The Empty Pew

The Empty Pew
It is hard to imagine a time when churches did not have air conditioning, running water, cushioned chairs or pews. A church where there was a bucket of water in the corner with a dipper that everyone shared. The windows would be opened in the heat and people would crowd together for warmth in the winter. If you had to use the bathroom, you would have to make the long journey to the outhouse. Yet with all of these inconveniences, Sundays use to be a time when people gathered at the church house to hear God’s Word. Many churches didn’t have Sunday School or youth programs and everyone was in the sanctuary to worship, hear God’s Word, and be together. Pews were filled and I heard a lady this past weekend say she remembered when there was no more room in the church, people gathered outside by the windows and doors to hear the preacher preach the Word. God was a priority. Family was a priority.
People will say, “It was a simpler time back then.” Was it? People worked hard from sun up to sun down, most families were fortunate to have one car, and most items were handmade. Yet with everything they had to do on any given day, they made time for God and church.
Unfortunately today, it seems God and church is no longer a priority in too many families. The empty pew is becoming more common in churches throughout our nation. I have heard it said the church needs to change with the times, the church needs to cater to the people, the church needs more programs, the church......
Whatever happened to the thought of the church raising disciples and ministering to the community? Whatever happened to the church being a place where people came to greet one another to share the Word of God and to encourage one another in a life of holiness and righteousness? Whatever happened to people wanting to serve instead of being served?
The empty pew breaks my heart. Are people just too busy for God or do they just not care anymore? Either way, as more and more churches close their doors and people begin to remember when there use to be a place where God’s people would gather, one day when all the church doors are closed, maybe then, just maybe, people will once again rediscover their thirst to know who God is and to be with one another for worship and prayer.
~Calvary Baptist Church, Sulphur, LA

i found this on face book and it Holds lots of truth . My 2 cents is if Church was so important in the days of Old . with wooden pews no a/c only a pot belly stove to heat with.. WHY is Church not important today ? something to think on ..once again i realize this subject does not draw fore like some of the post in the past

Whatever happened to people wanting to serve instead of being served?
Dear forgiven61 thank you for sharing this.

What are your thoughts?

Is it that the individual Christian people themselves who have changed, or society as a whole?

Has the clergy lost touch with the flock, or is it that the “church” is just no longer a compelling part of Christian life.

Why has the world become different, what is filling the space that churches once filled in people’s lives?

What are your thoughts?

Is it that the individual Christian people themselves who have changed, or society as a whole?

Has the clergy lost touch with the flock, or is it that the “church” is just no longer a compelling part of Christian life.

Why has the world become different, what is filling the space that churches once filled in people’s lives?
i wish i could give you a correct answer... i simply dont know .. i think on your first question what changed i think both. when covid hit and the Church closed for precaution as asked by the state . when the all clear was given majority never returned . with others the Church is important but not as important. sometimes a sniffle or rain will keep them away .

the clergy lost touch? some might on my part i try stay in touch. i try as often as i can to encourage the Church.

church” is just no longer a compelling part of Christian life.
i do think that is part of it. IMO
Why has the world become different, what is filling the space that churches once filled in people’s lives? i can give one scripture that i feel is big Key

Matthew 24:12
And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.

i realize there will be those WHO feel they can walk on water and turn the water into wine

but i do feel we all fall short in where and what we should be.. i dont feel in my heart as a preacher i am %100 sold out,, dont get me wrong i am not person doing sinful nature but the flesh likes what it likes .

anyone think im wrong look at past 2 post that was closed by mod due to feelings coming out ...​

Dear forgiven61 thank you for sharing this.

What are your thoughts?

I'm of a mind that in these last days, the sheep and goats are being sorted.

I remember a story that came out of Czechoslovakia in 1968 after the Russians moved in to stop a rebellion.

An underground church group was holding an illegal worship meeting when suddenly the front doors burst open, and two Russian soldiers stood in the doorway with their rifles at ready.

"Anyone who wishes may leave now to avoid arrest," said the sergeant.

Several people got up and hurried out past the two soldiers.

The sergeant spoke again, "Anyone else?"

Nobody moved, and the soldiers came in, barred the door, propped their rifles against the wall, and sat down.

The sergeant spoke again, "We just wanted to make sure we could worship with real believers."

They had separated the goats and sheep. Today, culture and society are doing that same job.

