self-centredness and the cure

Something I've observed.
We all have personal feelings about things. And thats ok we are all individuals and have our own point of view.
But here is something that few people realise, you cant MAKE someone do something they don't really want to do, or do things and expect EVERYONE else to see it your way.

But what usually happens is the person with the LOUDEST voice just shouts down everyone else, does their thing, and expects everyone else to follow along. They might accuse everyone else of being selfish and self-centred, when actually, they are being selfish in themselves expecting everyone else to see things their way. (Cos their way, is naturally....the right way? uh really? )

But...what about God? Maybe at times He does see people as different and wants one person to go one way, and another to go in an opposite direction. Why would He do that? Instead of them going together? Well, I can think of several reasons.

1. He might want you both to spread the gospel even further in BOTH directions. That way you can cover more ground
2. He might want one to start and the other to come in a bit later
3. He might want to grow you or give you skills that complement the other person so its more a give and take rather than one person bossing the other around.
4. He might be testing your heart to see really how faithful you will be to Him, even if NOBODY else follows you.

So, in conclusion what is the cure?

Hi Lanolin;

Thank you for posting self-centredness and the cure and I'm looking forward to reading different views here.

One thing that stuck out with me is the one who shouts the loudest expecting everyone else to see things their way and follow along. I feel this justifies that individual's motives and hidden self-centeredness of their personal agenda or selfishness.

We just had a Bible study last night about those times we don't want to pray, read the Bible and spend time with God.

One of the biggest reasons most of the Bible study suggested is because we don’t want to hear from God because it takes away from our personal time (self-centredness.)

If we need something, we'll make time for it. But when we feel that praying or the Bible is cutting into our personal (self-centred) schedules, we tend to resist it.

Self-centredness is spiritual warfare, will it be God, or myself? The CURE to me is this. When we don't want to let go of our self-centredness when it comes to prayer and Bible time with God, yet we still make the time for Him, this is our sacrifice and fight to spiritual warfare.

God will see our hearts, work and strengthened us to make it more about Him.

God bless you, Lanolin, and your family.

if there's a cure needed...it's agreement i believe....agreement between people that ...
(yes...this is what God wants us to accomplish...and this is how)...
then...all is calm and orderly

The cure? Crucifixion to self.

I had to look up what you said because I don’t really know what it really means, except that it will be some kind of heaven.

But when you say “ crucifixion to self” do you mean crucify the flesh?

Also I have read some new age stuff talk about dying to self.

Is this the same thing you mean?
Thanks

I had to look up what you said because I don’t really know what it really means, except that it will be some kind of heaven.

Thanks
More like something God does to us taking us through trials…thus we die to self, learning to trust Him rather than our own strength/self.
Nope, no new agey stuff here.

I have made a reading list of buddy books for my school library. These are titles children can read together and they are about friendships.

So I have:

Frog and Toad
Elephant and Piggie
Ivy and Bean
Ella and Olivia
Rabbit and Bear
Snail and Whale
Thomas and Friends
Dogman and Catkid

etc.

Something I've observed.
We all have personal feelings about things. And thats ok we are all individuals and have our own point of view.
But here is something that few people realise, you cant MAKE someone do something they don't really want to do, or do things and expect EVERYONE else to see it your way.

But what usually happens is the person with the LOUDEST voice just shouts down everyone else, does their thing, and expects everyone else to follow along. They might accuse everyone else of being selfish and self-centred, when actually, they are being selfish in themselves expecting everyone else to see things their way. (Cos their way, is naturally....the right way? uh really? )

But...what about God? Maybe at times He does see people as different and wants one person to go one way, and another to go in an opposite direction. Why would He do that? Instead of them going together? Well, I can think of several reasons.

1. He might want you both to spread the gospel even further in BOTH directions. That way you can cover more ground
2. He might want one to start and the other to come in a bit later
3. He might want to grow you or give you skills that complement the other person so its more a give and take rather than one person bossing the other around.
4. He might be testing your heart to see really how faithful you will be to Him, even if NOBODY else follows you.

So, in conclusion what is the cure?
For those who think they can bluster and bully others into adopting their viewpoint, I'll paraphrase Alexander Pope--one who is convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Thanks

Crucify = Death!

The concept of crucifying the flesh comes from the apostle Paul’s words in Gal. 5>24......
“Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.”

In this verse, it’s clear that crucifying the flesh is not something done to the believer, but by the believer:.....
“Those who belong to Christ have crucified the flesh.”

Sin entrenches itself in the flesh, which becomes dominated by iniquity of all kinds. It is the sinful passions and wayward deeds of the flesh that Christians must crucify or put to death or in modern country boy English......STOP doing that sin that destroys your testimony for Christ!

Back