Should an Altar Call be Mandatory After Every Preaching?

I had a professor and pastor from India visit Burma last year for a week. He is an Indian-American who actually resides in the U.S. I was glad that he could visit our country. As it was his first time in Burma, I arranged all the programs for where he would preach or visit.

The first place I took him was to some families who were homeless and were our believers. Since he is a foreigner, some neighbors came to see him. He is taller than us, so he couldn’t stand in the small house, and he preached while sitting. There were around 20 people, and after his preaching, he did an altar call. I took him again to another church where both unbelievers and believers were present. He did another altar call after preaching. I also took him to a friend of a missionary, to a home-based church, and invited Buddhist and Muslim believers to listen. He did an altar call there too. On Sunday morning before he left Burma, he preached at our church and did an altar call after preaching.

After he returned, one of my professors, a pastor and Apologetics professor from India, who resides in India, asked me, “Did the pastor visit you?” I told him yes, and we had a conversation about how we do things here, eventually coming to the point of altar calls. The pastor said, “I believe altar calls are good, but our preachers here often forget to do that. A preacher from abroad, especially an American or European, usually does it, but we have to understand the context. There is a difference between their preaching and our preaching! They preach based on the Bible, but we preach based on the Bible while knowing our context and using our illustrations. For example, we know our youth and their problems, and we know about how Myanmar/Northeast India people live, including their food and clothing etc..”

Back in 2010, when I was in Bible school and before I knew how to speak English, foreigners from America came to our school, taught us English, and preached to us in the chapel. Every time after preaching, they did an altar call.

Recently, I asked an old classmate from Bible school, who married a Filipino lady and now resides in the Philippines, whether altar calls are practiced there. He said, “We only do them during special events such as conferences, Bible camps, Bible study classes, or special occasions. The pastor here doesn’t do after every preaching.” I was once in India, and I didn’t see Indian preachers do altar calls.

The story is, when the pastor visited us, he did an altar call after every preaching. After his preaching on Sunday, our members from his first visit, the homeless believers, attended our service. Some had already responded to the altar call during his first preaching (They promised him that after his preaching they understood the Saving of Christ or accept Christ). Our church is a small congregation, and we usually conduct a salvation camp at least once or twice a year, where all members must attend the salvation teaching class, which takes 3-5 days. We know our members well, and all have confirmed that they have received Christ. But when the preacher asked for an altar call, it was a silent moment for a few minutes. When there was no response, the congregation thought the preacher might feel bad or think his preaching was not effective. Or the preacher might be upset with us since it was his first time visiting. Then, one person raised his hand, another saw this and followed, and eventually, 4-5 people raised their hands. The preacher was so glad and prayed for those who stood up.

An altar call is an invitation for those who wish to make a new spiritual commitment to Jesus Christ and to come forward publicly. It is about receiving Christ as a personal Savior and Lord. Salvation is once and for all; there is no need to accept Christ over and over again.

We, Myanmar, especially Asian people, are mostly timid or too shy and afraid to come forward publicly. I experienced this before I knew a single English word in Bible school. A preacher asked us to come forward for an altar call, but we were afraid, even though we had all received Christ as Lord. There were 73 students in all the classes. The preacher expected someone to respond and waited a long time. It seemed the preaching wouldn’t end unless someone responded, and the preacher might feel bad. Our president, sitting in the back, scolded us in the local language, telling us to raise our hands and go forward. We were afraid of the president, so some of us raised our hands.

The same thing happened in our church when the pastor visited us. A certain one or two persons raised his hand twice just to impress the preacher. This had happened to us in Bible school as well. This seems to be common in many places, especially churches in Asia, as far as I know and asked them.

Therefore, I would like to discuss with you all: Is an altar call mandatory after every preaching? Do you practice it every Sunday or after every service in your church? What would be the best approach or solution for this? It feels like a white lie to the preacher, just to impress. I would say it is a sin to God too, accepting Him repeatedly. What would we do if we were in that position, or let the preacher get upset himself 😊 ?

Let us have a positive thought and please share your idea!

Thank you and God bless everyone!

