The Chosen

Has anyone seen The Chosen?

I watched prequel and the first episode last night. What do you think?

I was kinda sleepy and didn't really see all the first episode properly but the prequel is called 'The Shepherd' and its about the people around Jesus and what they think of the Messiah in their midst.

The first episode focussed on Nicodemus and Mary Magdalene, and also it showed the young rich ruler.

I have heard of The Chosen but we haven't seen it yet.

Is it a TV series or a movie?
It's a tv series. I think it has had two seasons so far and they are making a third.

You can download it for free on your phone with the app and cast it to your tv (if your tv is smart enough).

The Chosen has very elaborate and plausible character developments. Some may not like it for some of those, like details about Peter's tax problems. But generally they are useful and they provide a needed humanity to all characters.

I have lately been comparing Chosen with Zefirelli's Jesus of Nazareth 1977. Sometimes a similar technique is used: one scene will push its way right in on an existing one.

But now in the 2nd or 3rd series, I think an expensive problem may show up: that Chosen has not really developed the tension of the revolts of the 1st century. The situations with Roman occupation etc will need to be developed much more than have been. JofN was on this right from the start, and there is no other way to understand the zealot problems without it.

The Chosen has very elaborate and plausible character developments. Some may not like it for some of those, like details about Peter's tax problems. But generally they are useful and they provide a needed humanity to all characters.

I have lately been comparing Chosen with Zefirelli's Jesus of Nazareth 1977. Sometimes a similar technique is used: one scene will push its way right in on an existing one.

But now in the 2nd or 3rd series, I think an expensive problem may show up: that Chosen has not really developed the tension of the revolts of the 1st century. The situations with Roman occupation etc will need to be developed much more than have been. JofN was on this right from the start, and there is no other way to understand the zealot problems without it.
I haven't seen that one

I think the context behind WHY the need for a Messiah needs to be explained or depicted...and why that Messiah had come from the Jewish people for the Israelites and that would be totally missing for anyone jumping right into the Jesus birth narrative without any prior knowledge or background (or having never read the Old Testament) so I see what you mean

Otherwise people think yea chosen..chosen for what? To be a hero? Lots of people are heroes. Lots of people are good. What's so special about Jesus?

I haven't seen that one

I think the context behind WHY the need for a Messiah needs to be explained or depicted...and why that Messiah had come from the Jewish people for the Israelites and that would be totally missing for anyone jumping right into the Jesus birth narrative without any prior knowledge or background (or having never read the Old Testament) so I see what you mean

Otherwise people think yea chosen..chosen for what? To be a hero? Lots of people are heroes. Lots of people are good. What's so special about Jesus?

I don't know if the series has unpacked its own title yet.

I forgot to mention that if you want to go back to the beginning of CHOSEN they did a 30 min piece at the beginning about a shepherd. It is very thoughtfully done, and nativity-story subject. It was a sort of test to see if they could do an IPO as a Christian filmmaker. So there was an explanation of that, because Jenkins' belief was that a very large production operation should be attempted, and that the narrative of Jesus should be written much the same way other large series are done, with 'ensemble' casts (higher numbers of supporting roles, besides extras).

Back