Sunday School - April 12, 2009

Sunday School - April 12, 2009

Human memory has the ability to store, retain and recall information. Human memory is a fascinating mental organism to say the least, a mystifying storage receptacle, a true marvel created by an amazing God.

John 1:3. All things were made by him; and without him was not anything made that was made.

Each memory event is formed by audible, visual and numerous other sensory exposures. Memory has little discretion to store and retain, yet it is selective of that which it will recall; for often we seem to forget, only to recall when a specific trigger unlocks a long forgotten stored memory. This may indicate the lack of importance of the long forgotten memory or the priority placed on such memory. Whatever the reason may be, a memory that has been stored and retained has no value if such cannot be recalled; such is like a lamp without oil, faith without works, a world without hope or sinful man without a Savior (Jesus Christ).

1 Corinthians 15:1-2. Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

Memory that is recalled or not recalled has it use within God’s providence; for it is only God Who can allow hearing to those who hear not and seeing to those who see not (Matthew 13:13-14). This is also a tool used with His faithful, a memory established for future recollection; for every seed or memory He plants, there is sure to be a time of harvest. As Christian, He has given us a comforter to bring all good memories (that which edify) to mind.

John 14:26. But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

This week's lesson is again from “The Gospel According to St. Luke”. For those who follow the International Sunday School Lesson Plan (aka: The Standard Sunday School Lesson), this Sunday's lesson (April 12, 2009) comes from Luke 24:1-12.

The events of this lesson begins early Sunday morning after the crucifixion of the Lord and Savior, Jesus. A few faithful women thought it to be their duty to apply spices to His lifeless body, for even in His death their love for Him transcended their inability to discern the reason for His death. Such is the essence of true faith, the evidence of things not seen or fully understood (Hebrews 11:1). The women found the stone rolled away from the sepulchre and found not the body of the Lord. The sadness of His death was replaced by confusion and worry due to the absence of Jesus’ physical remains. The women were perplexed; however, at the pinnacle of despair, there is always hope for God’s faithful.

Matthew 5:4. Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.

Psamls 30:5b. Weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning.

Two men in shining garments stood by them and asked “Why seek ye the living among the dead?” The women immediately discern the divine nature of the two and displayed their reverence. The two men clarified their question with the most remarkable statement ever to have been heard by the women, for to them were given the first testimony of the Risen Christ:

Luke 24:6-8. He is not here, but is risen: remember how he spake unto you when he was yet in Galilee, Saying, The Son of man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again. And they remembered his words.

The fate of Christ given to His followers by Him on many occasions (Luke 9:22; 18:31-33) were heard and retained but was not originally understood, remembered or recalled; however, with words spoken by the two men, that which was long forgotten memory becomes prophecy fulfilled. Such is the seed of memory, often stored away and forgotten, yet recalled at a specific time for future use.

The women returned from the sepulchre and told the eleven and others, but they did not believed and considered such to be as idle tales. Often when that which we hope or pray for is received, it is with disbelief, if conformation only comes from another. This is the limited ability of man, to extend faith beyond that which can be seen. Such was the failings of the apostle and the others such are we today.

John 20:29. Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed

We are all admonished to trust but verify (Acts 17:11), thus it serve us well to also verify when we are in disbelief. Peter ran to the sepulchre to verify that which was told by the women, although he questioned their story he had no reason to questioned their motive or integrity. Thus a verification of fact or perceived fiction would resolve the dilemma. After Peter looked at those things left in the sepulchre, he departed wondering (mnaomai – remember) in himself at that which was come to pass.

If you are not a typical Sunday School attendee, Go and surprise the teacher. If your Church does not follow the Standard Sunday School Lesson and you are not aware of the topic of discussion, take on the attitude of "positive anticipation". I am sure you will like it; there is nothing like reading and discussing God's Word.

FYI: Sunday School is not just for Kids, it is also for the Humble (those who wish to know the Spirit that recalls ) at heart.

Good Day and God Bless

Back