Shyness

Proverbs 29:25

:bow:

When I was in high school, I was like that...I was so shy it hurt just to walk from class to class between bells. When I graduated, I was forced to take a job at a local radio station. I became a popular deejay and somehow my shyness melted away and I became arrogant, boisterous, loud, proud.

I'm trying to learn to humble myself again, so many years later. Trust in God, my friend...He'll protect you from the fear of human opinion.

God bless.

Thanks for this ..I meditated on that scripture you gave. Proverbs 29:25 and it really helped.. helped me get up and go Church service today..

How did you find the change process.. I'm so used to being shy.. thats all I know.. the thought of being centre in anything seems so far fetched.. I'm excited at the thought of not being shy any more..

BUt I know nothing's impossible for God..

When you think back can you remember your shy day's.. Did you find that people who always knew you as quiet would not except you loud..??

Thanks.. sorry so many questions..

Back when I was painfully shy, I attended a journalism/broadcasting summer camp at both Washington State University and BYU. One of the instructors noticed that I was shy and pulled me aside before I went on the air (radio) and told me that nobody out there could see me. They could all hear me, but they didn't look at me and couldn't judge me...and that cracked my shell.

I started feeling like I was just like everybody else - my opinion mattered and I had the ultimate right to share that opinion with anybody (over the radio at first, and then gradually in person). I started forcing myself to stand up and speak out because I had just as much right to speak out as so-and-so. I pounded this into my head day and night, and somewhere along the line I made the dreadful mistake of believing that I had more right to say things than other people, because of my local celebrity status.

I used a different name on the radio (my middle name). Old classmates would sometimes call me to ask if I was related to me, and I would have to explain to them that it was me. None of them believed that the shy timid boy could have become so outspoken. I put the bad acid into my heart that I was going to pay back every person from school that ever made me feel insignificant with this new power that I had found. I went to college and excelled in Psychology and English.

One day mom pulled me aside and told me that I was turning into something bad. I could so easily find a person's weak point and then pick out just the right words to use against them to make them hurt. That's not who I wanted to be.

God gave me a flame in my soul and by using my own ego I had turned that into a raging bonfire that I couldn't control. I was so ashamed of myself.

I sometimes feel shy today, but I take that as God's blessing on me. I asked him to take away that loud person who was so far gone into his own insecurities that he was able to hide his fear under bandages of false pride. Today when I find myself shy, I embrace it. It's a hard feeling for me to find today, and so it's a real blessing when it comes.

See? Not everybody is able to feel what your heart feels, my friend. It's like how some people are color blind and will always wonder what the difference between red and green really is that other people see so easily.

Don't be afraid of what other people are thinking about you, because when you have God in your heart everybody's on the same level surface of existence and nobody has the right to judge another person. If they do, they're wasting their energy because we should all be working on ourselves. No one man in this world today is standing on a hill so high that they can point a finger at you to point out your wrongs. Jesus and God protect you from the fear of human opinion. :)

God bless you, my friend.

Back