The Kindness of Strangers

I thought it might be nice to share a post about our experiences with strangers that have shown extraordinary kindness. Please share your own acts of kindness helping strangers if you like.

Here in the United States, helping strangers directly like letting them stay in your home or even taking them to dinner is a rare event indeed. Most of us would see that as just too dangerous or risky.

My wife was traveling with her mother to Australia. At the last minute I was unable to go with her due to circumstances beyond our control. When my wife landed in Australia she was lost at first in the city of Sydney. It was here though that she met a kind stranger. The woman and her husband brought her into their home, shared meals, and acted as tourist guides for several days. They even helped her get to the airport for the flight to New Zealand. My wife attempted to pay her for the generous kindness, but the women refused any kind of payment.

My wife still corresponds with this woman who treated her better than a blood relative living in Australia. For my wife this was the fondest memory she has of Australia.

I remember some kind strangers in Singapore inviting me to their home for a home cooked meal when I stayed over there as a student.

So I live at home with my folks.
I once invited a wwoofer I had met wwoofing by herself to stay for a night, over easter and invited them to church the next day, and showed her Waiheke Island and the museum. She didn't have to do any work at my place to earn keep as we don't have a farm. Mum wasn't very happy though, even though it was only for one night. She came from New Caledonia and spoke spanish and only basic english. She went on to explore the country.

Otherwise, we never have guests, and I've never even had a sleepover. I think its a combo of things that make mum distrustful, even my school friends I could never invite over as she would give them the third degree and suspect them of stealing things (lock up everything!) or disrupting her life. We're not rich though so theres nothing to steal or maybe she's ashamed of looking poor in front of others...I don't know!
I can't have bible studies or anything regular like that.

However, I've worked in public libraries and we are open for anyone, even strangers that aren't borrowing books. Most everything in the public library is free to borrow. If people need help, all they need to do is ask. I guess that is a different kind of kindness and hospitality than providing meals and a bed, but, if words are food, we have plenty of meaty books, and nobody bats an eye if you want to take a nap in the library (just don't snore). We have books in other langauges too, so it's not that you have to read in English. Plus picture books. We don't judge anyone, just accept people for who they are (and yes, it was dangerous and risky at times).

At church we have a free community meal and open to anyone. I had helped out in the kitchen. I have given rides to some back to where they are staying after dark. I don't think people should be walking around alone in the dark. I just do simple things, often I can't offer much...

I have adopted several cats though (or maybe they had adopted me) and given them a home. Some had been abandoned by their previous owners.

At school a lot of waifs and strays come into the library. They come for refuge. Like I do!

I remember some kind strangers in Singapore inviting me to their home for a home cooked meal when I stayed over there as a student.

So I live at home with my folks.
I once invited a wwoofer I had met wwoofing by herself to stay for a night, over easter and invited them to church the next day, and showed her Waiheke Island and the museum. She didn't have to do any work at my place to earn keep as we don't have a farm. Mum wasn't very happy though, even though it was only for one night. She came from New Caledonia and spoke spanish and only basic english. She went on to explore the country.

Otherwise, we never have guests, and I've never even had a sleepover. I think its a combo of things that make mum distrustful, even my school friends I could never invite over as she would give them the third degree and suspect them of stealing things (lock up everything!) or disrupting her life. We're not rich though so theres nothing to steal or maybe she's ashamed of looking poor in front of others...I don't know!
I can't have bible studies or anything regular like that.

However, I've worked in public libraries and we are open for anyone, even strangers that aren't borrowing books. Most everything in the public library is free to borrow. If people need help, all they need to do is ask. I guess that is a different kind of kindness and hospitality than providing meals and a bed, but, if words are food, we have plenty of meaty books, and nobody bats an eye if you want to take a nap in the library (just don't snore). We have books in other langauges too, so it's not that you have to read in English. Plus picture books. We don't judge anyone, just accept people for who they are (and yes, it was dangerous and risky at times).

At church we have a free community meal and open to anyone. I had helped out in the kitchen. I have given rides to some back to where they are staying after dark. I don't think people should be walking around alone in the dark. I just do simple things, often I can't offer much...

