Sharing Early Christian Songs

bobinfaith

Helper
Staff member
Helper
I enjoy listening and praising Jesus during my music devotion time, while driving, or sitting here at my desk writing this thread. I am amazed at the wide variety of Christian music in today's times and was reflecting on a few early praise and worship songs when I was younger in my faith.

In 1968 I started playing guitar at 11 years old. I first heard Oh Happy Day on the radio. The part that blessed me was the lyric, "When Jesus Walked". Back then we listened to alot of AM radio and listened to vinyl record albums on a turntable. That was the technology back then. lol

Oh Happy Day - 1968

I played guitar on the worship team at Sunday service and was asked to sing Wedding Song for a wedding. I have to admit I was nervous but did ok.

Wedding Song (There Is Love) 1969

In 1970 the Jesus Movement was growing and brought many to Christ Jesus. It was like the hippies from the 60s went from "partying" and rock in roll, to praising Jesus and getting baptized, but still wearing the same hippie clothes with tie dye shirts and Granny shades. While in high school Youth groups like Teen Challenge and Campus Crusade were growing and remember attending an evening Youth Christian rally and during the praise set the Song Jesus Christ Superstar was played. The reaction of 2000 teenagers in attendance was intense! Wow!

Jesus Christ Superstar 1973

The musical production of Godspell was huge in the 70s and captured the mood of many young Christians, including myself. It was a time when many unreached were coming to Christ. Day By Day was one of the key songs and am posting the 1973 original and 2011 reproduction.

Day By Day Godspell 1973

Day By Day Godspell 2011

Please take a listen and I hope these songs will bless you as they have me.

God bless you all and your families.