Sell your clothe and buy a sword.

Luke 22:36 (NLT) “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!

To these end time days, what does this verse means?

Which sword was Jesus Christ referring to?

Luke 22:36 (KJV)
Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. 37 For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end.

Sword: in context, it is a physical weapon. The followers were to be going about with money and needed prudent personal protection.

As far as 'and times', to make sure I wasn't missing somrthing crucial, I looked in several translations along with an interlinear and it is clear to me (maybe not to other brothers) that Jesus is saying that he is comming to the end of He was fortold to accomplish in his 1st coming. (not specifically intended to relate to his 2nd coming and THE END TIMES in that sense).

Luke 22:36 (NLT) “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one! To these end time days, what does this verse means? Which sword was Jesus Christ referring to?

Hello Pastor Mayende;

That was an excellent question, one we can all learn what Jesus was referring to.

God bless you, Pastor.

Hello Pastor Mayende;

That was an excellent question, one we can all learn what Jesus was referring to.

God bless you, Pastor.
According to Jesus's statement, was He referring to something physical or spiritual?

What are the differences or similarities between cloak and sword in teams of physical or spiritual things?

We need to read all of the conversation, Jesus said it was so that scripture would be fulfilled (referring to Isaiah 53:12...Therefore will I divide Him a portion with the great, and He shall divide the spoil with the strong, because He hath poured out His soul unto death. And He was numbered with the transgressors; and He bore the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.) He asks the disciples if they lacked anything when He sent them out with nothing. They answered "No." He was showing them that God would provide for all their needs. Notice also that they already had 2 swords, perhaps indicating that some of them may not yet have fully understood HIM. For people to walk around with swords, usually suggested they were up to no good and thus lawless. It was all about fulfilling the written word of God.

Only Peter, the night Jesus was arrested. After Peter had cut off the ear of Malchus, Jesus told him to put down his sword. This shows that Jesus did not want them to use the swords.
Yes, you have mentioned it Jesus did not want them to use the swords but He Himself told them to buy the swords, what was He meaning?

Yes, you have mentioned it Jesus did not want them to use the swords but He Himself told them to buy the swords, what was He meaning?
Jesus also said...

John 18:36
Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, then My servants would be fighting so that I would not be delivered over to the Jews; but as it is, My kingdom is not from here.”

Paul follows up...

2 Corinthians 10:4 KJV
(For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)

Luke 22:36 (NLT) “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!

To these end time days, what does this verse means?

Which sword was Jesus Christ referring to?
That literal instruction was given to allow the apostles to defend themselves against wild animals they might encounter during their journeys through wilderness areas while spreading the Gospel.

That instruction has no place in the modern world because travel conditions are much safer today.

As for wondering where or why the followers of Jesus would be carrying a sword Not all who followed Jesus were disciples. consider the centurion mentioned in Mattew 8:5-13. I don’t know if he in particular was traveling with Jesus, but is it likely that among those who were would be other members of the Roman occupation.

So, it remains to be discerned, why in these instructions so near the end of his ministry on Earth did our Lord say to carry a sword?

In my unschooled opinion, this was a warning, not necessarily concerned with the swords themselves, but a warning in the vein of John 15:18.

While part of what the roman occupiers were doing there was to keep civil order, they did that as occupiers and could not be counted on to always protect the people, including those who Jesus was preparing to go into all the world to preach. Roman law and order was problematic at best, and brutal when challenged.

It would be prudent to avoid being reliant on those with loyalties that may be in conflict with the travelers.

In another thought, it is interesting to look at when and who and how provisioned the Lord sent his followers out. Consider why our Lord may have made these choices, and what were the results.

As for wondering where or why the followers of Jesus would be carrying a sword Not all who followed Jesus were disciples. consider the centurion mentioned in Mattew 8:5-13. I don’t know if he in particular was traveling with Jesus, but is it likely that among those who were would be other members of the Roman occupation.

So, it remains to be discerned, why in these instructions so near the end of his ministry on Earth did our Lord say to carry a sword?

In my unschooled opinion, this was a warning, not necessarily concerned with the swords themselves, but a warning in the vein of John 15:18.

While part of what the roman occupiers were doing there was to keep civil order, they did that as occupiers and could not be counted on to always protect the people, including those who Jesus was preparing to go into all the world to preach. Roman law and order was problematic at best, and brutal when challenged.

It would be prudent to avoid being reliant on those with loyalties that may be in conflict with the travelers.

In another thought, it is interesting to look at when and who and how provisioned the Lord sent his followers out. Consider why our Lord may have made these choices, and what were the results.

Good morning, Siloam;

This is an excellent post. It gives us other areas to consider and that's what is so wonderful about God's Word.

One passage could be read in a matter of minutes with no further thought. I never thought much about the sword until Pastor Mayende brought it up. Since these are Jesus' teaching there is a reason for understanding the sword and it's background.

God bless
you all, brothers and sisters.

Back