Superfoods : What are they ?

Dusty

Inactive
Superfoods : What are they ?

Superfoods: what they are, how they help

There's been a lot of buzz lately about "superfoods," foods that pack an extra nutritional punch. Superfoods tend to be rich in fibre, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals.
Adding more of these foods to your diet is a good choice for several reasons: they're often low-calorie, you may avoid or improve upon such conditions as cardiovascular disease and high cholesterol, and you'll enhance your digestive system.
There are many superfood lists out there; the list below includes five commonly recommended superfoods.
  • Apples: An apple a day keeps the doctor away, right? The old advice holds true today. Apples contain fibre that improves digestion and helps to reduce cholesterol; apples are also packed with vitamin C, a potent antioxidant.
  • Berries: Blueberries have been touted as antidotes to everything from memory loss to cancer. Blueberries are a great source of fibre and antioxidants, including vitamin C.
  • Nuts: Although nuts contain quite a bit of fat, it's the good fat that helps lower cholesterol. Nuts are also full of protein and fibre. Almonds also provide plenty of vitamin E and calcium.
  • Salmon: Eating salmon regularly is an easy way to get the omega-3 fatty acids, which are believed to improve heart health and blood circulation.
  • Sweet potatoes: Sweet potatoes are low in calories and high in beta-carotene, fibre, and many vitamins, and make a great alternative to regular baked potatoes.

I just read another article on the benefits of extra virgin olive oil.

My superfoods the last 3 weeks:
I've been eating pomegranate and grapefruit along with tons of venison. I usually get a few mango's in but they are almost 2 dollars a fruit (and they are tiny). I'm going to pick up a starfruit for my boys this week, they should love that.

yogurt is a super food, it has great benifits in digestive health, helping prevent osteoporosis, and maintaining normal microbiota in the body. awesome stuff:)

Yes .... especilly the ones with probiotic cultures .... Good point . And it does aid in digestion especially if you have the runs.

Back