Seven Spirits of Revelation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indentured Servant

Account Closed
John's introduction in Revelation opens with a greeting. He specifically tells us from who he is forwarding this greeting: 1. "Him who is, and who was, and who is to come," 2. "The seven Spirits before his throne," and 3. " Jesus Christ."

In John's vision of God's throne, he saw seven stars and seven lampstands. Jesus revealed the seven stars as messengers to the seven assemblies. The seven lampstands are the assemblies. (ch 4:5)

The beginning of the seven letters identifies Jesus as the "who holds the seven stars in his right hand and walks among the seven golden lampstands."

In the fifth chapter, verse 6, the seven Spirits are said to be the seven eyes seen on the slaughtered lamb. They are described as being "sent out into all the earth."

Another place in scripture that describes the seven eyes that have been sent "throughout the earth" is in Zechariah's prophecy. They seven eyes, (spirits), appear on a stone upon which an inscription by God will "remove the sin of the land."

I have no question, nor a statement, to make with these verses. I am interested in everyone's reaction to these passages of Scripture without any preconceived notion as to what they mean...

John's introduction in Revelation opens with a greeting. He specifically tells us from who he is forwarding this greeting: 1. "Him who is, and who was, and who is to come," 2. "The seven Spirits before his throne," and 3. " Jesus Christ."

In John's vision of God's throne, he saw seven stars and seven lampstands. Jesus revealed the seven stars as messengers to the seven assemblies. The seven lampstands are the assemblies. (ch 4:5)

The beginning of the seven letters identifies Jesus as the "who holds the seven stars in his right hand and walks among the seven golden lampstands."

In the fifth chapter, verse 6, the seven Spirits are said to be the seven eyes seen on the slaughtered lamb. They are described as being "sent out into all the earth."

Another place in scripture that describes the seven eyes that have been sent "throughout the earth" is in Zechariah's prophecy. They seven eyes, (spirits), appear on a stone upon which an inscription by God will "remove the sin of the land."

I have no question, nor a statement, to make with these verses. I am interested in everyone's reaction to these passages of Scripture without any preconceived notion as to what they mean...
"This is why I speak to them in parables: 'Though seeing, they do not see; though hearing, they do not hear or understand.' " Matthew 13:13

"Seven" in Bible numbers = Completeness.

John writes in Apoctoleptic language without knowing what it is that he sees in his vision.

"Seven" in Bible numbers = Completeness.

John writes in Apoctoleptic language without knowing what it is that he sees in his vision.
Do you have any thoughts about why John's introduction is said to be from the Father, the son, and the 'seven' spirits... if "7" is symbolic?

How does the idea of completeness fit into that specific statement?

Typically, when we read "the Father, the Son, and," it's followed by "Holy Spirit." Why, in this case, is it symbolic?

Do you have any thoughts about why John's introduction is said to be from the Father, the son, and the 'seven' spirits... if "7" is symbolic?

How does the idea of completeness fit into that specific statement?

Typically, when we read "the Father, the Son, and," it's followed by "Holy Spirit." Why, in this case, is it symbolic?
Thank you for asking. I will be glad to try and tell you what i Think.

Personally I believe this to be a unique reference to the Holy Spirit. As I stated, the number seven—a literal number often representing perfection/completeness in the Bible—describes the Holy Spirit as perfect.

IMHO, the reference to Jesus Christ seems to suggest that John is describing the entire Trinity, in turn which indicates that the Godhead is in view and in agreement.

John describes the seven spirits as being before God's throne.

If you will recall, the prophet Isaiah once depicted God as seated upon a throne in a highly troublesome time in Isaiah 6:1.

Judah's long-reigning king had died and the nation was at a very low point spiritually and morally. Also, enemy nations were pointing their swords at Judah. However, unsettled times cannot topple or shake God's throne. He is all-powerful, sovereign, and eternal. Believers can trust Him, and experience His peace, at all times.

If you are interested, I posted a systematic, verse by verse study on the Revelation on this forum site. Just search "Revelation" by Major.

Thank you for asking. I will be glad to try and tell you what i Think.

Personally I believe this to be a unique reference to the Holy Spirit. As I stated, the number seven—a literal number often representing perfection/completeness in the Bible—describes the Holy Spirit as perfect.

IMHO, the reference to Jesus Christ seems to suggest that John is describing the entire Trinity, in turn which indicates that the Godhead is in view and in agreement.

John describes the seven spirits as being before God's throne.

If you will recall, the prophet Isaiah once depicted God as seated upon a throne in a highly troublesome time in Isaiah 6:1.

