Strained Relationship With our Immediate Families

bobinfaith

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Hello brothers and sisters;

I flew back to San Diego last Tuesday for a reunion with my siblings all in one setting. Only one of my younger sisters couldn't make it. The whole time went great until Saturday, the last day before I would fly back to the Bay Area.

In one of our discussions about the food preparations I was about to make a suggestion but my other sister made an abrupt "open hand ✋ motion" directly at my face to keep me from talking. I felt this was a rude gesture but I overlooked it until it was my turn to speak.

Later my step Mom (who just turned 80 last month) brought up out of nowhere an argument I had toward another younger sister (the one who was absent) that would have occurred some 20 years ago. She told step Mom that since that day she never wants to speak or see me again. All this coming from my step Mom.

I was surprised and unprepared because I really don't remember that argument from 20 years ago, and it was difficult to restrain myself but I managed. My other sister (with the hand motion) immediately looked at me and her face had a reaction of judgment suggesting her mind was made up what my step Mom said to me in front of the whole family.

These two incidences were probably minor things that can happen between parents, siblings and close relatives but it took the joy out of my last day.

Later that evening before I went to sleep I prayed and confessed to the Lord to reveal any wrong doing on my part for I was very confused and don't know what to do.

I'm still processing what happened and at some point the Lord will guide me in addressing my step mom and other sister separately and in private. I may also write my younger sister a letter who lives in Mississippi.

Practice What We Preach

Psalm 62:5-8, 5 My soul, wait silently for God alone, For my expectation is from Him. 6 He only is my rock and my salvation; He is my defense; I shall not be moved. 7 In God is my salvation and my glory; The rock of my strength, And my refuge, is in God. 8 Trust in Him at all times, you people; Pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us. Selah - NKJV

All Christians are not exempt from difficult relationships with our immediate families who are not believers or followers of Christ Jesus. Non-believing families can manipulate their Christian family members and lead us to feel we are worthless in our testimony and remain the same crust we used to be. Don't give in to that!

Those of us who are in a daily relationship with Jesus are not forsaken. God continuously builds up His / our relationship, exposing us as light and salt in our spirit and flesh including our body language. He does a continuous work in us daily. God's love and building up is too pure to be manipulating.

I love my step Mom and two sisters that I mentioned. They are not believers and don't see me as a man of God, instead the (my) old person who still remains the same crust.

Please share your experiences of challenged family relationships, how does God and Scripture guide you?

Love in Christ.
Bob

Hello Bob
I bet that was a hurdle. The old man probably wanted to set things straight. Nice to hear you cleared that trial. I believe trials are inevitable or we are not in the running.
I believe we don't see the trials Jesus went through. He had the right motives and objectives and they eventually crucified him for it. Even those closest to him failed him.
I expect you are a better man for things that you go through but if you are like me I like to thing that maybe I'm good enough now how about some block busting mountain top experiences.
God bless you my friend.

I have also had some tough times with close relatives. For a long while I thought it was just me, but I have come to realize that some of my relatives are just jerks. I am not suggesting this is in any way true for you, but it is for me.
…brought up out of nowhere an argument I had toward another younger sister…
It is amazing the longevity of some family slights, particularly those slights that are misunderstandings in origin. This must have been a bit of a shock for you, and your wife, in the manner and timing in which you were made aware.
My other sister (with the hand motion) immediately looked at me and her face had a reaction of judgment…
This realization that you have been a topic of family discussion behind the scenes is also something I have experienced and it is troubling on several fronts. For one, it makes you feel like an outsider to your own family.

This being outside your own family is an unseen country, not a place you can imagine being until it happens.

We suffered from lack of emotional and financial support during some very hard times that we experienced. People, friends, doctors, and others would ask us, “What about your family, why aren’t they helping?” This made it doubly difficult. I honestly had trouble coming to terms with this. It can really set you adrift if you are not anchored in the Lord… and to be honest, I wasn’t so much back then, I had drifted, and it was a motivating force in turning back to scripture and towards God.
I'm still processing what happened and at some point the Lord will guide me…
Nobody can hurt us like someone we believe we are close to, that we love, and who we believe loves us. Some family disputes are just never resolved and this leaves a tender and bruised place in your heart.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

God bless you and your wife.

Hello Bob
I bet that was a hurdle. The old man probably wanted to set things straight. Nice to hear you cleared that trial. I believe trials are inevitable or we are not in the running.
I believe we don't see the trials Jesus went through. He had the right motives and objectives and they eventually crucified him for it. Even those closest to him failed him.
I expect you are a better man for things that you go through but if you are like me I like to thing that maybe I'm good enough now how about some block busting mountain top experiences.
God bless you my friend.
I have also had some tough times with close relatives. For a long while I thought it was just me, but I have come to realize that some of my relatives are just jerks. I am not suggesting this is in any way true for you, but it is for me.

