She shall be saved in child bearing

1st Timothy 2:15
This occurred to me yesterday - that the way I have always thought of this verse is quite backwards....

I don't know about you guys - but reading this - it always seemed patriarchal... Oh.. The woman needs to have kids so that she can be saved.... But, that doesn't make any sense - because we are saved by Faith... So I don't think that's what Paul was really getting at....

So... Here goes...

Something I have observed in my wife since we have had kids - and something I have observed in God fearing women once they have kids.... When they really allow the experience of what is going on - and think about the greater context of God's relationship with ourselves... that it gives them a greater understanding/appreciation of God.... It opens a window towards themselves and their own relationship with God that didn't exist before....

Almost all of us - coming out of childhood - are extrordinarily narcissistic, self-seeking, non-forward looking, uncaring, interested in revelry/fun/drunkenness/drug use/sexual mischief.... Both men and women....

It's interesting to observe that raising children turns so many women from self-seeking, revelry, and superiority complexes... I am specifically talking here of God-fearing Christian women who HEAR God and take the lessons to heart... We don't necessarily observe child rearing have the same effect in Men...

Being forced to "Die to self" so to speak in the process of raising the kids.. Continuing in Faith, love, sanctification... This opens the hearts and minds to be able to receive understanding of the greater truths of Christ that we read - but don't really sink in.. You can't really understand them on a personal level without FEELING the agony... Feeling the hurt... Feeling the frustration... Feeling the love for YOURSELF... Dying to self in obedience to God when we don't particularly want to be obedient.. Loving those who make us angry.. Loving through pain and frustration... Going the extra mile for the ungrateful... Providing for others out of our own lack.. Healing pain with a touch and a kiss.... Learning how deep real true love really goes and many others...

It's critical to not just think that raising children is solely a series of tasks that finally yields and adult and a considerable increase in pocket money ;) ... That external focus misses so much of God's true impact on your own heart....

Just as critical for your own sanity and growth is the introspection... Understanding the greater truth that God BEARS us as we bear our own children... Seeing that WE do all the same things to God as that child does to you.... That just as a 4 year old child can exasperate you - We exasperate God some times through the same behavior.... That just as you know that a 3 year old may say things both good and bad - you can't really trust them... They don't understand the repercussions of their actions... Or the 15 year "Know it all" professing all great truths in reality is just being blown about by the winds of error... Just as that kid has NO IDEA all the things that we are taking care of "Behind the scenes" - so are We to God... WE do the same... The results are the SAME in our own lives..

So... Are you willing to look inside your own heart? Willing to look at God and say "Am I doing this?" To step back in the moment of self reflection and express "This hurts a lot, how do I keep from doing the same thing to YOU and others who I love?" ... To come to God in Repentance when He brings it to your remembrance - and it floods you... and THIS is the kind of "Being saved" that Paul is talking about.... Crying out to God for Deliverance from ourselves and our own sinful nature..... Reacting to the "Pricks" of the Holy Spirit as He softens the Callouses built in a jaded, self absorbed world... Shining the light into areas of our lives where we don't let it shine... RECEIVING God's comfort and encouragement that he hears us and will guide us through...

Thanks

I like that thank you! Even IF this isn't exactly what Paul is teaching here(I don't know), It is still an excellent observation and realization.

Back