I had a professor and pastor from India visit Burma last year for a week. He is an Indian-American who actually resides in the U.S. I was glad that he could visit our country. As it was his first time in Burma, I arranged all the programs for where he would preach or visit.

The first place I took him was to some families who were homeless and were our believers. Since he is a foreigner, some neighbors came to see him. He is taller than us, so he couldn’t stand in the small house, and he preached while sitting. There were around 20 people, and after his preaching, he did an altar call. I took him again to another church where both unbelievers and believers were present. He did another altar call after preaching. I also took him to a friend of a missionary, to a home-based church, and invited Buddhist and Muslim believers to listen. He did an altar call there too. On Sunday morning before he left Burma, he preached at our church and did an altar call after preaching.

After he returned, one of my professors, a pastor and Apologetics professor from India, who resides in India, asked me, “Did the pastor visit you?” I told him yes, and we had a conversation about how we do things here, eventually coming to the point of altar calls. The pastor said, “I believe altar calls are good, but our preachers here often forget to do that. A preacher from abroad, especially an American or European, usually does it, but we have to understand the context. There is a difference between their preaching and our preaching! They preach based on the Bible, but we preach based on the Bible while knowing our context and using our illustrations. For example, we know our youth and their problems, and we know about how Myanmar/Northeast India people live, including their food and clothing etc..”

Back in 2010, when I was in Bible school and before I knew how to speak English, foreigners from America came to our school, taught us English, and preached to us in the chapel. Every time after preaching, they did an altar call.

Recently, I asked an old classmate from Bible school, who married a Filipino lady and now resides in the Philippines, whether altar calls are practiced there. He said, “We only do them during special events such as conferences, Bible camps, Bible study classes, or special occasions. The pastor here doesn’t do after every preaching.” I was once in India, and I didn’t see Indian preachers do altar calls.

The story is, when the pastor visited us, he did an altar call after every preaching. After his preaching on Sunday, our members from his first visit, the homeless believers, attended our service. Some had already responded to the altar call during his first preaching (They promised him that after his preaching they understood the Saving of Christ or accept Christ). Our church is a small congregation, and we usually conduct a salvation camp at least once or twice a year, where all members must attend the salvation teaching class, which takes 3-5 days. We know our members well, and all have confirmed that they have received Christ. But when the preacher asked for an altar call, it was a silent moment for a few minutes. When there was no response, the congregation thought the preacher might feel bad or think his preaching was not effective. Or the preacher might be upset with us since it was his first time visiting. Then, one person raised his hand, another saw this and followed, and eventually, 4-5 people raised their hands. The preacher was so glad and prayed for those who stood up.

An altar call is an invitation for those who wish to make a new spiritual commitment to Jesus Christ and to come forward publicly. It is about receiving Christ as a personal Savior and Lord. Salvation is once and for all; there is no need to accept Christ over and over again.

We, Myanmar, especially Asian people, are mostly timid or too shy and afraid to come forward publicly. I experienced this before I knew a single English word in Bible school. A preacher asked us to come forward for an altar call, but we were afraid, even though we had all received Christ as Lord. There were 73 students in all the classes. The preacher expected someone to respond and waited a long time. It seemed the preaching wouldn’t end unless someone responded, and the preacher might feel bad. Our president, sitting in the back, scolded us in the local language, telling us to raise our hands and go forward. We were afraid of the president, so some of us raised our hands.

The same thing happened in our church when the pastor visited us. A certain one or two persons raised his hand twice just to impress the preacher. This had happened to us in Bible school as well. This seems to be common in many places, especially churches in Asia, as far as I know and asked them.

Therefore, I would like to discuss with you all: Is an altar call mandatory after every preaching? Do you practice it every Sunday or after every service in your church? What would be the best approach or solution for this? It feels like a white lie to the preacher, just to impress. I would say it is a sin to God too, accepting Him repeatedly. What would we do if we were in that position, or let the preacher get upset himself 😊 ?

Let us have a positive thought and please share your idea!

Thank you and God bless everyone!
What a interesting topic.
Biblically, there is no scripture I am aware of ( could be wrong) that states this as a tool that must, or could be used.
In the way Alter Call is used.
However:
Jesus’ public call to His disciples, such as “Follow Me” (Matthew 4:19; 9:9), which involved an immediate response.
The apostles’ public preaching and witness, which often led to people responding publicly to the Gospel message.
I think it depends is a person taking quotes over chapter content to create a plausible requirement?
But again a call to do so upon request ?

