"The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" (a movie commentary)

MOVIE MIDRASH - “THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR”

I don’t know how many of you who are reading this are familiar with the movies of the 60s and 70s, but I wanted to comment on a movie that was made in 1948. In my opinion, it has a lot of symbolism that reminds us of the everlasting love of God.

The movie, which can be seen for free at the “Fmovies.to” website, is “The Ghost and Mrs. Muir”. The story takes place in turn-of-the-century England, perhaps between 1910-1920, judging on the types of motor-cars and the vestments of the characters.

Mrs. Muir is a young widow woman who is fed up with her in-laws and wants to rent a house by the sea-shore. She goes to a small town and finds what she is looking for, a house which rents for 55 Pounds (U.K) per month. The reason being is that it is a haunted house. No matter, she still wants it. She gets it and moves in with her servant companion.

Then the ghost appears. It is the ghost of a ship’s captain who died when he kicked over an oil-lamp with his “blasted foot” as he states. He doesn’t want her in the house, she doesn’t want to move out. OK, then she can stay. The ghost gives up. Yet in time, he grows fond of her, and she grows fond of him as well.

He decides to care for Mrs. Muir and provides for her needs. He writes a book, through her, called “Blood and Swash” and it is published. The income and proceeds from the book give her a living, and finally, she buys the house. The ghost cares for her, protects her, and is even watching over her when “Uncle Neddie” comes around and deceives her.

He is with her, even though he decides not to be visible to her anymore, all of her days. The time passes as the carving of the name of her daughter “Anna Muir” which was carved on a pier, gradually wears away, indicating the passing of time. Mrs. Muir grows old, and finally, sitting back in an easy chair and dropping a glass of milk, she “gives up the ghost.”

Who is there to take her hand and usher her into eternity but the ghost of the captain? He lovingly calls her “Luccia” Then, she is young again. The two go off into eternity.

Even though this is a fiction story, it illustrates the love of God toward believers, towards his beloved church. The ghost of the captain could symbolize God himself, and “Luccia” his beloved church, his “called out ones”. Love is spiritual. Our heavenly Father provides for our needs, just as the ghost of the captain did. As the Captain’s ghost wrote his book through the hands of Luccia, so our heavenly Father wrote HIS BOOK, the Bible, through the hands of his chosen writers.

Our Heavenly Father protects us against all the “bothersome in-laws” and the “Uncle Neddies” we meet up with. (not that all in-laws are bad, but some can be bothersome). And our heavenly Father will be with us, and keeping his eyes on us as we live our lives on this earth.

He will be there to receive us in eternity when death finally closes our eyes. I would recommend seeing this movie, as it will bring a few tears to your eyes. (it is in Black and White).

Rabbi Ben Avraham

I remember when I was little, there was a TV series I really enjoyed watching based on the novel/movie. I get what you are saying, although I dont agree with your analogy.

MOVIE MIDRASH - “THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR”

I don’t know how many of you who are reading this are familiar with the movies of the 60s and 70s, but I wanted to comment on a movie that was made in 1948. In my opinion, it has a lot of symbolism that reminds us of the everlasting love of God.

The movie, which can be seen for free at the “Fmovies.to” website, is “The Ghost and Mrs. Muir”. The story takes place in turn-of-the-century England, perhaps between 1910-1920, judging on the types of motor-cars and the vestments of the characters.

Mrs. Muir is a young widow woman who is fed up with her in-laws and wants to rent a house by the sea-shore. She goes to a small town and finds what she is looking for, a house which rents for 55 Pounds (U.K) per month. The reason being is that it is a haunted house. No matter, she still wants it. She gets it and moves in with her servant companion.

Then the ghost appears. It is the ghost of a ship’s captain who died when he kicked over an oil-lamp with his “blasted foot” as he states. He doesn’t want her in the house, she doesn’t want to move out. OK, then she can stay. The ghost gives up. Yet in time, he grows fond of her, and she grows fond of him as well.

He decides to care for Mrs. Muir and provides for her needs. He writes a book, through her, called “Blood and Swash” and it is published. The income and proceeds from the book give her a living, and finally, she buys the house. The ghost cares for her, protects her, and is even watching over her when “Uncle Neddie” comes around and deceives her.

He is with her, even though he decides not to be visible to her anymore, all of her days. The time passes as the carving of the name of her daughter “Anna Muir” which was carved on a pier, gradually wears away, indicating the passing of time. Mrs. Muir grows old, and finally, sitting back in an easy chair and dropping a glass of milk, she “gives up the ghost.”

Who is there to take her hand and usher her into eternity but the ghost of the captain? He lovingly calls her “Luccia” Then, she is young again. The two go off into eternity.

Even though this is a fiction story, it illustrates the love of God toward believers, towards his beloved church. The ghost of the captain could symbolize God himself, and “Luccia” his beloved church, his “called out ones”. Love is spiritual. Our heavenly Father provides for our needs, just as the ghost of the captain did. As the Captain’s ghost wrote his book through the hands of Luccia, so our heavenly Father wrote HIS BOOK, the Bible, through the hands of his chosen writers.

Our Heavenly Father protects us against all the “bothersome in-laws” and the “Uncle Neddies” we meet up with. (not that all in-laws are bad, but some can be bothersome). And our heavenly Father will be with us, and keeping his eyes on us as we live our lives on this earth.

He will be there to receive us in eternity when death finally closes our eyes. I would recommend seeing this movie, as it will bring a few tears to your eyes. (it is in Black and White).

Rabbi Ben Avraham

One of my very favorite black & white movies.
I'm glad those can still be viewed,those of my childhood!

Back