The Holy Spirit In Christian Living

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusty

Inactive
The Holy Spirit In Christian Living

The Holy Spirit In Christian Life

First of all I have to say that the Holy Spirit points us to Jesus . The Holy Spirit is our source of Power in weakness . I am focusing on the writings of Luke and Paul .

Luke uses experimental language to emphasize powerful and purposeful encounters with the Holy Spirit. And here are some examples :

Baptized “ with the Spirit ( Acts 1:5 ) Filled with the Spirit ( Acts 2:4 ) .. “ Receiving ‘ the Spirit ( Acts 8:15 ) Spirit came upon ( Acts 19: 6 Spirit poured out( Acts 10:455) Spirit fell upon ( Acts 11:150 Spirit was given ( Acts 15:8 ) Full of the Spirit ( Acts 6:3 )

Luke tells us about overwhelming experiences … moments with the H. S. and encounters with the H. S. and is trying to write about them so that they make sense to us and recounting the empowerment to our witness for Christ .

Peter tries to tell us about the event from Joel in the O. T. that the H. S. is perceptible and transformational . This experience transforms the disciples as swell saw on the day of Pentecost.

Jesus calls us to be witnesses , but it is beyond our ability ; we need the Spirit’s help ( Luke 24:49;Acts 1:5, 8 )

On the day of Pentecost the Spirit was given to the church in a new way ( Acts 2:1-4 , 12-18 ) The promised Spirit is now here to help Christians . Tongues demonstrates the goal of the Spirit’s enabling – to be a witness to all people, empowering ( enabling ) experiences with the Spirit are to be expected as a normal part of Christian life ( Acts 2:38 -39)

Tongues was the goal as Jesus wanted the disciples to be witnesses not for their own benefit but for the benefit of other people . Luke is pinpointing that the H. S. comes to empower us for service .

Jewish believers had other moments when Spirit re – enabled them ( helped them by giving them new strength and boldness ) ( Acts 4: 31) Other Christians ( Non – Jewish ) also experienced the Spirit in tangible ways ( Acts 8 : 18 -19 ; 10:44-47 )

Spirit – baptism is an experience of empowerment that is distinct from and occurs after ( subsequent to ) one’s experience of the new birth . The initial evidence or Biblical sign of this experience of Spirit baptism is speaking in tongues. Tongues signifies the meaning of Spirit baptism ( see Acts 2) Supernatural empowering is dependent on the Holy Spirit . and for the purpose of witness in word and deed . Tongues signifies the inclusive scope of Christian mission in all languages and cultures . The only evidence of Spirit Baptism in tongues .

Paul closely associates the presence of the Spirit with power ( Rom 15: 13 ; 1 Thess. 1:5 ; 1 Cor. 5 :4 ) Power refers to the perceptible manifestations of the Spirit , including such things as miracles , healings and conversions ( 1 Cor. : 2 : 4-5 ) . Believers can experience the Spirit as peace amidst turmoil ( Phil 4: 6-7 )

The Holy Spirit helped Paul intimately communicate with God when he reached the end of his understanding ( Rom 8:26-27; 1Cor. 14:4, 15, 18 )

Finally there are 2 extremes to avoid – fear and fanaticism . Both of these can be placed in the proper context by realizing that all believers have a living relationship with the loving Holy Spirit .Our approach should be with an attitude of humility .

I'm such a new Christian that I don't even know what all I don't know. Are these scriptures saying that if the Holy Spirit dwells within you that you will speak in tongues? I feel something in my being that I think may be the Holy Spirit, but I have not spoken in tongues. Am I missing something?

I'm such a new Christian that I don't even know what all I don't know. Are these scriptures saying that if the Holy Spirit dwells within you that you will speak in tongues? I feel something in my being that I think may be the Holy Spirit, but I have not spoken in tongues. Am I missing something?

I know this can all be confusing to a new Christian but we need to remember that we all have the Holy Spirit when we received Christ as our personal Saviour .

First we accepted Christ ... then we can be water baptised as a proclamation of our faith to give our testimony that we are going to follow Jesus and then there is the baptism of the Holy Spirit as I said with the evidence of speaking in tongues which empowers us and enables us , just as it did the disciples in the book of Acts to be better witnesses for Christ.

I would suggest to you to study some of the other threads as well in this section to give you better information about the Holy Spirit. I don't mean to confuse you at this time so take it one step at a time .

The Baptism in the Hloy Spirit is an experience in which the believer yields control of himself to the Holy Spirit ( Matt 3:11 ; Acts 1:5 ; Eph 5:18 ) Through this he comes to know Christ in a more intimate way .