In my use and observation its personal and usually discussed before a service that the person wishes to accept publically.
I think it amount to a similar confession of being baptized. And that also is usually a situation where a person chooses.
Its a touchy area.
My own opinion is, because its not clear in scripture then forcing a request, becomes more peer pressure.
Imagine being in a Bible study group and the group is now wanting to publically accept Christ. They ask the Pastor if they may.
But what if Richard was not ready. But goes along, or if a alter call is made by the pastor how is one to know if those standing to accept are now genuine. Or pressured cause everyone else stood and they notice you didnt.

The Bible is and amazing tool. When I think of hard things to figure out. I check the Bible.
Often times it gives you and example. And it appears in the Bible. The acceptance is to be done freely.
My self I feel a call to share something so intimate with you and God. Should be that way until you choose to do so
and are ready for such a opening of your life.

That is all I got.
I sure love thinking questions like this :)

If you know that the entire congregation is saved, then there is no need to have an altar call. If there are some who are unbelievers or have strayed from the path and need to re-dedicate themselves, then yes a call should be given. Kris Kristofferson was known to live on the wild side of life then when he went on tour with Barbara Mandrel she made him go to church with her. After the service an altar call was made and he was surprised that he was responding to it, yet, he knew it was the right thing for him to do. He changed his wild behavior and truly accepted Christ. My point is, as a preacher you don't know who has and who has not come to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ. I would suggest that you tell the people who have already accepted the call that it is ok that they do not respond to an altar call. The preacher should not be so proud that he demand that someone come forward every time. It should be the Holy Spirit leading someone to answer that call.

Altar calls often devolve into emotional appeals, substituting the real work of God's Spirit working through His Word.

Romans 1:16 NKJV
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.

What a interesting topic.
Biblically, there is no scripture I am aware of ( could be wrong) that states this as a tool that must, or could be used.
In the way Alter Call is used.
However:
Jesus’ public call to His disciples, such as “Follow Me” (Matthew 4:19; 9:9), which involved an immediate response.
The apostles’ public preaching and witness, which often led to people responding publicly to the Gospel message.
I think it depends is a person taking quotes over chapter content to create a plausible requirement?
But again a call to do so upon request ?

In my use and observation its personal and usually discussed before a service that the person wishes to accept publically.
I think it amount to a similar confession of being baptized. And that also is usually a situation where a person chooses.
Its a touchy area.
My own opinion is, because its not clear in scripture then forcing a request, becomes more peer pressure.
Imagine being in a Bible study group and the group is now wanting to publically accept Christ. They ask the Pastor if they may.
But what if Richard was not ready. But goes along, or if a alter call is made by the pastor how is one to know if those standing to accept are now genuine. Or pressured cause everyone else stood and they notice you didnt.

The Bible is and amazing tool. When I think of hard things to figure out. I check the Bible.
Often times it gives you and example. And it appears in the Bible. The acceptance is to be done freely.
My self I feel a call to share something so intimate with you and God. Should be that way until you choose to do so
and are ready for such a opening of your life.

That is all I got.
I sure love thinking questions like this :)
Thank you RootedWithGod for your point.

It is usually not discussed before the person wishes to go publicly, but the altar call happens only after the preacher has finished the preaching.

If it is like they ask a Pastor for public confession to accept Christ, that is amazing testimony!

Yes, the Bible is amazing tool.. How many years in our lives we read or search, it gives a new mind, a new inspiration, a new spirit and a new thought...

God bless!

If you know that the entire congregation is saved, then there is no need to have an altar call. If there are some who are unbelievers or have strayed from the path and need to re-dedicate themselves, then yes a call should be given. Kris Kristofferson was known to live on the wild side of life then when he went on tour with Barbara Mandrel she made him go to church with her. After the service an altar call was made and he was surprised that he was responding to it, yet, he knew it was the right thing for him to do. He changed his wild behavior and truly accepted Christ. My point is, as a preacher you don't know who has and who has not come to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ. I would suggest that you tell the people who have already accepted the call that it is ok that they do not respond to an altar call. The preacher should not be so proud that he demand that someone come forward every time. It should be the Holy Spirit leading someone to answer that call.
Thank you brother Dave F., You got me well my point.

