Seed Swap!

AtomicSnowflake

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Secretary
I participated in my first ever seed swap... it's been super awesome! Looks like I'll be busy for a while. I hope to start winter-sowing them soon. Then I'm going to be very busy preparing places to plant them all! Thought you guys might like a pic or two.
Have any of you done seed swapping before? I know there are many local swaps, but I have not been in any of those yet. This one was via mail.

1612549367785.png 1612549637451.png

1612549780906.png 1612550146943.png

I participated in my first ever seed swap... it's been super awesome! Looks like I'll be busy for a while. I hope to start winter-sowing them soon. Then I'm going to be very busy preparing places to plant them all! Thought you guys might like a pic or two.
Have any of you done seed swapping before? I know there are many local swaps, but I have not been in any of those yet. This one was via mail.

View attachment 5285 View attachment 5286

View attachment 5287 View attachment 5289
We had a huge garden when we had our farm in TN but we used local co-op seed, heritage, etc. I am not familiar with a swap though.

A seed swap is something I've heard of but never tried. We collect many different seeds from our flowers and garden. A swap might work out very well. How did you find your seed swap contact?

Do you have a lot of seed that you can plant in the winter? Most of what I've got I'll need to wait until after the last frost is over.

cp

Hey AtomicSnowflake;

This is very impressive, what a collection! Be blessed and have fun!

How did you find your seed swap contact?

A facebook group that I'm in... there are many groups, but not all are good. With this one we posted our swaps in the group... then mailed everything to a "host", who sorted, re-packaged, and shipped the trades back out. All it cost was postage there, and postage back.

Do you have a lot of seed that you can plant in the winter? Most of what I've got I'll need to wait until after the last frost is over.

Do a search for "winter sowing". You plant in milk jugs, put them out in the cold, and simply wait. The seeds wont grow until the perfect time... then by the time they get too big for the jug, it's warm enough to plant them!
but I assume it’s just in your country you swap with as in the U.K. we aren’t allowed to bring any seeds that are not from this

Yes... but I'm sure there are some there also :)

We lived in near Watts bar... fished the lake and camped alot. Got alot of huge catfish, & camp out on an island for sometimes a week at a time... had a blast. The gardening was good too :)
We owned a big nice house with 17 acres, in La Follette, along with a rental house and a huge I-beam barn. We had it all from a subjective viewpoint but we weren't happy at all. Our boys got lazy and didn't want to work with the horses or milk the cow or anything. Me and Tracy couldn't do it all so we sold it. I miss it sometimes but also am glad we don't have all that headache anymore. I am not telling this to brag but just to say that when you drive by a dream house the owners may actually want rid of it and miserable. Jesus is happiness.

Wow what group was this? Must be quite a few members.
I haven't participated in one before, but some of the gardeners have been notified of something happening for Neighbours Day. I don't know how it all works. I'd love to get all different kinds of seeds.
I only have swan plant seeds at the moment to swap. My pumpkin seeds never germinated.

Wow what group was this? Must be quite a few members.

It's a facebook group that I'm in... there were 128 people who participated. I made approx. 80 trades for this swap! This swap is U.S. only, but I have seen some that will do international trades... but I have no idea what the restrictions are. I know that many countries don't allow it.

They was this one was organized, was that all exchanges took place through a "host".
We made lists of seeds we had, and seeds we wanted.
The swap had a start and end date.
Post your lists at the start... then everyone just checks over each others lists and you message back & forth to work out your swap with each person you wish to make a trade with..-- and keep a detailed list of each trade you agree to.
Then after the swap end date, you package up all of your seeds that you are trading, and everyone mails their seed packages to the same person, the host. (Including a prepaid shipping label for the return package/postage.)
The host will then open each package, and sort out who gets what as per the trade lists, and then mail the finished and sorted packages back out.

This way no one is revealing their home address to anyone except the host. And you only pay to shipping for one package to go out, and one package to come to you.

There are many sites that do seed exchanges. Some are much better than others. You would just need to sort through a few of them and find one that sounds good.

Hello, Atomic;

I had a thought. If you have any extra packages of seeds you might add a track to it when you witness to people.

Several people do include verses, cards, stickers, and other trinkets. This particular swap group is actually made up of many people who freely ask for prayer and pray for one another already :) That makes it even better!

-----
Oh, I think I get what you're saying now... you don't just mean the swap group... but other people?? Like people we meet in person and talk to... maybe include seeds with the tract or other literature/Bible, fruit basket, or whatever..?

Several people do include verses, cards, stickers, and other trinkets. This particular swap group is actually made up of many people who freely ask for prayer and pray for one another already :) That makes it even better!

-----
Oh, I think I get what you're saying now... you don't just mean the swap group... but other people?? Like people we meet in person and talk to... maybe include seeds with the tract or other literature/Bible, fruit basket, or whatever..?

Yes, Atomic;

The seeds and a tract - "planting seeds" and sharing the gospel out in the community.

We pass out tracts with a tootsie-roll pop. It's neat to see the people reading the tract while enjoying their tootsie-roll pop.

Just a thought. 😎

Back