The Covenant of Redemption

Is the Covenant of Redemption a thing! Yes, and God is a bit mysterious concerning this one, for it is the one that is for those, whom, created after His image, are also after His “good pleasure” (Phl 2:13). These are they who are more precious to God than the angels; for man is the sole being who is after the image of God!

The present covenant of which the Christian is a recipient is a Covenant between the Father and His Son, in that the Father sacrificed the Son and raised Him from the dead after expiating the sins of the Christian (Heb 13:20, 21; Act 2:24, 32; 3:15; 4:10; 5:30; 10:40, 41; 13:30; 17:31; Rom 1:4; 4:24; 25; 8:11; 1Co 6:14, 15; 2Co 4:14; Gal 1:1; Eph 1:20; Col 2:12; 1Th 1:10; 1Pe 1:21).

In every covenant there is a benefactor and a beneficiary. If you’re in a covenant with God, He is the Benefactor, and you are the beneficiary; and you must be morally good to receive blessing; and not having a new nature presents the possibility of one returning to the “old man.” Being recipients of the Covenant between the Father and the Son we, by the Spirit using the new nature, are made to be good, so that there is no possible chance of returning to the “old man” (Phl 2:13). In the present Covenant the Benefactors are the Father and the Son, and the beneficiaries are the Christians!

We see the covenant language between God and Abraham, Isaac and Jacob (Lev 26:42), but there is no such language concerning the covenant with Christians. Just, "This is My body which is given for you," and "This cup is the new testament in My blood, which is shed for you" (Luk 22:19, 20); and that's all that’s necessary! No covenant between God and Christians, for He desired believers to be assured of desiring and doing His good pleasure.

There will be a New Covenant between God and the Israelites who “believe in God” (Jn 14:1) during the Millennium, after they finally see the Lord Jesus (Jer 31:31 Eze 36:24-28). I say finally, because “Jews require a sign” (Jhn 2:18; 1Co 1:22); and because Israel will not “believe” until they see Him, they forfeit the “blessing” of being in the Son-ship of Christ (Jn 20:29). Thus, they will remain a “people of God” (Heb 8:10); and Christians will be a people of God—but also sons and daughters of God, and “kings and priests” (Rev 21:3; 1:6; 5:10).

Note: I realize this is not plainly taught in Scripture, thus it is an inference; but it is a doctrine that I believe is not just theory but true, and I find it to be the most encouraging of all doctrines, it being the primary reason for creation.

Back