Ruth 4:3-4

Ruth 4:3-4 King James Version (KJV)
3 And he said unto the kinsman, Naomi, that is come again out of the country of Moab, selleth a parcel of land, which was our brother Elimelech's:

4 And I thought to advertise thee, saying, Buy it before the inhabitants, and before the elders of my people. If thou wilt redeem it, redeem it: but if thou wilt not redeem it, then tell me, that I may know: for there is none to redeem it beside thee; and I am after thee. And he said, I will redeem it.

Ruth 4:3-4 The Voice (VOICE)

Boaz (to the kinsman-redeemer): 3 You have heard of Naomi? She is the woman who recently returned from Moab. She is transferring her rights to the plot of land belonging to her deceased husband—our relative—Elimelech. 4 I wanted you to know about it because as a close family member, you have the first right to purchase it. If you want to do so, we have enough elders sitting here to witness the transaction. If you want to become the guardian and redeem this land, it is yours. But if you are not interested in doing this, tell me now. The right belongs to you, but if you refuse it, I am next in line.

Kinsman-Redeemer: Of course, I exercise my option to redeem this land.

The Voice (VOICE) The Voice Bible Copyright © 2012 Thomas Nelson, Inc. The Voice™ translation © 2012 Ecclesia Bible Society All rights reserved.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

3 So he is speaking to the next of kin, being next kin duty often was based on the property gained rather then the marriage although the purpose of it was for them to gain land to take care of the widow. Legally because he had not yet did his duty as next of kin she was selling the land because she had to for survival.

4 So the property is being sold he has first rights to it as next of kin Boaz is taking care of everything that is the next of kin duty he is giving up the land that went along with marrying Ruth to take away that being the reason he marries her, the only now he would have to marry her would be he wanted Ruth as a wife which this would allow her to be loved.

Back