I have adopted several cats though (or maybe they had adopted me) and given them a home. Some had been abandoned by their previous owners.

At school a lot of waifs and strays come into the library. They come for refuge. Like I do!

Thanks we live in a world that often puts distance between us. Wisdom is necessary.

There are a multitude of ways that we can help one another. The Bible talks of hospitality especially within the church. Inviting a new member to many kinds of activity can be an act of love and great kindness. Perhaps it is better to not bring them to your home, that is an act of trust that might not always be wise. There are other safe ways to show kindness.

I also believe that God presents us with opportunities to serve. God knows our resources or lack thereof. In these situations walking forward trusting God benefits your relationship with God and can be an act of great kindness. Discretion is important just as is trusting in God.

I've been reading a few books by Helene Hanff, who was a New York writer who had a correspondence with a bookshop in London, where she bought her books via mail order. She wrote to the bookshop for over twenty years ordering titles that she couldn't get in New York.

One of the kind things she did that the Bookshop staff appreciated was send over food parcels as a gift as at the time, after the war, everyone was on rations. They'd get tinned ham and cheeses and things they couldn't have in London. She'd never met them in person, they only knew each other through correspondence. The sad thing was she never got to go to London until after the bookshop owner died, and then her book got published and it made her kind of famous, and then everyone wanted to invite her over and show her around!

The book is called 84, Charing Cross Road. It got made into a play, tv and film.

I recently watched a movie on YouTube called "Proof of Happiness" it was an excellent example of how kindness and love can really change people. God's way is a wonderful way of love.

cp

I don't recall doing any random acts of kindness or having anything like it done to me.

I think its not really something we do here in a city.

but in my village where I work, people are more friendly and tend to greet each other more.
I think trust issues would be the main thing for me. if someone asked me tp their home, I wouldn't go, out of fear of the unknown.

I don't recall doing any random acts of kindness or having anything like it done to me.

I think its not really something we do here in a city.

but in my village where I work, people are more friendly and tend to greet each other more.
I think trust issues would be the main thing for me. if someone asked me tp their home, I wouldn't go, out of fear of the unknown.

We live in a world today that greatly discourages kindness and love in many ways. Kindness can be expressed in a great many ways though. It can be an infectious smile, it can be a visit with the lonely, it can be helping in a soup kitchen, it can be conversation on the bus, etc.

Kindness is an approach to life that doesn't come natural to us especially in a world so full of negativity. It is a gift of God. Seeing Satan's influence in the world has probably never been clearer than it is today as we so much suffering, despair and mistrust.

We have to trust God. God who desires us to act in love, will find a way for us though even in this world. We must be wise also and prudent in what we do. Praying always for God's guidance in all things. It must be done in the Holy Spirit.

cp

We live in a world today that greatly discourages kindness and love in many ways. Kindness can be expressed in a great many ways though. It can be an infectious smile, it can be a visit with the lonely, it can be helping in a soup kitchen, it can be conversation on the bus, etc.

Kindness is an approach to life that doesn't come natural to us especially in a world so full of negativity. It is a gift of God. Seeing Satan's influence in the world has probably never been clearer than it is today as we so much suffering, despair and mistrust.

We have to trust God. God who desires us to act in love, will find a way for us though even in this world. We must be wise also and prudent in what we do. Praying always for God's guidance in all things. It must be done in the Holy Spirit.

cp
I think you hit the nail on the head.

Balancing prudence and kindness seems like hard work when we have be burned or taken advantage of.
Prudent giving is what I prefer after nowadays, and I think also that’s what Jesus meant when he said be kind to strangers. Use discrimination and seek God before doing things that seem to be ok, but could turn out badly.
Obviously like Major once said, somethings we don’t need to think about doing because most people all seem to have an instinct in reacting to seeing hurt people and can do the right thing without thinking. But again, there are some people who are manipulative like people like ted Bundy who apparently used to pretend he was injured in order to prey on those more naive

Back