Baptism in the Holy Spirit is distinct from and subsequent to conversion , and is accompanied by the initial evidence of speaking in tongues just as they did on the day of Pentecost.

I also believe that while the H. S. comes to transform and indell us when we become a believer there is also a need of an experience that Jesus referred to as the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. . This is an experience of power for service for those who are already believers in Christ.

To try and summarize , empowerment is given subsequent to conversion for continuing the ministry of Christ. It is a vocal gift . It is to help Christians live out the commission of Christ as a prophetic community . As one opens their life to this new dimention in the Spirit a new power for evangelism and living a Christain life should result .

Please note and this is important ..... The Baptism in the Spirit does not come through water baptism . Water baptism is not the same as Baptism In the Holy Spirit.

I hope this helps and does not confuse.

Is there a scripture that states that you MUST speak in tongues to have the baptism in the Holy Spirit or is it just assumed since they did on the day of penticost when they were all baptised in the upper room with the Spirit and with fire and spoke in tongues?

I am asking because I dont know of anyone that gets a tongue of fire resting on them when they get baptised in the Holy Spirit now but that doesnt mean they didnt get the baptism.....so I do have to wonder if it is possible to recieve the baptism of the Holy Spirit and not speak in tongues. But if you can show me scripture that says it is a must then I will be very open to that. Tongues is only one gift of the Holy Spirit. There is also scripture that says some were baptised and spoke with boldness.

blessings,
mary

The initial evidence of the Baptism in the Holy Spirit is speaking in other tongues as the Spirit gives utterance . ( Acts 2: 1-4 , 39 ; 9:17;1 Cor. 14:18) This experience is distinct from and subsequent to , the experience of the new birth ( Acts 8: 12-17; 10: 44-46). In other words because we already have the H. S. living in us so it is a more intimate experience for our spiritual growth .

I don't think it is a tongue of fire so to speak but my experience was a feeling of warmth and sort of uncontolled shaking and a feeling in the depths of my being . It is hard to describe because each one is ministered to in different ways , some fall on the floor , some laugh uncontrolledly and myself like I said have never fallen under the power of the Holy Spirit so suffice to say each one is individual and the Holy Spirit treats them in different ways .

One meeting I was in and we were all worshipping the Lord ;I felt a cool breeze pass by and I was in the middle of a large auditorium so there was no windows or anything and I believe it was the Holy Spirit. It was awesome .

Thanks Mary ... Hope that helps .

Is there a scripture that states that you MUST speak in tongues to have the baptism in the Holy Spirit or is it just assumed since they did on the day of penticost when they were all baptised in the upper room with the Spirit and with fire and spoke in tongues?

I am asking because I dont know of anyone that gets a tongue of fire resting on them when they get baptised in the Holy Spirit now but that doesnt mean they didnt get the baptism.....so I do have to wonder if it is possible to recieve the baptism of the Holy Spirit and not speak in tongues. But if you can show me scripture that says it is a must then I will be very open to that. Tongues is only one gift of the Holy Spirit. There is also scripture that says some were baptised and spoke with boldness.

blessings,
mary

Thanks Dusty:)

It really is awesome to see how the Holy Spirit interacts with each individual. I have seen and experienced awesome things and it is just so wonderful to feel and know that it is our Lord.

I was in a church one time and were were deep in worship, just wonderful worship and I saw Jesus walk up the center isle of the church....no words can even explain it!

hugs,
Mary

Thanks Dusty:)

It really is awesome to see how the Holy Spirit interacts with each individual. I have seen and experienced awesome things and it is just so wonderful to feel and know that it is our Lord.

I was in a church one time and were were deep in worship, just wonderful worship and I saw Jesus walk up the center isle of the church....no words can even explain it!

hugs,
Mary

Awesome , Mary and that is exactly the point The Holy Spirit is personal and relates to each of us differently .

Some one was talking about fire and wind and that is described in Acts 2: 1-4 and relates to the disciples as being fearful even tthough they were witnesses to the resurrection. These events are uniquely to that day as an indication of the arrival of the Holy Spirt so I don't think we can say that happens in our day . They are non - repeatable events , namely wind and fire .

However , the filling is something believers can experience today . The accompanying sign on the day of Pentecost was speaking in tongues as the H. S. gave utterance . This is a gift for all believers in Jesus Christ. As we open up our lives to this new dimention in the Spirit , a new power for evangelism and living a Christian life should result .

When we receive Jesus into our lives, be are born of the Spirit and He is in us. Our dead spirit has been regenerated by the Holy Spirit and we are alive to God. We have been born again.

