Testing God

Testing God

What does it mean to test God exactly?

Why do I hear some people say "It is not okay to test God" but some other people are saying "It is okay to test God, you *should* test Him"?

I am confused. Where does it say it is right to test God, and what context is this in? I know that the Word says to test the *spirits* whether or not they are of God, but what's up with the latter?

Then the devil took Him into the holy city; and he had Him stand on the pinnacle of the temple, and said to Him, "If You are the Son of God throw Yourself down; for it is written, 'He will give His angels charge concerning You'; and 'On their hands they will bear You up, lest You strike Your foot against a stone.'" Jesus said to him, "On the other hand, it is written, 'You shall not put the Lord your God to the test.'" (Matthew 4:5-7)

There's no reason to "test God".

It's all by faith.

Why do I hear some people say "It is not okay to test God" but some other people are saying "It is okay to test God, you *should* test Him"?

In what kind of situations would they say something like that, CrOss??

To "test god" is to say something like "Hey God, I'm gunna drive around praying with my eyes closed. If you are really there then you will keep me alive."
God would have no reason to keep you alive. Therefore you would crash and probobly kill some people. That's why it's not good to test god.

In what kind of situations would they say something like that, CrOss??

Well, I was wondering because my dad was saying that it is okay to do so... I have heard many a people say "not to do so".

Your response is simple enough to understand, but I forgot what context my dad was using it as. It was sort of "if you are here... then", but not to the extreme of diving off a cliff... I don't know what he means.

I know enough not to test God though.

And nothing to say to poor Padelford? :crying_anim:

Hey your words were good too :goodpost: :) sorry I'm a little tired right now...

Oh, and it just came to me... for example (not really an example since my dad did, but anyway)...

My dad said he told God "Lord if you're willing to make me stop drinking, you will"...
Just so happens that my dad wasn't able to lift the bottle of vodka off the shelf at all.

umm... yeah, that's about it. Is that testing God still? My dad says that's testing your faith with God, but I think that's just beating around the bush with the subject of testing God... I'm not certain of it - what do you make of it?

Well since he is saying "If it is your will" I don't think that would be testing God. But I am HIGHLY theoretical so you can never be quite sure with me. :)

The only example of "testing God" that I can remember mentioned was about tithing. Don't remember the specifics off the top of my head, but I remember there was a promise given and we were told to test him on i.

Don't do foolish things and expect not to have consequences, God wants to take care of us but if you act crazy He may let you learn your lesson the hard way- pray first AND THEN make decisions !

This just reminded me of something from High School. A freind of mine turned in a completely blank test and prayed to God that He would fill in the answers for him. Anyone wanna guess what happened?

The student was given an A+ for original thinking? Not !

Back