The Gospel In Genesis

Nintentacle

Inactive
Genesis 5

Genesis 5 contains the genealogy of Adam to Noah (Excluding Shem, Ham, and Japheth). This contains Adam, Seth, Enos, Cainan, Mahalaleel, Jared, Enoch, Methuselah, Lamech, and Noah. If you look at the definition of those names

Adam - Man (Note: First man)
Seth - Appointed (Note: Israel descends from him)
Enos - Mortal
Cainan - Sorrow

Mahlaleel - The blessed God
Jared - Shall come down
Enoch - Teaching
Methuselah - His death shall bring (Note: Methuselah died in the same year the flood happened)
Lamech - The despairing
Noah - Rest/Comfort (Note: "Rest" is often tied to Salvation in the Bible)

Put that together: Man appointed moral sorrow. The blessed God shall came down teaching his death shall bring the despairing comfort/rest.

Meaning, man is bound to be mortal and have sorrow, and God will come down teaching people his death will bring the sorrowful salvation (See what I said about Noah).

Genesis 22:

22:1-2 - "And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham, and said unto him, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am. And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of."

1) It's not that Isaac was his only Son, but he was the son of God's covenant, and was the only Son with Abraham at the time. Anyways, Abraham is going to give up his "only" Son . It's in the same way Adam was the "son of God", but Jesus was the only "Begotten" Son of God.

2) Moriah is where Jerusalem was in the future.

Part of verse 3 - "And Abraham rose up early in the morning, and saddled his ass"

When Jesus entered Jerusalem (Again, Moriah is where Jerusalem was to be), he was riding an Ass/Donkey.

Verse 4 - "Then on the third day Abraham lifted up his eyes, and saw the place afar off."

Jesus died in Jerusalem (Moriah), and rose the third day.

Verse 5 - "And Abraham said unto his young men, Abide ye here with the ass; and I and the lad will go yonder and worship, and come again to you."

Abraham, knowing full well what he was going to do to Isaac, implied that he was going to come back with Isaac. He was either lying (He was a godly man, though), wasn't actually going to do it (Obviously not true, look at verse 10), or thought he was going to rise from the dead (Like Jesus actually did, in the same area Abraham was at at the time)

Verse 8 - "And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together."

Jesus is the Lamb of God.

I think this is an interesting idea because when I attended my great grandmother's Sunday School, each lesson somehow connected to a prediction of the coming of the messiah. She never mentioned either of the above stories, but still, they seem like likely ideas.

Yes, I have heard this preached from the platform in our fellowship by Pastor Graeme. Wonderful and marvellous is the word of God. So many levels of allegory unto the coming Messiah. Look at the Psalms another inspired source.
It is said by Bible commentators of old that the Old Testament is the New concealed, and that the New Testament is the Old revealed. This is of truth.

Back