This is not the same as being filled/baptised with the Spirit but two differnet things.

At the new birth (when we are saved) we were baptised BY the Holy Spirit INTO CHRIST. We who were born again are all chilrdren of God and in the family of God

1 Corinthians 12:13
For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit

Then after salvation, if we ask and recieve, you will be filled/baptised WITH the Holy Spirit BY JESUS

Matthew 3:11
I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance. but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire

When we receive Jesus into our lives, be are born of the Spirit and He is in us. Our dead spirit has been regenerated by the Holy Spirit and we are alive to God. We have been born again.

This is not the same as being filled/baptised with the Spirit but two differnet things.

At the new birth (when we are saved) we were baptised BY the Holy Spirit INTO CHRIST. We who were born again are all chilrdren of God and in the family of God

For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit

Then after salvation, if we ask and recieve, you will be filled/baptised WITH the Holy Spirit BY JESUS

Matthew 3:11
I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance. but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire

Exactly ... Praise God thanks

Some people teach that. I'm filled with the Holy Spirit of Jesus Christ Resurrected, but I've never been around other nationalities so I've never had reason to ask Him for that gift, nor have I ever spoken in another tongue than English. But I've received even greater Gifts of His Spirit and so can you if you desire them :)
I desire the Greatest Gifts... and my Lord Gives them to me :)

(1Co 12:31) But desire earnestly the greater gifts. And moreover a most excellent way show I unto you.

Love is of course, that greatest Gift as He describes in 1 Cor 13. Other gifts are;

(1Co 12:28)
And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondly prophets, thirdly teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, divers kinds of tongues.

1Co 12:4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.
1Co 12:5 And there are diversities of ministrations, and the same Lord.
1Co 12:6 And there are diversities of workings, but the same God, who worketh all things in all.
1Co 12:7 But to each one is given the manifestation of the Spirit to profit withal.
1Co 12:8 For to one is given through the Spirit the word of wisdom; and to another the word of knowledge, according to the same Spirit:
1Co 12:9 to another faith, in the same Spirit; and to another gifts of healings, in the one Spirit;
1Co 12:10 and to another workings of miracles; and to another prophecy; and to another discernings of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; and to another the interpretation of tongues:
1Co 12:11 but all these worketh the one and the same Spirit, dividing to each one severally even as he will.
1Co 12:12 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of the body, being many, are one body; so also is Christ.
1Co 12:13 For in one Spirit were we all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether bond or free; and were all made to drink of one Spirit.
1Co 12:14 For the body is not one member, but many.
1Co 12:15 If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; it is not therefore not of the body.
1Co 12:16 And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; it is not therefore not of the body.
1Co 12:17 If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling?
1Co 12:18 But now hath God set the members each one of them in the body, even as it pleased him.
1Co 12:19 And if they were all one member, where were the body?
1Co 12:20 But now they are many members, but one body.
1Co 12:21 And the eye cannot say to the hand, I have no need of thee: or again the head to the feet, I have no need of you.
1Co 12:22 Nay, much rather, those members of the body which seem to be more feeble are necessary:
1Co 12:23 and those parts of the body, which we think to be less honorable, upon these we bestow more abundant honor; and our uncomely parts have more abundant comeliness;
1Co 12:24 whereas our comely parts have no need: but God tempered the body together, giving more abundant honor to that part which lacked;
1Co 12:25 that there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another.
1Co 12:26 And whether one member suffereth, all the members suffer with it; or one member is honored, all the members rejoice with it.
1Co 12:27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and severally members thereof.
1Co 12:28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondly prophets, thirdly teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, divers kinds of tongues.
1Co 12:29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
1Co 12:30 have all gifts of healings? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

Blessings to you beautiful New Christian Son of God!

Your Brother always
Son of Jesus

Some people teach that. I'm filled with the Holy Spirit of Jesus Christ Resurrected, but I've never been around other nationalities so I've never had reason to ask Him for that gift, nor have I ever spoken in another tongue than English. But I've received even greater Gifts of His Spirit and so can you if you desire them :)
I desire the Greatest Gifts... and my Lord Gives them to me :)

God Bless you for that .Praise God . You are a blessed man .

I just want to explain a little more if I may . Yes you are right about the Spiritual Gifts but the Gift of speaking in tongues is also one of the gifts that we as believers can have and by receiving the Baptism of the Holy Spirit it gives us more power to be a better witness for our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

As we desire more of Jesus and learn more about the H. S. we can also be baptised in the Holy Spirit over and above what we have already recieved . For me it is a sign also that Jesus is there comforting me and when I am overfowed and worshipping and enamoured with my Jesus I cannot speak in English as the Spirit takes over my speach . Afterwards there is such peace that flows from within that I cannot explain . Like I said before the H. S. is personal and I cannot emphasize that enough as He empowers each one in a different way . It's an awesome experience .