The Empty Pew
It is hard to imagine a time when churches did not have air conditioning, running water, cushioned chairs or pews. A church where there was a bucket of water in the corner with a dipper that everyone shared. The windows would be opened in the heat and people would crowd together for warmth in the winter. If you had to use the bathroom, you would have to make the long journey to the outhouse. Yet with all of these inconveniences, Sundays use to be a time when people gathered at the church house to hear God’s Word. Many churches didn’t have Sunday School or youth programs and everyone was in the sanctuary to worship, hear God’s Word, and be together. Pews were filled and I heard a lady this past weekend say she remembered when there was no more room in the church, people gathered outside by the windows and doors to hear the preacher preach the Word. God was a priority. Family was a priority.
People will say, “It was a simpler time back then.” Was it? People worked hard from sun up to sun down, most families were fortunate to have one car, and most items were handmade. Yet with everything they had to do on any given day, they made time for God and church.
Unfortunately today, it seems God and church is no longer a priority in too many families. The empty pew is becoming more common in churches throughout our nation. I have heard it said the church needs to change with the times, the church needs to cater to the people, the church needs more programs, the church......
Whatever happened to the thought of the church raising disciples and ministering to the community? Whatever happened to the church being a place where people came to greet one another to share the Word of God and to encourage one another in a life of holiness and righteousness? Whatever happened to people wanting to serve instead of being served?
The empty pew breaks my heart. Are people just too busy for God or do they just not care anymore? Either way, as more and more churches close their doors and people begin to remember when there use to be a place where God’s people would gather, one day when all the church doors are closed, maybe then, just maybe, people will once again rediscover their thirst to know who God is and to be with one another for worship and prayer.
~Calvary Baptist Church, Sulphur, LA

i found this on face book and it Holds lots of truth . My 2 cents is if Church was so important in the days of Old . with wooden pews no a/c only a pot belly stove to heat with.. WHY is Church not important today ? something to think on ..once again i realize this subject does not draw fore like some of the post in the past

Hello forgiven;

In Romans 14:1 and 1 Corinthians 1:20 Paul teaches the mix in what you are sharing. This continues today and we must remain in fervent prayer over these things that continue in God’s Church.

I’m also aware what’s going on, brother, yet we should also recognize the blessings by the testimonies we hear daily.

In Uganda, Pastor Mayendes (CFS) and his Church members worship in a hut of bricks and sticks, a Church in Haiti walks miles to worship in a hut with a muddy floor, and Churches in countries surrounded by persecution from other antichrist sects still worship Jesus despite, many Churches in the USA are able to make their mortgage or rent to meet and worship, and on and on and on.

The Good News is God is not being thwarted by those who “take away His glory” from the shallow faiths you describe. God sees everything and encourages those who choose the narrow gate to press on!

1 Corinthians 15:58, Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord. - KJV

God bless you, Jerry.
Bob

Hello forgiven;

In Romans 14:1 and 1 Corinthians 1:20 Paul teaches the mix in what you are sharing. This continues today and we must remain in fervent prayer over these things that continue in God’s Church.

I’m also aware what’s going on, brother, yet we should also recognize the blessings by the testimonies we hear daily.

In Uganda, Pastor Mayendes (CFS) and his Church members worship in a hut of bricks and sticks, a Church in Haiti walks miles to worship in a hut with a muddy floor, and Churches in countries surrounded by persecution from other antichrist sects still worship Jesus despite, many Churches in the USA are able to make their mortgage or rent to meet and worship, and on and on and on.

The Good News is God is not being thwarted by those who “take away His glory” from the shallow faiths you describe. God sees everything and encourages those who choose the narrow gate to press on!

1 Corinthians 15:58, Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord. - KJV

God bless you, Jerry.
Bob
Good thought!

I went to Uganda several years ago to help build a building for Pastor Kismbo in Entebbe. Hot.....Dry.....Dusty and nothing but a tree to stand under, but he had 200 children there. They were all orphans from the civil war there. We partnered with a Presbyterian
missionary out reach and did the work in 2 weeks.

If you ever want a blessing in your life, go to where people have nothing and are glad to receive anything you will do for them. I was amazed at little 5 and 9 year olds, wanting to help. They would go and get nails, and saws and wood. It was tremendous.

i do recognize the Blessings of testimonies... but i also stand concerned of what i see at hand i was told of another possibility of another church shut down. the message Sunday morning was titled Knocked down but not Knocked out.. 2 cor 4 . far to many are giving up not even having much spiritual battle.. give you a example a couple in the Church i pastor was coming faithful. then all of sudden He quit coming i talked with his wife. told her she need stay the course stay in church. let him sit at home. ( yes i said that ) when it comes to Church so often men have so much pride they wont budge.

been there done that we dont see souls saved like we use to.. the older generation g parents had church in brush harbor tent revivals. weeks on end folks saved. the old Church had wood pews no cushion no central heat or air . pot belly wood stove for heat open windows for a/c .

today we have some of the most fanciest buildings . we have cushioned pews central heat and air running water .

now i recognize there are Churches with good attendance with folks saved.. America is in spiritual decline but there are Churches in 3rd world countries with nothing that have church i am glad for them but sad for the Churches that are in decline. we have a lady missionary coming this Sunday her husband is back in Guam trying to keep the church going..

he came home for 2 weeks and had go back . due to the fact to many times a church was going good and soon the missionaries left the Church. so if he left very long they would think he left to. while i appreciate you being positive. i also ask you understand and share my concern the fields are white but the laborer's are few.

Back