The Heart ? The Brain ?

Where is our seat of emotions or of conscienceness?

The word states that the heart is deceitful, who can know It?

Pro.23:
For as he THINKETH in his heart,so is he:..........
Ez.28:6
Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; Because thou hast set thine heart as the heart of God.

We ARE told to THINK on these things Phil.4:8, 2Cor.10:7,

There are 62 instances of the word "THINK " in the KJ bible
There are 765 instances of the word " HEART" in the KJ bible.

The synapses in our brain is a very fast firing, it is full of electrical impulses, most of which are not in use in life.
Has God added this for the last of our journey from life to eternal life ?

Medicine and science consider the brain and the heart as organs that preform a primordial function.
While the brain is in continuous firing mode receiving messages from the rest of the nerves ( highways in body), the heart has four chambers that perform the function of pulling oxygenated blood forward and out to the body,then recycling it back to be receive oxygen again , a repetive cycle.

I want to explore with you the spiritual side of our organs as opposed to the natural side.

What makes us who we are ?
What makes us love?
What makes us Believe?

Every human is GIVEN A MEASURE OF FAITH BY GOD ! Rms 12:3

Where is our seat of emotions or of conscienceness?

The word states that the heart is deceitful, who can know It?

Pro.23:
For as he THINKETH in his heart,so is he:..........
Ez.28:6
Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; Because thou hast set thine heart as the heart of God.

We ARE told to THINK on these things Phil.4:8, 2Cor.10:7,

There are 62 instances of the word "THINK " in the KJ bible
There are 765 instances of the word " HEART" in the KJ bible.

The synapses in our brain is a very fast firing, it is full of electrical impulses, most of which are not in use in life.
Has God added this for the last of our journey from life to eternal life ?

Medicine and science consider the brain and the heart as organs that preform a primordial function.
While the brain is in continuous firing mode receiving messages from the rest of the nerves ( highways in body), the heart has four chambers that perform the function of pulling oxygenated blood forward and out to the body,then recycling it back to be receive oxygen again , a repetive cycle.

I want to explore with you the spiritual side of our organs as opposed to the natural side.

What makes us who we are ?
What makes us love?
What makes us Believe?

Every human is GIVEN A MEASURE OF FAITH BY GOD ! Rms 12:3

The BRAIN.

The "Heart" is a muscle that pumps blood as the Brain directs it to.

The BRAIN.

The "Heart" is a muscle that pumps blood as the Brain directs it to.

YET a person can be brain dead and still have a beating heart . If the brain is dead or without it's impulses to engage in life ,is that person essentially DEAD?

Can God still touch them in their place of being be it brain or heart?

Our soul, maybe?
I've often wondered where the spirit and soul of a man is located.
Genesis says that GOD BREATHED INTO MAN AND HE BECAME A ........LIVING SOUL.
We know that God has 3 parts and that we are made after his fashion .Where is it that he encased in our houses of clay the soul and spirit, for the body.

I disagree that the heart is just a muscle that pumps blood.
I understand as general rule, women are emotional and men rational in their ways.

Have you ever felt in your chest, where your heart muscle is located, when talking to God that warm heated feeling of love ?

Great topic, Devoted!

I have quite a few questions related to this topic, but first want to see which direction this thread takes.

Blessings!

Last edited:
YET a person can be brain dead and still have a beating heart . If the brain is dead or without it's impulses to engage in life ,is that person essentially DEAD?

Can God still touch them in their place of being be it brain or heart?

I am not a Dr. of medicine. However, I do think that the heart's electrical system can keep the organ beating for a short time after a person becomes brain-dead — if the person in on a ventilator to keep blood flowing. But without a ventilator to keep blood and oxygen moving, this beating would stop very quickly, usually in less than an hour. I did not take the time to look it up though.

I disagree that the heart is just a muscle that pumps blood.
I understand as general rule, women are emotional and men rational in their ways.

Have you ever felt in your chest, where your heart muscle is located, when talking to God that warm heated feeling of love ?

Could that be an emotional responce????

Seems to me that the brain would stimulate the body, to the fight-or-flight response.
Wouldn't adrenaline glans kick in and give us an emotional responce.

When that happens......to me, I do not know about every one else but I
notice some physical changes, such as an increase in my heart rate
breathing rate and blood sugar along with perspiration.

I sweat like a hog from my head!