As said before every one who is a born again Christian is Spirit filled as we were filled with the Spirit when we received Jesus as our personal Saviour .

I have also experienced the Baptism of the Holy Spirit with evidence of speaking in tongues . The tongues that I speak are not for edification of the church but for my own personal prayer life as sometimes when I don’t know what to pray the Holy Spirit prays for me . Any believer can experience the Baptism of the Holy Spirit and it is not something that just happened in Acts but is for all Christians today who desire more of Jesus and want to walk in fullness of life.

On the day of Pentecost the H. S. was given to the church in a new way ( Acts 2:1-4 ; 12-18) Tongues demonstrates the goal of the Spirit’s enabling --- to be a witness to all people. Jesus calls us to be witness , but it is beyond our ability ; we need the H. S. ‘s help ( Luke 24:49; Acts 1:5; 8)

Paul closely associates the presence of the Spirit with” Power “ ( Rom. 15:13; 1Thess1:5; 1Cor 5:4)

Yes there are gifts of the H. S. and the Greek word for spiritual gifts is charismata ( gifts) and pneumatika ( spiritual things / men) Other words used for the spiritual gifts include service --- workings and manifestations ( 1Cor. 12 :4-7)

Every believer has one or more than one spiritual gifting to be used for service in the church ( 1Cor:12:7).We as Christians need to pursue these gifts to meet the needs in the Body of Christ. These gifts bring unity to the Body and help us corporately to love one another and worship in unity .They also help to build up the church . – to be the temple that will glorify God . The H. S. is the source of ministry and we need to participate along with that.

The purpose of Spiritual Gifts is for service , working and manifestations . ( 1Cor. 12:4 ) Our effectiveness for God is always dependant on the H. S.

Here is a listing of the gifts.

Service …. Serving/helpful … giving …. Caring … mercy… acts of Guidance ( 1Cor12:28)administration … celibacy ( 1Cor7:7)

Miracles … Faith …. When a person receives a faith that leads to “ mountain moving faith “ 1Cor 13:2)….. gifts of healing …. Working of miracles.

Inspired Utterance …. Apostle ( missionary ) …. Evangelism … Prophecy …. Pastor … Teacher… Exhortation…. Word of Knowledge… Word of Wisdom… Gift of Tongues …. Interpretation of Tongues …. Discernment of spirits.

God Bless

Dear S o J.... Let me just clear up something that you said as well . You said you have never been around other nationalities so don't have the need for that gift. The gift of tongues is your heavenly language and does not necessarily have to be another foreign language .... but it could be . It has nothing to do with being around other nationalities.

We have people in our church who have the gift of interpretaion of tongues and when some one gives a message they will interpret for the congregation what the Lord has said and it is for exortation for the Body of Christ. Most times the message is pertaining to the Pastor's message and Lord speaks through this individual .

But that is another gifting and is part and parcel of all the giftings listed .

I have explained it above and also in the other thread that Jeff started.

Dear S o J.... Let me just clear up something that you said as well . You said you have never been around other nationalities so don't have the need for that gift. The gift of tongues is your heavenly language and does not necessarily have to be another foreign language .... but it could be . It has nothing to do with being around other nationalities.

We have people in our church who have the gift of interpretaion of tongues and when some one gives a message they will interpret for the congregation what the Lord has said and it is for exortation for the Body of Christ. Most times the message is pertaining to the Pastor's message and Lord speaks through this individual .

But that is another gifting and is part and parcel of all the giftings listed .

I have explained it above and also in the other thread that Jeff started.

Dear Dusty,

Jesus fills me with His Holy Spirit continually, more and more every moment of every day... His Kingdom is Strong and Powerful within me, I am dead and He is alive... and He speaks clearly to me :) He is that still small voice behind me continually speaking to me directing me, "this is the way Son, walk ye in it" I praise Him So that He is with me!

And there isn't one Word He Speaks to me that I don't understand fully...
Neither is there a word I speak to Him that He and I don't understand fully...

I also know that the reason that the Apostles on Pentecost spoke in other tongues is so that those men of other nations could understand them in their own language.

(Act 2:4) And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
(Act 2:5) And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.

It was a fulfilment of;

(Zep 3:9)
For then will I turn to the people a pure language, that they may all call upon the name of the LORD, to serve him with one consent.