Judah's long-reigning king had died and the nation was at a very low point spiritually and morally. Also, enemy nations were pointing their swords at Judah. However, unsettled times cannot topple or shake God's throne. He is all-powerful, sovereign, and eternal. Believers can trust Him, and experience His peace, at all times.

If you are interested, I posted a systematic, verse by verse study on the Revelation on this forum site. Just search "Revelation" by Major.
The "seven" is the Holy Spirit. I have no doubt this is the same "us" from the first chapter of Genesis. Scripture identifies seven Spirits of God in Old and New Testaments. I find no reason to view the "seven" as symbolic when referring to the Spirit. I don't specifically subscribe to the "trinity doctrine," as it separates God from Himself and presents Him as individual beings.

I do sincerely appreciate the invitation to peruse your study on Revelation.

The "seven" is the Holy Spirit. I have no doubt this is the same "us" from the first chapter of Genesis. Scripture identifies seven Spirits of God in Old and New Testaments. I find no reason to view the "seven" as symbolic when referring to the Spirit. I don't specifically subscribe to the "trinity doctrine," as it separates God from Himself and presents Him as individual beings.

I do sincerely appreciate the invitation to peruse your study on Revelation.
I have to disagree.

The "US" in Genesis is IMHO the Trinity. Because God is Father, Son, and Spirit yesterday, today, and forever, the holy Trinity is present on every page of holy Scripture, including Genesis 1.

May I say to you that Genesis 1 repeatedly identifies God by the plural noun “Elohim.” Bible scholars have taken this plural noun as an indication of God’s tripersonal fullness or completeness indicated by the number of SEVEN throughout the Scriptures.

The Bible number of SEVEN is not IMO a reference tot he Holy Sprit but instead of the Godhead itself.

The Trinity is an essential to the Christian faith.

I have to disagree.

The "US" in Genesis is IMHO the Trinity. Because God is Father, Son, and Spirit yesterday, today, and forever, the holy Trinity is present on every page of holy Scripture, including Genesis 1.

May I say to you that Genesis 1 repeatedly identifies God by the plural noun “Elohim.” Bible scholars have taken this plural noun as an indication of God’s tripersonal fullness or completeness indicated by the number of SEVEN throughout the Scriptures.

The Bible number of SEVEN is not IMO a reference tot he Holy Sprit but instead of the Godhead itself.

The Trinity is an essential to the Christian faith.
I too, must disagree.
Seven is not a symbol... It is a revelation of the manifestation of the Holy Spirit of God.

As well, the trinity is not essential to the Christian faith. It is, at best, man's attempt to explain that which he cannot understand.

The primary weakness in this man-made doctrine is the unscriptural mandate that He is three separate individuals. This is not in scripture.

Scripture repeatedly insists He is One, "The Father and I are One," even thought is literally written in scripture and spoken by our Lord, it still violates the trinity doctrine which denied the son is the Father. "If you've seen me, you've seen the Father." (Again, His words, no doctrine to muddy up what He meant.

Scripture never speaks of Him as being three personalities. The Spirit, however, is said to have seven distinct spirits in both old and new Testaments. The trinity doctrine forces us to reframe the literal meaning of scripture and label everything that doesn't fit that narrative as "symbolic."

I personally see the trinity doctrine as a stumbling block that does not allow us to know and understand the image of God, which, (based on specific scripture), is not "3-in-1," but actually "9-in-1..." if one would use the same polytheistic logic that is used to justify the trinity.

Keep in mind, the scripture speaks on this throughout. YHWH is said to be the only: Rock, Savior, Shepherd... These don't reveal trinity, but openly state there is One Personality known as God.

I don't specifically subscribe to the "trinity doctrine," as it separates God from Himself and presents Him as individual beings.
everyone is entitled to how they believe and i can respect yours.. however the trinity takes nothing away from God if anything it helps magnify him.. God the Father God the son God teh Holy Ghost the 3 area separate but combine as one. i compare it as a egg the shell ,the main protection which god is at work.. the Egg white we can use it as the Holy Spirit then the yoke --Christ. i have heard it said that is 3 gods they all 3 work together we agree upon God as our FATHER Jesus as the son the Savior who payed the price on the cross the Holy spirit the comforter as one who walks beside . i dont agree with the apostolic teaching.. the word trinity shouldn't separate Christians and i do agree with major Trinity is an essential to the Christian faith. there are 3 and we agree God Jesus Holy Spirit

A Reminder from the CFS Staff -

In order to become a member at this Forum, our " Statement of Faith " MUST be agreed to.

This includes the second stipulation from the list:

2) There is only one God who reveals Himself as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

If any member registers at CFS falsely under Rule 4, that person is subject to termination.

Therefore, this thread is being halted at this point and the member who started this thread is now under investigation.

`

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back