Again, I do not really know but IMHO, those emotions are controlled by the brain not the heart.

I could be totally wrong so I am glad it does not matter one way or the other.

Seems to me that the brain would stimulate the body, to the fight-or-flight response.

Again, I do not really know but IMHO, those emotions are controlled by the brain not the heart.

What you've described is "Fight or flight" which means if something startled or frightens us our body responds with an overflow of adrenaline and endorphins to either fight the enemy or run away as fast as possible.
I am not a Dr. of medicine. However, I do think that the heart's electrical system can keep the organ beating for a short time after a person becomes brain-dead — if the person in on a ventilator to keep blood flowing. But without a ventilator to keep blood and oxygen moving, this beating would stop very quickly, usually in less than an hour. I did not take the time to look it up though.

A person can live in a coma and a vegetative state for years.

IM NOT INTERESTED IN BIOLOGY Even though in my former life I was in the medical field !

I'm wanting to discuss where our seat of emotion or conscience is and how God sees it.

Surely as a pastor of many years you've had a spiritual discussion with a parishner in this topic.

You are free to disagree but not dismiss the topic. If you have no desire for discussion then, later gater.

Isn’t The source of emotions the heart in the bible. ?
I doubt when the bible speaks of the heart it means the physical heart. I think it’s a metaphor for our affections. And yes our hearts are deceitful because, as an example…
When we *think/ feel like someone is the cause of our feelings then we are misled. They might trigger a belief and we make a snap moral judgement which causes us to feel aggrieved. Or, we could want something that is totally not in our best wishes.

Most Spiritual traditions say We shouldn’t identify with our thoughts/ feelings, because doing so causes much suffering. The bible says everything belongs to God, so does that even include our thoughts and our feelings?

The feeling I described when talking with our beloved Lord IS AN EMOTIONAL RESPONSE AND SPIRITUAL as well.. We are COMMANDED by both the Father in the OT and Jesus in the new to LOVE the Lord you God with all your heart, strength, soul, mind and body.

Interesting question

I'm thinking it might be neither heart nor brain but in the lungs

As God breathed in man and he became a living soul. ??
So must be in the respiratory system?

Interesting question

I'm thinking it might be neither heart nor brain but in the lungs

As God breathed in man and he became a living soul. ??
So must be in the respiratory system?

Oh Lanolin,God has given me a spirit of joy for you and your post.
Keep plugging away, read to the END of the chapter, then begin another.

Isn’t The source of emotions the heart in the bible. ?
I doubt when the bible speaks of the heart it means the physical heart. I think it’s a metaphor for our affections. And yes our hearts are deceitful because, as an example…
When we *think/ feel like someone is the cause of our feelings then we are misled. They might trigger a belief and we make a snap moral judgement which causes us to feel aggrieved. Or, we could want something that is totally not in our best wishes.

Most Spiritual traditions say We shouldn’t identify with our thoughts/ feelings, because doing so causes much suffering. The bible says everything belongs to God, so does that even include our thoughts and our feelings?

Hmmm,I'm not sure about most spiritual traditions. We identify as a whole before God and he has a plan for the whole of man.

God is a Spirit: and they that worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth.
Jesus was talking to the Samaritan woman when he said this in Jn.4:24

Let's look at the first word Spirit it is capitalized yet the second word spirit is not. We know within us is the image of the Godhead. The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, therefore we have a soul, a spirit and a body. Now the spirit of men 1 Cor.2:11 says this, For what man KNOWETH the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is IN him?
Even so the things of God KNOWETH no man,but the Spirit of God. There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY a person can KNOW God anyway but by the Spirit of God!

Every living human being has in his body the spirit of man. When we come to a saving knowledge of God and we accept him he puts His Spirit in place of man's spirit. Rms.8:9 But ye are NOT in the flesh,but in the Spirit, if so be the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now IF any man have NOT the Spirit of Christ,he is NONE of his.

With the change in spirit from man to the Spirit of God within ,where do you suppose it rest to motivate us; our heart ? Our brain ?

We want to examine the seat of what we are in God. Yes Via we must give all our thought our feelings and our body to Him ALL.

You are free to disagree but not dismiss the topic. If you have no desire for discussion then, later gater.
Romans 12:2........

"Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will."

Ephesians 4:23........
"And be renewed in the spirit of your mind".

Back