It is amazing the longevity of some family slights, particularly those slights that are misunderstandings in origin. This must have been a bit of a shock for you, and your wife, in the manner and timing in which you were made aware.

This realization that you have been a topic of family discussion behind the scenes is also something I have experienced and it is troubling on several fronts. For one, it makes you feel like an outsider to your own family.

This being outside your own family is an unseen country, not a place you can imagine being until it happens.

We suffered from lack of emotional and financial support during some very hard times that we experienced. People, friends, doctors, and others would ask us, “What about your family, why aren’t they helping?” This made it doubly difficult. I honestly had trouble coming to terms with this. It can really set you adrift if you are not anchored in the Lord… and to be honest, I wasn’t so much back then, I had drifted, and it was a motivating force in turning back to scripture and towards God.

Nobody can hurt us like someone we believe we are close to, that we love, and who we believe loves us. Some family disputes are just never resolved and this leaves a tender and bruised place in your heart.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

God bless you and your wife.

Hello 2404 and blueskies;

Thank you, brothers. I appreciate your support with your encouraging words. I hope what we are sharing will uplift others who can relate.

God bless you both and your families.
Bob

Most of my issues with my family are about bringing up grandchildren. I know it’s not really my business interfering too much But, I do like to stick my oar in and I’m learning how to do it in a way that won’t get other peoples backs up.( school, and my children)
Half the battle is creating a joyful environment where my grandkids feel safe disclosing anything to me and so I just casually mention things my grandkid needs to be aware about through play. But my kids think I am not giving them enough credit as parents but it’s not that… I’m just checking my grandkids are safe at school and in their social life and online. In a way, I never had the problems they have today growing up, and I’m just extra cautious. My kids know this I suppose so I kinda get an eye roll here and there but they let me carry on and so I’m in the good books really ( I hope) better safe than sorry. Haven’t had too much of a problem yet thank God.

Most of my issues with my family are about bringing up grandchildren. I know it’s not really my business interfering too much But, I do like to stick my oar in and I’m learning how to do it in a way that won’t get other peoples backs up.( school, and my children)
Half the battle is creating a joyful environment where my grandkids feel safe disclosing anything to me and so I just casually mention things my grandkid needs to be aware about through play. But my kids think I am not giving them enough credit as parents but it’s not that… I’m just checking my grandkids are safe at school and in their social life and online. In a way, I never had the problems they have today growing up, and I’m just extra cautious. My kids know this I suppose so I kinda get an eye roll here and there but they let me carry on and so I’m in the good books really ( I hope) better safe than sorry. Haven’t had too much of a problem yet thank God.

Hello Via;

I can relate to what you share as a grandparent. Your children may not see how the Lord is leading you to care for the grandchildren without stepping on the parent's toes.

I am not a grandparent but in a way feel so with my 28 and 24 year old nieces, 19 and 17 year old nephews and 6 year old niece, all who have lived with Hazel and me since they were all infants or little ones.

For 18 years our house was like a revolving temporary dwelling til their parents were able to buy their own homes. Many times I had to admonish the kids behavior while growing up but had to be careful not to undermine their parents. At times I felt like the bad guy and Hazel was caught between her siblings (the parents) and her husband.

How did we get through those years? Though my wife has witnessed to her brother, his wife, and her sister and husband (all nominal Christians) we love them and have given our best to maintain the Christian foundation in our home.

Love in Christ.
Bob

hmm with my bros and sisters, we kind of know our weaknesses, one has a temper, one is bossy, one is a know it all and I have probably the worst traits of all of them! (being that difficult middle child, always left out of things) lol

But we also know our strengths. Because we grew up together though it's often not nice to look in the mirror and wonder how others see you.

My sister didn't know she was the bossy one until years later when she found out...haha

She just thought that was normal.

hmm with my bros and sisters, we kind of know our weaknesses, one has a temper, one is bossy, one is a know it all and I have probably the worst traits of all of them! (being that difficult middle child, always left out of things) lol But we also know our strengths. Because we grew up together though it's often not nice to look in the mirror and wonder how others see you. My sister didn't know she was the bossy one until years later when she found out...haha She just thought that was normal.

Hello Lanolin;

Good post. It's a learning point for many closest to us in our families. We know the weaknesses of each one but also see the strengths which to me is the bigger picture.

My sister who is 1 year younger than me seems to target me with her irritabilities and is quick to scold and lecture me. Years ago I would have pushed back fiercely. But as I have gotten older I choose to diffuse her critiques of me and offer her an olive branch, not sugar coating but as a witness of peace for Christ.

"Looking in the mirror" is not fun but my way of doing a self check, asking the Holy Spirit to reveal how I (believer) need to see my shortcomings through the eyes of God.

God bless you, sister.
Bob

I could write a novel. I won't. I have made ammends and love them with the love of Christ. I am learning that assumptions can destroy. I don't know why or how things get so muddled at times. I would much rather give it to God to sort because I apparently suck at it. Lol

Back