Sometimes we don't have a situation to speak openly between the service to confirm that "We all got Saved already".

Yes, if someone is going astray from the path of the Lord, re- dedication is the best chance but to ask them congregation "How many of you would like to receive Christ after hearing the sermon today?" is difference again. Your illustration is a good point. I agree that preacher should not be proud of how much he wins but truly needs Holy Spirit to lead someone to respond the call. It looks like sometimes for others to feel that preachers are willing to count the numbers of people how many accepted through him.

Thank you RootedWithGod for your point.

It is usually not discussed before the person wishes to go publicly, but the altar call happens only after the preacher has finished the preaching.

If it is like they ask a Pastor for public confession to accept Christ, that is amazing testimony!

Yes, the Bible is amazing tool.. How many years in our lives we read or search, it gives a new mind, a new inspiration, a new spirit and a new thought...

God bless!
Hello and Good Morning.
So in the perspective you are speaking, its spontaneous?

I have seen both a Alter call, and then seen those that wanted to profess their acceptance, which did sometimes lead others to come and kneel.
Some stand up.
I don't think I have a right or wrong answer. Having been to hundreds of churches. I have seen many different, I guess the word would be
policies by how they do so.
I have seen one opening recently to Alter Call with Music and a Band playing where hundreds went to the steps of an alter.
Then service began. And I have seen closing the same way.

But whether it should be mandatory. I found nothing that supports that biblically.
Having been in the audience, it can be very peerish ( not sure thats a word) But I see people whispering
about going up too. Seemed to be at the Pastors will it is being done. Or it appears that way given the explanation.
I am not sure just seen many variations.

My most valuable if I recall was at a river and a man was kneeling near the water professing Christ as his savior.
Not loud but loud enough to hear. What I think I care about myself is, that the person has deeply and truly accepted.

But again what a great topic thank you for allowing open views to this.

Altar calls often devolve into emotional appeals, substituting the real work of God's Spirit working through His Word.

Romans 1:16 NKJV
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.
Yes, agree!

I have come across this moments many times before we were listening the preaching through an interpreter. Someone told me that some got up to the call but no internal conversion and the same situation as before. That is bad!

Hello and Good Morning.
So in the perspective you are speaking, its spontaneous?

I have seen both a Alter call, and then seen those that wanted to profess their acceptance, which did sometimes lead others to come and kneel.
Some stand up.
I don't think I have a right or wrong answer. Having been to hundreds of churches. I have seen many different, I guess the word would be
policies by how they do so.
I have seen one opening recently to Alter Call with Music and a Band playing where hundreds went to the steps of an alter.
Then service began. And I have seen closing the same way.

But whether it should be mandatory. I found nothing that supports that biblically.
Having been in the audience, it can be very peerish ( not sure thats a word) But I see people whispering
about going up too. Seemed to be at the Pastors will it is being done. Or it appears that way given the explanation.
I am not sure just seen many variations.

My most valuable if I recall was at a river and a man was kneeling near the water professing Christ as his savior.
Not loud but loud enough to hear. What I think I care about myself is, that the person has deeply and truly accepted.

But again what a great topic thank you for allowing open views to this.
Hi, it's my night here 9:00PM.

As people who comment after service, it wouldn't be spontaneous for most of every after altar call. Imagine a preacher comes from outside of country, he is so excited and to the same people, he preach. He did every time an altar call. It also happens sometimes.

What you mentioned is really the work of the Spirit and people willing to kneel down before the Lord. Not by someone said, come to the pulpit today!

When the Spirit touchs the heart, we are like the apostles in Acts. The disciples can't even pray with Jesus while He is about to be arrested and Simon was afraid to confess Jesus is His Master.