And it was the reversal and opposite of;

(Gen 11:7) Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.

And as promised it was certainly not a language that others couldn't understand;

(Isa 33:19) Thou shalt not see a fierce people, a people of a deeper speech than thou canst perceive; of a stammering tongue, that thou canst not understand.

(That describes me :)

When I speak it will not be of a stammering form of speech than can not be understood, I promise you :)

So here at Pentecost were all these different Nations gathered,

(Act 2:8) And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

(Act 2:9) Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,

(Act 2:10)Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,

(Act 2:11) Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

(Act 2:12) And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this?

(Act 2:4) And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
(Act 2:5) And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.

If my Father would like to use me as this where different tongues are spoken, I am His and He knows it :) and can use me in any way He likes!

But for now, Praising Him in English! Lol

Son Of Jesus

Praise God son of J....Thank you

I respect your answer and we can all worship Him in spirit and in truth . The Holy Spirit is not a force .... he is a gentleman and yes He continually fills me as well as long as I am close to Him and read, pray and honour Him in everything I do and say.

We all belong to the Body of Christ and each one has their part just as each has their gifting and my gifting might not be the same as your gifting . Just as Christ says we are all to worship in unity .

Praise God son of J....Thank you

I respect your answer and we can all worship Him in spirit and in truth . The Holy Spirit is not a force .... he is a gentleman and yes He continually fills me as well as long as I am close to Him and read, pray and honour Him in everything I do and say.

We all belong to the Body of Christ and each one has their part just as each has their gifting and my gifting might not be the same as your gifting . Just as Christ says we are all to worship in unity .

Thank you Dusty :) You are very kind.
Yes! The Holy Spirit that Lives within me is truly a gentleman lol. His Name is Jesus Christ Resurrected and Glorified, and within Him is all the Power that exists in Heaven and Earth! He gives me all good gifts, He is my Father of Lights :)

May you be so Blessed!
Son of Jesus

Thank you Dusty :) You are very kind.
Yes! The Holy Spirit that Lives within me is truly a gentleman lol. His Name is Jesus Christ Resurrected and Glorified, and within Him is all the Power that exists in Heaven and Earth! He gives me all good gifts, He is my Father of Lights :)

May you be so Blessed!
Son of Jesus

Amen and may our Lord Jesus Christ continue to bless you and your household . He is the Light of the world ( Unfortunately many have not found Him ) but we are the salt and light and must be ambassadors for Him where ever we go . Praise His Name ... the Name that is above every other name.

Blessings ,
Dusty

As said before every one who is a born again Christian is Spirit filled as we were filled with the Spirit when we received Jesus as our personal Saviour .

Hi, Dusty!

Earlier on LukeLuke and I had a long discussion about this very matter.

Do you know of Scripture indicating that we're filled at conversion, rather than the other view that we receive the Spirit then (else clearly we couldn't become born again), but that being filled with the Spirit may then be a later experience.

Blessings! Wonderful to have you around!

- BM

Hi Bondman ,

I am sorry I did not get back to you but with all the Christmas activities , I have been busy . I will try to explain and give you scriptures .

As you asked for scriptures to distinguish between being filled with the Spirit and Baptised in the Spirit .

John 3:6

6Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. 7You should not be surprised at my saying, 'You[ must be born again.' 8The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit."

Titus 3:5

5he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit,

To me renewal or regeneration is being filled with the Holy Spirit.

Romans 8:9

9You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ.

13For we were all baptized by one Spirit into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink.

When we accept Christ, the Holy Spirit begins a great work in our lives . The Spirit convicts us of sin , convinces us of righteousness , and dwells within us. No one can become a Christian without the gracious work of the Holy Spirit.

However people also ask why we should be baptized in the Holy Spirit and can we receive eternal life in heaven without the baptism of the Holy Spirit . ?
I would say that eternal life does not depend on being baptized in the Holy Spirit , for salvation is by grace through faith alone.

The Bible does not say the baptism of the Spirit is required for salvation . It does tell us that Christ commanded His first followers to wait for the Holy Spirit to come upon them

Baptism in the Holy Spirit is a personal encounter to be sought for a fuller dimension of spiritual understanding and empowerment and comes later as we seek the Lord for more of Him Every one does have different experiences and I can attribute mine to when I was deep in prayer about difficulties in my life that I could not imagine happening and when I was praying , I felt like an electricity go through my body and I could not control my tongue and I could not speak English . I don’t know how long this happened but after , I felt the peace that passes all understanding knowing that God was working it all out for my good as I released the problem to Him .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back