Sunday school activities: HELP!

I'm a Sunday School teacher in Madeira Island, Portugal and, once again, I need your help with my activities.

Kids today are hyperactive, rebellious and extremely materialistic. And to make matters worse, I work with a large group (14 kids) and they are all very young (10-12 y.o.)

I've already tried a couple of activities that worked well: a field trip; coloring CHRISTUS VINCIT t-shirts; Christian newspapers and movies (The Prince of Egypt, Joseph King of Dreams); and a local tradition called God's Bread.

I need more activities, any tips? Thanks in advance!

I'm a Sunday School teacher in Madeira Island, Portugal and, once again, I need your help with my activities.

Kids today are hyperactive, rebellious and extremely materialistic. And to make matters worse, I work with a large group (14 kids) and they are all very young (10-12 y.o.)

I've already tried a couple of activities that worked well: a field trip; coloring CHRISTUS VINCIT t-shirts; Christian newspapers and movies (The Prince of Egypt, Joseph King of Dreams); and a local tradition called God's Bread.

Hello Flavio;

It's 12am and have to get some rest. I'm praying that our brothers and sisters will offer some good advice tomorrow to bless the children and your staff.

Proverbs 15:22, 22 Without counsel plans fail, but with many advisers they succeed.

I'll be back tomorrow evening (Califorinia) and respond as well.

God bless the children, Flavio, you and your family.

Looks to me like you are already providing good activities for that age group. Maybe they just need to develop the discipline in which they learn to read, sit, listen, and share. Specifically you could have them read a bible story (at home or together in class) and list questions to not only ask you but ask the whole group). Collect their questions and read them to the group to answer.

Last edited:

A Sword (Bible) Drill may be helpful.

It is a contest to see who can find a certain Bible verse 1st.

There are all kinds of teaching suggestions on line...………www. oureverydaylife.com/free-bible-study-activities-for-12-to-14-year-olds-12082752.html

A group read, everyone take turns
Acting the story, with costumes and props.

And maybe if you got some resources...start a garden! Teach children about the sower and the seed.

Easter/passover coming up, hold a seder or make hot cross buns.

A couple of things I have seen tried in addition to the routine things you have mentioned - Spend some time in worship. Kids love songs and they love to sing. May be take turns with them where some leads the song. If some know how to play instruments, they can help as well. And may be teach them some action songs. Kids love that. The other thing could be to have some kids act out some scenes in the Bible. They will learn and the remember the story very well through this. They would also understand the context of some of the stories this way. When they imagine themselves in the story, it kicks off their thinking like anything. it is much better that simply hearing.

Is there anybody in your group who can teach music? I have bought recorder flutes for as little as five US dollars each, cheap enough to give away. They are very easy to learn to play.

Is there anybody in your group who can teach music? I have bought recorder flutes for as little as five US dollars each, cheap enough to give away. They are very easy to learn to play.

Hey Saul;

Do you mind if I call you Saul or do you prefer Saul Mine?

I'm a musician and one of the members who became a childen's minister may be able to use your recorder flutes. I'll ask her this weekend. She may ask if the recorder flutes have ever been used. I hope you don't mind.

Unless someone else will take your offer, we may be interested and will cover the shipping.

God bless you and thanks, Saul.

Hey Saul;

Do you mind if I call you Saul or do you prefer Saul Mine?

I'm a musician and one of the members who became a childen's minister may be able to use your recorder flutes. I'll ask her this weekend. She may ask if the recorder flutes have ever been used. I hope you don't mind.

Unless someone else will take your offer, we may be interested and will cover the shipping.

God bless you and thanks, Saul.

https://rhythmband.com/aulos-3-piece-student-soprano-recorder/

One phony name is as good as another. If you pm me [staff edit under Rule 6.2a]: 'for details', I will have ten instruments shipped to you.

Back