But after his ascension and after the Pentecost, they were not afraid to death any more. When the Spirit touchs, a dead life has a living soul.
Our God is amazing Almighty God!

i support the altar call when done under the Guidelines of the Holy spirit . it works its effective is it Bible ? no neither is Sunday school . far as that goes some of the things we do in Church are not found in scripture.. BUT if God is in it they work. i was saved by the altar call not literally saved by the altar call but during . in that time the still small voice spoke to me its Now or never --i chose the now .

the altar as we call it use to be called the mourners bench ..but since we no longer mourn over our sins .its become outdated.. i know a pastor who has since passed on.. his testimony he sat upon the side of his bed.. told the Lord if he would save him.. he would do what he wanted.. he preached over 50 years till his health broke. a altar can be any place you want your pew the altar bench your car. when we follow the prompting of teh spirit we never go wrong...

I miss the altar very much. When I was growing up, the pastor would have an altar call at the end of the service IF he felt the presence of the Holy Spirit. But, in addition to that, often before the service began, folks would pray for the service at the altar. I should mention that the sanctuary was treated as a sanctuary - meaning, when the congregants entered the sanctuary, they were quiet and reverent of the sanctuary - which provided an ambience suitable for praying at the altar. Likewise, at the end of the service, the pastor prayed a benediction, then exited the sanctuary. After the pastor exited the sanctuary, then the congregants would leave. Discussions had to wait until everyone exited the sanctuary to the foyer - then everyone would have their discussions, etc. There was a deep respect for the sanctuary because that is where everyone hoped the Holy Spirit would join with the church.

I miss the altar very much. When I was growing up, the pastor would have an altar call at the end of the service IF he felt the presence of the Holy Spirit. But, in addition to that, often before the service began, folks would pray for the service at the altar. I should mention that the sanctuary was treated as a sanctuary - meaning, when the congregants entered the sanctuary, they were quiet and reverent of the sanctuary - which provided an ambience suitable for praying at the altar. Likewise, at the end of the service, the pastor prayed a benediction, then exited the sanctuary. After the pastor exited the sanctuary, then the congregants would leave. Discussions had to wait until everyone exited the sanctuary to the foyer - then everyone would have their discussions, etc. There was a deep respect for the sanctuary because that is where everyone hoped the Holy Spirit would join with the church.
today the altar call has been replaced by repeat this prayer after me if you said this prayer your saved .. i call it the mass altar call with out ever going to the altar or the spirit drawing

i support the altar call when done under the Guidelines of the Holy spirit . it works its effective is it Bible ? no neither is Sunday school . far as that goes some of the things we do in Church are not found in scripture.. BUT if God is in it they work. i was saved by the altar call not literally saved by the altar call but during . in that time the still small voice spoke to me its Now or never --i chose the now . the altar as we call it use to be called the mourners bench ..but since we no longer mourn over our sins .its become outdated.. i know a pastor who has since passed on.. his testimony he sat upon the side of his bed.. told the Lord if he would save him.. he would do what he wanted.. he preached over 50 years till his health broke. a altar can be any place you want your pew the altar bench your car. when we follow the prompting of teh spirit we never go wrong...

Good morning;

I agree with forgiven. The altar call is not Biblical. Many pastors don't feel prompted by the Holy Spirit to have an altar call. I've had this conversation with them and asked why. They wanted to be careful that an altar call be approached less the Holy Spirit by the congregants and become a weekly ritual with no substance or thought.

Then there are pastors like myself that had an altar call before the closing of service for two years at a second Church I pastored on Sunday evenings. (My main Church was during Sunday morning.)

This Church had a high turnover of pastors for ridiculous reasons, causing them to struggle with a mixed doctrine of an Independent Church, Pentecostalism and Catholicism combined. I felt the Holy Spirit call me to have a solemn, altar call before the closing of service. The members would form a line and come up one at at time. I would lay hands on them whether they were receiving Christ or a varied of prayer requests, and pray the prayer of acceptance, or admonish them in their requests.

This second Church also needed additional individual visitation so an altar call was appropriate to help this Church receive the love, care and building up in their faith with a stable doctrine and the Lord's guidance before going home.

As far as my first Church I didn't feel prompted by the spirit to have an altar call.

An altar call is not mandatory after preaching but should be the sole spiritual decision by the pastor if he is led to.

Back