. This may confuse a few. The gift didn't come from the offenses. The gift is from God's grace. This is saying the gift was needed because of the offenses. And it is making the point that from one, many, and from many, one.

17.For if by the one man's offense death reigned through the one, much more those who receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ.) >>Again, stating the importance of the difference of how great the gift is bringing life to all who will receive it. The power of God through Jesus is immense.

18.Therefore, as through one man's offense judgment came to all men, resulting in condemnation, even so through one Man's righteous act the free gift came to all men, resulting in justification of life. >>Drawing the parallels of one man's offense causing condemnation, a sentencing of punishment; to one man's righteous act of obedience caused justification for life. "Life" here could be viewed as freedom also.

19.For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so also by one Man's obedience many will be made righteous. >>Showing the results of disobedience and contrasting to obedience.

20.Moreover the law entered that the offense might abound. But where sin abounded, grace abounded much more, >>The law needed to be given to show the need for salvation and the need to be changed. Just think if the law were never given! How then would we be convicted of sin and how would we ever receive mercy through grace? We would be forever isolated from God, so God in His wisdom put forth the law to make His grace a necessity.

21.so that as sin reigned in death, even so grace might reign through righteousness to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. >>So, through Adam, sin reigns producing death. Through Jesus, grace reigns producing life. Serving sin as the ruler makes you in bondage to it because sin is self-serving. Serving grace as the ruler makes you free because grace needs nothing to be what it is. Grace sees to the needs of others, it focuses away from self.

6.For when we were still without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. >>Here we have evidence of the hope of Christ. This was promised and the hope was realized when He died for us. Without strength? What is this? This seems to be a lack of strength to save ourselves. Or maybe to battle the enemy. Thoughts?
Hello Big Moose;

My thoughts are before Christ died we were weak unto self without our Savior. Christ's death empowered us (strengthened us) to save us. Not just in salvation but in all things in our lives. Thank you for the Cross!

Hello Big Moose;

My thoughts are before Christ died we were weak unto self without our Savior. Christ's death empowered us (strengthened us) to save us. Not just in salvation but in all things in our lives. Thank you for the Cross!
Here is a question. What do you do if you are not feeling that power or assurance? Like in verse 3, how do we glory in our tribulations?

Here is a question. What do you do if you are not feeling that power or assurance? Like in verse 3, how do we glory in our tribulations?

Hello Big Moose;

Right now there are challenges in my life that weary me, lacking that power or reassurance (weakness,) James 1 is always branded upon my heart uplifting and filling me with His wisdom;

"Lord, I have no control over this circumstance but am grateful you are with me to process and learn as you get me through it." Patience is KEY.

This enables me to share my story with others and encouraging me to give glory to God in my tribulations, again, as He is always with me.

God bless you, Big Moose, and your family.

Back